Your Preference: Tip Up vs. Tip Down

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nomaded

Post by nomaded »

Ditto on the Tip Up.

Recently, I got a flurry of knives in (and my CC is really hurtin' because of it) and it seems that almost all of them are configured as tip-up only, or tip-up out of the factory. The only ones that weren't was the micarta Calypso Jr (which is tip-down only) and the trailing-point Lil' Temperance, which I quickly reconfigured for tip-up carry. Even the Salsa is tip-up only.
GlockDoc

Post by GlockDoc »

Tip down is the only way to go. This is purely a safety issue with me.

Years ago I had a tip up liner lock (production, not custom and NOT a Spyderco) come open in my pocket and when I put on my pants it felt like a grassburr scratched my leg. It was a scratch that took seven stitches to close!

The liner lock failed to provide enough tension to keep the blade closed. So with liner locks, compression locks, etc. I will stay with tip down.

Lockbacks OTOH have sufficent pressure on the blade to prevent unintentional opening and I will carry those tip up.

GD

I just thought of something....what if this thing can read minds? He's gonna be real mad when he gets to me.
judge

Post by judge »

Tip up for speed, tip down for safety (especially with liner locks). I like tip up more, a more natural, faster draw. My main folder carry is a large Sebbie (tip up integral) and a Carson large M4 (tip down liner lock). Wouldn´t want to carry the Carson tip up, great knife though.
liko

Post by liko »

Tip up. That's the way my Native carries, and that's the way I learned to draw it.

However, Tip-down can be just as fast, depending on how you grab the knife. In the following, I'm assuming that wrist-flick opening means grabbing the blade and flicking the handle open, ending in the same position as the thumb open. For handle wrist-flicking to hold the blade like a dagger, tip-up is definitely best, with the knife carried blade toward the center of your body.

Tip-up, wrist-flick open: knife rotates relative to your hand as you draw. Some shifting is required to move your hand from handle to blade.

Tip-down, wrist-flick: knife moves with your hand, but again a little shifting is necessary to move your fingers from handle to blade.

Tip-up, thumb open: Knife is very secure in your hand from the moment you grab it. Little or no shifting is necessary to open the blade.

Tip-down, thumb open: knife rotates in your hand, some shifting necessary to position the knife to open.

So, going strictly by security of your grip on the knife, tip-up is best for thumbing open, tip down works better for wrist-flick opening, because in both of these, the knife moves and rotates with your hand. However, with practice, any of these can be done quickly. Tip-up is best overall because it requires the least shifting for either opening method. What I'd like to see would be a clip system that allows you to position the knife tip up or down. Maybe a combination of the three-screw tip-down carry and the barrel-screw tip-up carry put into one clip. There are a couple Spydies that allow both tip-up and tip-down carry, but it would be great to have more, especially on some of the larger models.
Blades

Post by Blades »

I started with a tip-up Endura years ago, so it is what I'm use to. It is what I prefer now.

Blades
minimarc123

Post by minimarc123 »

My first spydie was a calypso jr. FRN, and I would twist my wrist, so that when I took the knife out of my pocket, and held it naturally, it was positioned so that the tip faced up... then I did I quick flick, while holding on to the blade.

But I found the tip down a little fussy when thumb opening, which is what I normally do, so my next desent sized knife will probably be a tip up native, for smooth tip up opening. Plus, if it turns out to be harder, even better! something new to learn

-map