SS Spydie: Police or Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TK

SS Spydie: Police or Endura

Post by TK »

Hello,

I'm looking for a new Spyderco. It's going to be a SS model, so the Police and the Endura come to my mind. Sould I get the Police before it's replaced by the new one, or should I get the Endura? Clip positions and prize are rather unimportant.

Your input, please.

Thanks,
Thomas
"I always thought it would be great to have two wives."
"No! You're thinking of a man with two knives."
JBE

Post by JBE »

From what I understand, the new G-10 police will be marketed alongside the SS one so it should remain readily available for some time.

I personally don't carry SS knives, but if it was my choice I'd select the Endura.
Jason
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

The SS Police won't be discontunied in the near future, so no problem there.

Because of the higher price, some people think of the Police as the higher quality model, but owning both of them, I would'nt see the Endura inferior, quality-wise.

So it boils down to that you prefer; you may want to handle both and buy the one which feels better in the hand for you.

The Endura 4 is the newer and more sophisticated knife when it comes to design; but the Police is just a class of its own, a real "classic".

Besides, I think that the Police just begs for a serrated edge :) (I have PE and SE)
although I prefer PE for most of my knives.

Finally, the Endura is much more sheeple-friendly, IMHO.

Dennis

..............get both :D
huugh

Post by huugh »

Also SS Police ($97) is quite a bit more expensive (~47% more) than SS Endura ($66).
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Neither one, they both suck.
A Man Without his Knife is like a Bear Without its Claws.
tap

Post by tap »

tomahawk23 wrote:Neither one, they both suck.
Good bye tom.
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.
catamount

Post by catamount »

What's with you today? Are you ticked off about something? You're not making any friends.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

There has been much ado about whether the slightly different ergos on the Police and the extra quarter inch of length in the blade make it worth the extra cash... comes down to user preference every time. My preference lies with the Police. It was the first spydie I lusted after, to be fair. Plus, I think that the slight extension in the handle makes it LOOK sleeker. Not to mention, as little difference as it does make, the finer tip and slightly longer blade has come in handy on occasions that demand a needle sharp tip and just that little bit of extra cutting power.

Both are excellent, I should know... I've carried both for extended periods of time. You can't go wrong with SS handles. Whatever problems they may have performancewise (they get slippery when wet and absorb heat quite well... in acclimate weather the handles can get uncomfortably hot or cold), you will never find a finer aesthetic (particularly if you go for a nice inscription for that personal touch). They are also very durable. So is G-10 and carbon fiber of course, but having that nice heavy SUBSTANTIAL steel in your hand inspires far more confidence.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Just giving my opinion... I have had nothing but issues with my SS Police.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Design issues? Quality control issues? I only ask because I have had precisely the opposite experience.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Design and Quality. It gets loose after using it just a little bit. I chipped the blade cutting a Wire. And when I use the hole to open it it ends up facing the wrong way in my hand. I had to Engrave the sides just so it had Some Sort of Grip... Otherwise it would slip right out of my hand.
Its Twice as heavy as my Voyager, which is an inch longer and twice as thick.
Spydiman

Post by Spydiman »

WARNING: Tomahawk has been really pissy over at Bladeforums, so tread carefully.
".........I've been called an "enemy of the planet" for not living within walking distance of where I work and shop - by a guy with six kids! Needless to say he was a bit upset when I suggested he walk home and drown four or five of them."

-The Deacon
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

That's most unfortunate Tom, have you considered addressing the quality issues with Spyderco? It's possible that yours loosens to quickly due to defect. Definitely a shame that you have had such an unpleasant experience. What kind of wire were you cutting that chipped the blade? I have done a substantial amount of electrical work with my Endura (with the G-10 handle... electrical current+stainless steel handle= a shocking experience), and the blade has performed more than adequately. As it is the same steel... I am surprised that yours failed to hold up.

The grip issue is a part of owning an SS handled blade, I'm afraid. What did you get engraved on it? The possibility to engrave was one of the things I bought the police for.

Sounds like the Police just isn't the knife for you. At the risk of recommending that you buy a third spyderco... maybe you should see if the company doesn't offer something that is designed more towards your needs?
- Theodore Roosevelt

tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

Spydiman wrote:WARNING: Tomahawk has been really pissy over at Bladeforums, so tread carefully.
I'm not pissy. I just have been giving my opinion, seems to me that everyone is against that here.
TR Graham

Post by TR Graham »

Nothing like a pithy, troll-like comment. Have you ever thought that maybe friend, they just "suck" for YOU.....?

Many of us, myself included, have gotten good service out of these knives.

I toted a Police for years without any issues and have a SS Endura as well. Both are in my EDC rotation.

I read that you are happy with your CS Voyager. If it works for you, that's nice.

I had one for a very short time. I managed to both break the tip and loosen the blade - doing tasks that never damaged my Police model.....

Does the CS Voyager "suck"? Lets take it off the 3th grade level and just say it didn't work for me.

Fords and Chevys, Glocks and Sigs, Blondes and Brunettes, everyone has their own preferences, eh?

TR Graham
The Glocksmith
Manix Guy 2

Hey TK !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Are you just wanting a SS model ? If not the G10 may be worth the wait . I like both models but the Endura as a lefty works better for me . Take care good to hear from you ! MG2
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Good point Manix... the Endura is more "modable". I had to learn how to twist my wrist around to get the police out of the pocket ready to deploy. Not an issue if you aren't a southpaw, of course.
- Theodore Roosevelt

TR Graham

Post by TR Graham »

Jordan wrote:Good point Manix... the Endura is more "modable". I had to learn how to twist my wrist around to get the police out of the pocket ready to deploy. Not an issue if you aren't a southpaw, of course.

Or were lucky enough to get a left hand Police. :D

TR Graham
The Glocksmith
Tank

Post by Tank »

tomahawk23 wrote:I'm not pissy. I just have been giving my opinion, seems to me that everyone is against that here.
Were not against opinions. For most of us we have favorable opinions and when we don't we express them in a more friendly manner. You are setting your self up for negative feedback when you give harsh negative criticism about a Spyderco knives in a Spyderco forum.
-John
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

TR Graham wrote:Or were lucky enough to get a left hand Police. :D

TR Graham
The Glocksmith
right right... I should have included that. If you have sold your soul to Moloch in return for one of the ever so rare lefty police models, you don't have to worry about it.

Jerk. :p :p :p

Didn't somebody here have a Police that they drilled for lefty tip up carry and waved? Or was that just a fevered dream I had one night?
- Theodore Roosevelt