Users or just Collectors?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tomahawk23

Users or just Collectors?

Post by tomahawk23 »

Who among you has only one Spyderco knife and Carries and uses that one knife every day?

It seems to me that most of you guys have a whole bunch of these knives.
Are you just collecting to collect?
Is it a matter of Quality or Quantity?
I mean, measuring your knife collection by the foot? Thats kind of obsessive isn't it?

If a Spyderco knife is Such High Quality, wouldn't you only need ONE of them?
A Man Without his Knife is like a Bear Without its Claws.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Only one knife is a failed approach when one realizes that Spyderco offers many designs that are more task specific.

You can EDC an Endura for a year and do all your cutting, but a Manix will chop better, a Cricket would open packages and boxes better, a SE Harpy would work better for cutting rope etc.

One can also spend time purchasing different models to try out different blade steels, or to see if a certain designs works well for the things they use a knife for.

I own about 10 Spydercos / Byrds and they're all users.
:unicorn
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Realy... Do you use them all at once.
I have not needed any "Task Specific" knife, I use one knife for all tasks. And it works just fine... Chopping, Cutting, Prying, Opening Boxes, Cutting Wire, Chopping Wood, Everything...
ONE KNIFE does it ALL.
Of coarse, I'm not using a Spyderco.

Are you saying that you need many different knives to accomplish many different menial tasks. Or is that just the way you like to do it because you like collecting knives?
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

don't you already have 2 of them? why did you need more than the one? i carried my first spyderco, an endura for 5 years before i bought my second one, after that i just kept buying them. there are strictly users, collectors or a combination of those two on here, we have been down this road before in one of your locked up threads. do you really want a honest answer? i think the way you are writing the threads comes off as harsh, it could just be me though. don't you collect anything?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

I Do own two Spyderco's... a Tenacious and a Police.
I bought them looking for a Slightly Smaller knife, but I havent been all that impressed with them, So I started carrying my Voyager again.
I'm not trying to stir up Anything, Just looking For Honest answers.

I don't believe in the whole Rotating EDC thing.
If you have one good knife that you know and can trust, then there isnt any reason to carry a bunch of other knives.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

in just the past 5 minutes these are some of the things you have posted

question of endura or police, which one to choose
tomahawk23 wrote:Neither one, they both suck.
where to find a spyderfly
tomahawk23 wrote:Try E-bay or maybe a dumpster.
new forum knife
tomahawk23 wrote:No new knife forums, including this one.
i think you should change your screen name to SPOON because all you are doing is trying to stir &#@( up.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Just giving my Honest Opinion. Had some free time, thought I would get caught up on the ol' forum.
I didn't realize you were the forum police.
If you don't have an answer to the Question... Then Don't bother replying.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Like any type of enthusiast, we like to have variety and enjoy having a collection.

This is like saying why have a collection of hot rods and sports cars when you only need one car to drive back and forth to work.

If you are just looking for a tool, then you are correct you probably only need one knife.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

So... at the risk of sounding thick, you come to the Spyderco forums primarily to contend that Spyderco knives are not worth purchasing AND that Cold Steel's are?

I doubt you will find many people here who only own one knife by any brand... particularly Spyderco. This forum serves as a place for collectors and enthusiasts to converse about our hobby. People who only own one knife (and I assure you, there are many of those), would be unlikely to seek out such a place.

I am certainly one of those people who has a number of knives. I purchase new ones on a fairly regular basis (two to five a year, I'd say). I buy them for a variety of reasons. Some because I have a specific task in mind. For instance, I have a knife that I own specifically to take on backpacking trips. You will be happy to know that it is even a cold steel. I also own several that serve as EDC knives. Several because my job sometimes takes me into the field, and sometimes I never have to cut anything more frightening than an envelope. All of those are Spyderco. Of course, some I buy just because I think they are pretty.

I would say that the quantity over quality argument holds little weight, as I prefer a quantity of quality.

I never thought of measuring my collection by foot... as soon as I find my measuring tape I will get back to you though. :-P

Speaking in terms of want and need, I only NEED any one of my knives to cut something. I have never had a spyderco knife fail on me, so I only NEEDED the first one I purchased. I just WANT more of them.

I realize that this seems a strange hobby, but you have to realize that most of us here share this odd obsession. If you do not, why not venture out into the endless internet to find a conglomerate of individuals that you enjoy commiserating with? The people here are all very nice, very knowledgeable individuals who would be glad to have you for spirited discussion... why try to ruin that by antagonizing them?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

tomahawk23 wrote: If you don't have an answer to the Question... Then Don't bother replying.
That's easy, the "Answer" is 42, problem is, we don't know what the *question* is... ;)
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

You see... Here is the real Problem. Whenever I ask a Question, I get jumped on by everyone who thinks I am threatening their way of life. I'm not threatening anything.
I just asked User or Collector.
Quality OR Quantity?
There is such a thing as Both.
Don't get all ruffled up.
Spydiman

Post by Spydiman »

tomahawk23 wrote:You see... Here is the real Problem. Whenever I ask a Question, I get jumped on by everyone who thinks I am threatening their way of life. I'm not threatening anything.
I just asked User or Collector.
Quality OR Quantity?
There is such a thing as Both.
Don't get all ruffled up.
I am a user and collector, of a large quantity of high quality knives.

Why don't you answers other peopls questions?
".........I've been called an "enemy of the planet" for not living within walking distance of where I work and shop - by a guy with six kids! Needless to say he was a bit upset when I suggested he walk home and drown four or five of them."

-The Deacon
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Spydiman wrote:I am a user and collector, of a large quantity of high quality knives.

Why don't you answers other peopls questions?
What Questions?
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Jordan wrote:So... at the risk of sounding thick, you come to the Spyderco forums primarily to contend that Spyderco knives are not worth purchasing AND that Cold Steel's are?
I never said that "Spyderco knives are not worth purchasing AND that Cold Steel's are"
Where do you get this from?
I said if A Spyderco knife is so good, you should only need one.
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

OK, I guess we can see where this post is going. Time to look at other more interesting posts. :cool:
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

tomahawk23 wrote:You see... Here is the real Problem. Whenever I ask a Question, I get jumped on by everyone who thinks I am threatening their way of life.
May be it is because how you ask? Did you think about it?
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Riots story:

I am 30 years old and at the age of 15 i got my first delica SE and ever since that day i have had a spyderco on my pocket everyday, many have been lost, many have been traded, many i cant remember what happened to. alot of things you go through growing up but through it all a spyderco has been with me half my life!!!!!

Recently 4-5 months ago at the gun show i found a Salt 1 yellow SE, i liked the knife so much i almost didnt want to use it, at this point i had no clue of the spyderco forums or never even thought there could be a small dedicated comunity of spyderco lovers. i ended up going on ebay and i found the spyderco R SE with the blade that was cut out as well, i actually paid 275.00 for it but its worth it, i ended up finding out that ALL the old knives i once had that i daily carried, beat to ****, lost, traded whatever i dont have them anymore are worth good money. So currently i daily carry the most common Delica 4 black Combo edge and i am buying up as many spydercos as i can that i think will be worth good money in say 10 years +, the more i collect the more i want, i just wish i could have started years ago!!! the plan is one day have a huge collection to possibly part with for a profit, but i honestly couldnt see myself parting with them so easily, we will see.....

:spyder:

Riot
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

tomahawk23 wrote:If a Spyderco knife is Such High Quality, wouldn't you only need ONE of them?
I suspect if you substituted any brand of purse for "Spyderco" in that statement, many of the married men on this forum have asked their wives that question. ;)

I look at this this way: I own multiple pairs of shoes, all of which are "high quality." However, not one is right for everything I do. For example, I wouldn't want to play basketball in wingtips. I also own a nice multitool that will, in a pinch, do several things. However, if I were framing a house or pulling an engine, it would not be my first choice of tools.

I don't think there's any one knife out there, whether it's made by Spyderco, another manufacturer, or a custom maker, that will do everything I want.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Good question,

I have what some might say is a largish collection of Spydercos, and yet some others here might think it as only being fairly small :p ;)

Out of my collection I do have a heap of users which I do rotate depending on my mood, or my dress, or my purpose of waking up on that day... ie: if going to the office I have a couple that I will definitely take with me, and conversely if I were to go to a sporting fixture I would take a different one, or if I were to go shooting etc... etc...

In terms of just taking the one blade, the thing that best fits that description ATM is my Salt I abuser :D It can do a lot of things I would not subject my other blades to, but then again it doesn't do EVERYTHING :( but I wish it could.

I draw a similar conclusion to others here with certain women folk and their handbags, some men with shoes or ties, etc....

Like just about everyone here, we have many more Spydercos than we NEED, but definitely not any more than we WANT. I have started to go down the line of collecting more quality (relatively more expensive) blades. Though I do EDC the 'cheapies' as much as I do the more expensive ones.

PS: Guys, lets not allow this thread to deteriorate....please. The OP asks some valid question which may or may not have been asked before. But like any other poster we should give it the time of day and give the benefit of the doubt that inflections are difficult to read when written.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Cannon916

Post by Cannon916 »

datan wrote: PS: Guys, lets not allow this thread to deteriorate....please. The OP asks some valid question which may or may not have been asked before. But like any other poster we should give it the time of day and give the benefit of the doubt that inflections are difficult to read when written.
I feel this was a very good question. The op was right, I have drawn the same conclusion about collectors versus users from what I read on this forum. Seems there are some bullies and keyboard commandos here who jump all over someone if they post anything other than "I just bought my 99th Spydie" or "all other knife companies are crap". Remember, reading typed words can give YOU a different mental impression of the attitude the poster was trying to convey.

I too use only one knife for EDC. My previous was a Benchmade Stryker, had it for at least 10 years, thought I lost it and tried to replace it. Unfortunately for me, BM only makes assisted opening/auto Strykers now (I dont like assisted or auto knives). So I began to look at other companies, and decided on the Police model. It was a tad too big for my tastes so I bought a Delica. Now my EDC is a SS Delica plain edge. Yes, I did eventually find my Stryker, but am carrying the Delica now.

I can see the obsession of collecting, I have done this with other items in the past. But I never looked down on anyone who didn't match my level of enthusiasm (or mental illness, haha). I never thought anyone was "wrong" or stirring stuff up just because he asked a question. I can understand people getting defensive when asked a question, but not offensive.