H1 Mariner Handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
McBain

H1 Mariner Handles

Post by McBain »

I have one of these beauties on the way to me, but I was wondering about the handle scales: some websites say they are H1 steel like the blade, others (including the prduct description at spyderco.com) say only that it is 100% rust free SS. I wonder which one it is?? If it is H1, why wouldn't it say that in the product description here??
Other knives with SS handles just say that, no mention of 100% rust free.
If it is H1 I might just have to run some sandpaper over it to "pre-scratch" it as my other H1 blades scratch easy.
Thanx!!
-The children are right to laugh at you Ralph, these things couldn't cut butter-
Ian UK

Post by Ian UK »

Hi McBain

I have just took mine out of the box and I think (can't be certain) the handle is Stainless Steel not H1. :spyder:
:spyder: IAN UK Collector #116.
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Ian UK wrote:Hi McBain

I have just took mine out of the box and I think (can't be certain) the handle is Stainless Steel not H1. :spyder:
it has to be very corrosion resistant steel,its probably standard on all H1 knives that they are completely corrosion resistant :cool: :spyder: so that handle should show no blemishes ;)
JBE

Post by JBE »

I was under the impression that both the handle and blade were both made from H1 :confused:
Jason
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JBE wrote:I was under the impression that both the handle and blade were both made from H1 :confused:
So was I, and, AFAIK, H-1 is the only 100% rust free SS, so I think the catalog is confirming that, albeit obliquely.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
saltydog

I haven't bought one yet

Post by saltydog »

because the composition of the steel of the scales was so unclear...and I didn't want it if it was regular SS.
><((('< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My dream Spyderco: H1 folder with G-10, H1 or MICARTA scale. Time to lose the FRN only attitude with regard to H1
Vicarious Reality

Well?

Post by Vicarious Reality »

Is it H1 or not?
Dem tings be mine:
PE blue Yojimbo ~ PE blue Dodo ~ ZDP PE Delica ~ s30v Native ~ Military ~ Aus Dragonfly ~ Endura4 ~ Yellow Salt 1 ~ Yellow Pacific Salt ~ 3 byrds and a lot of Cold Steel, Benchmade, Glock, Mora, KA-BAR, Kanetsune, SOG, CRKT, Schrade and misc. crap.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:I'm also quite sure it is all H1, with a titanium clip.....My catologe says the same :)
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

It *could* also be 420J2, J2 *SUCKS* as a bladesteel, but it has exceptionally good corrosion resistance, right up there with H1

when I performed my first corrosion test a couple years ago, the *only* knives that survived were the Pacific Salt, and the Buck Metro keyring knife which had a 420J2 blade, it couldn't hold an edge worth crap, but it also was unaffected by salt water
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

The Spyderco 2008 Retail Price Guide shows the handle material as H1.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
McBain

Post by McBain »

Thanx Jim!!!! you are absolutely right, it does!!! this is the only place wher I have seen it confirmed by Spyderco. That would also explain why the knife is a bit more expensive than other SS handled knives.
I have been EDC'ing it all week long, and found it is more useful than I thought. I need to find a shackle somewhere so I can open it!!! :p
I also like that the clip can be changed to tip-up carry (my favorite), but RH only (which is fine fer me). My only wish is that the Spyder hole was a bigger diameter like the rest of the Salt folders. It is also my second sharpest Spyder outta the box!!!
YAAAARRRRRGGHHH!!!! (thats Mariner speak....)
-The children are right to laugh at you Ralph, these things couldn't cut butter-
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

H1 handles!! That's cool. I actually have one on the way to compliment my Rescue that I just bought. I can't wait to get it.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.