Yellow or Black? I can't decide...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jugg2

UPDATE! Yellow or Black? I can't decide...

Post by jugg2 »

Hey guys, tonight I'm gonna put in an order for a Pacific Salt, but I can't decide which color. I always like black, but that yellow is pretty sweet. What do you think?

Also, if I sand down the Ti clip, what is the natural color of Ti without a heat treat? Is it silver tinted/colored like steel, or is it brown/bronze tinted/colored?

TIA!
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

Go for the yellow, it's a great color, it does show dirt a little easier, but it's easy to clean, plus, it flouresces under ultraviolet light

the Ti clip is sort of a grayish color in it's natural state
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
jugg2

Post by jugg2 »

Thanks MacTech.

I was just looking at the pharmacy's site and they list the clip as SS not Ti, is that just from not being updated?
Tank

Post by Tank »

I would go for yellow for sure. As far as the clip goes. You could call them and ask,, they are very helpful on the phone.
-John
jugg2

Post by jugg2 »

Thanks Tank.

I just gave them a call, and the girl said she couldn't really tell. She said the best she could do was give me one in the newer box vs. an older style box. It's not really that big a deal, but I was hoping for Ti so I could heat treat it.

EDIT: to anyone out there that knows they have the SS clip version, does it attract a magnet? I know some types of SS don't attract magnets. If it does then I can test it easily myself without taking the black off.
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

Titanium is non-magnetic, if a magnet won't stick to the clip, it's probably Titanium
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

i had a similar problem picking out a tasman salt. yellow or black. i took black but plan on getting a yellow one soon.
to_the_edge

Post by to_the_edge »

+1 for yellow, If for no reason other than it's different and it looks cool.
"... Regrets are better left unspoken, for all we know this void will grow and everything's in vain..."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wanted: Paramilitary PE, Kris, Lava, Streetbeat, Mini-Persian
McBain

Post by McBain »

Go for the yellow!!!! Unless it is an older Pacific Salt, the clip is Titanium. I have removed the black paint from mine, I think it looks a whole lot better. The color of the Ti is like a grayish steel color, but it goes very nicely with the blade.
-The children are right to laugh at you Ralph, these things couldn't cut butter-
Hookpunch

Post by Hookpunch »

Go for yellow, you will appreciate it if you ever drop the knife. Plus if you are stopped by law enforcement they tend to view yellow handled knives as tools and black handled knives as belonging to ninja wannabees.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I sometimes think black would have made my knife attract less attention but I do really like the yellow handle on my Salt I.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Capt. Carl

They call me mello yellow...

Post by Capt. Carl »

Fan of the yellow here too!
Ben4735

Post by Ben4735 »

Yellow if you feel like being different. However if you dont have any black handled knives, go with black.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Yellow.

Too much black in this world.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

I went with yellow when I got my Pac Salt. But over time, I had wished I went with black. The next salt I'm going to get (Tasman, SE) will be in black.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

yellow vote from me
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

YELLOW! That's my most carried large knife. NKP friendly color - I accually WANT people to see it because it's so nice. It's the only knife I ever sanded a clip on - it looks great with a shiny and/or metal-colored clip. Don't be scared of colors. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
jugg2

Post by jugg2 »

Well, I just got back from church, and it looks like the overall opinion is yellow. That answers my question! Thanks guys, I will be odering it momentarily.

I have to go out of town for the weekend, so maybe it will come Monday after I get back. I already can't wait! :p
jugg2

Post by jugg2 »

It's here! I really like the yellow, and I have already put the heat to the Ti! It looks awesome IMHO. I will try to get a few pics up tonight.
jugg2

Post by jugg2 »