Matriarch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ngohari

Matriarch

Post by ngohari »

Can anyone tell give me an overview of this knife? I haven't been able to find much on it... Is it still in production, if not, why did it stop? Seemed like a great idea...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Basically, it was a slightly shorter version of the Civilian with FRN handle. It was made for those who wanted a Civilian but had to cope with a 4" legal limit on blade length (like me). As far as I know, it shared the thin tip of the Civilian and came with the same "not intended for utility use" tag. I suspect that the market for such a knife was pretty small, so they were discontinued quite a while ago.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If memory serves, the Matriarch was made at the request of Spyderco's South African distributor and was mean as a defensive knife for the ladyfolk, hence the Matriarch name. Used what was, at the time, the Endura handle, that's still found on the Pacific Salt. Had a relatively short run, since Sal, to his credit, did not want them easily available in the USA.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I stand corrected. :o :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

The Deacon wrote:since Sal, to his credit, did not want them easily available in the USA.
Why didn't he want them available in the US?

I would LOVE to get my hands on a Matriarch. I think its a fantastic design. Just as brilliant as the Civy.

I just don't want to have to drop $160+ on one.

I think this is another example of how none of us peons get to have sweet knives because the collectors snatch them up, and have 4 5 6 of the exact same knife. And because the collectors buy them no matter what, it drives the prices up, and we're paying 160 for a 75 dollar knife.

I would like to see a Sprint Run of the Matriarch. Only so that I can buy the sweet knife without having to sell a kidney.

-Clock
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ClockWork wrote:Why didn't he want them available in the US?

I would LOVE to get my hands on a Matriarch. I think its a fantastic design. Just as brilliant as the Civy.

I think this is another example of how none of us peons get to have sweet knives because the collectors snatch them up, and have 4 5 6 of the exact same knife. And because the collectors buy them no matter what, it drives the prices up, and we're paying 160 for a 75 dollar knife.

I would like to see a Sprint Run of the Matriarch. Only so that I can buy the sweet knife without having to sell a kidney.

-Clock
Simple really, with all the negative publicity knives get as it is, the idea of a realtively inexpensive Spyderco suitable only for slashing human flesh did not appeal to him. The Civilian has always been marketed very quietly, and that, plus the price, tended to keep it out of the hands of the immature. If you want, do a search on Matriarch, you'll find the threads from back when it first came into being.

As for the rest, can't speak for other collectors, I only ever had one and have no desire to own more.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

The Deacon wrote:Simple really, with all the negative publicity knives get as it is, the idea of a realtively inexpensive Spyderco suitable only for slashing human flesh did not appeal to him. The Civilian has always been marketed very quietly, and that, plus the price, tended to keep it out of the hands of the immature.
That makes sense.

I'd just really like to have one.

Maybe a quietly marketed (maybe even only sold via SFO and Select Distributors?) Sprint Run Matriarch might be possible?

And With the introduction of the Embassy/Cit and re-intro of the Bali's... Maybe Spyderco has escaped any bad vibes or Negative publicity or what-not. Or grown past them or whatever ??? :confused:

I love my Civy, and I'd really like to see the return of the Matriarch.
IDK

-ClocK
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

ClockWork wrote:Maybe a quietly marketed (maybe even only sold via SFO and Select Distributors?) Sprint Run Matriarch might be possible?
Clock, I agree, I'd like to see a sprint run...have both Civi and Matriarch, but I wouldn't mind one more!!!...but as The Deacon pointed out, this isn't exactly the kinda knife you'd see a sprint run of, much as we'd like to see that... :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

Sounds like the crap Bill Ruger pulled with the 20 rnd. mags for the mini-14. Playing 'father knows best' cost him alot of customers. I can understand a knife being discontinued for poor sales, but can not believe Sal would stop it from being sold for its intended purpose. John.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

ClockWork wrote:Why didn't he want them available in the US?

-Clock
Well said clock.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

ClockWork wrote:

-Clock
Not really, they were available for years. You could easily aquire them for under $60.
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Caly E wrote:Not really, they were available for years. You could easily aquire them for under $60.
Were can you get one for $60?

MLR

Post by MLR »

now this is not an unreasonable price ... click
amen74

Post by amen74 »

I would also be interested in a Matriarch if it weren't for the high price tag. There was a seller on BF a while back that had a case of these for sale at $175 each. Pretty steep. I don't blame this on Collectors' though. We have the same opportunity to buy just like everyone else. You have to be in the right place at the right time. :)
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

I would love to see a Matriarch with endura IV handle.
Sal, it can be possible?

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

El Tigre wrote:I would love to see a Matriarch with endura IV handle.
Sal, it can be possible?

"El Tigre"
Yes Please!!!

I'd love to take one in with any handle too....

:cool:
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. You're cryin' now, but fact of the matter is, that when they were available, sales weren't enough to keep them in the lineup. Got nothing to do with "collectors snatching them up". Matriarch is one of my favorite carry pieces.
whitefeather

The Family

Post by whitefeather »

Can't blame you for wanting one. I'm not parting with mine :p

Daddy Civillian, Cousin CF Harpy, Big brother Meerkat and Baby Cricket would all miss Momma Matriarch.

**** I'm missing the Dodo :eek:
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

*Cough* forum knife *Cough* :D
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Piercieve wrote:*Cough* forum knife *Cough* :D
Matriarch Forum Knife!!! Brilliant!!!

Brilliant! Guniuess in a bottle Brilliant!

:cool: