Opinion Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should I create a new section (as described) for the forums?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 98

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Kristi,

I think that's a great idea actually. I think it would be a great place to have a lot of stickies to common questions etc.

I think it would still keep this wonderful small community small and nice.

I vote yes. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Right good idea, Kristi. I ( probably haven't tried too hard ) still don't know how to post a picture :o .

- best wishes, Jazz.
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

I don't think it's really necessary.

I joined fairly recently (less than a year ago) and I never felt anything but welcomed on this forum. The members here are more friendly and patient than on most forums, and it didn't take long to get up to speed. People were willing to answer my naive questions, and I was able to search the forums for my not-so-naive questions.

As the number of sub-forums grows, navigation and administration get harder; when taken to an extreme, anarchy really takes over (as on some of the large stand-alone forums I frequent on the internet). Just one more subforum is probably a small price to pay, but I'm not sure if that price is worthwhile given how well the Spyderco forums take care of newbies right now.

Kristi, you're doing a great job. I see no reason to make your job harder.
scout

Post by scout »

good idea!
pedro navaja

Post by pedro navaja »

TazKristi wrote:I'm considering creating one more section to our forums and I'd like your feedback on the idea. This new section would be for more in depth FAQs (e.g. What do all the acronyms mean? How do I post a picture? Common new member questions? Perhaps include new member introductions, a general introduction to our forums and perhaps an explanation of the community here, etc.).

I like our "small" forums, but I believe that an area like this might be useful, particularly for newer members.

So, what's your opinion? Useful or not so much?

Kristi
I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a few subsections, like sharpening; tinkering;design ideas etc. if you get my drift; but absolutely not if it means a burden for anyone as far as extra work or stress. there are many forumites that can offer sugestions and dvice in these sections...

Pedro

The world is full of apathy, but I don't care

Arriel
JT

Post by JT »

FAQ section is allways a good idea :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Ian UK

Post by Ian UK »

I think this would be a good thing I have been here a while now and still struggle with some abbreviations for example. :)
:spyder: IAN UK Collector #116.
AUXCOM

Post by AUXCOM »

Taz,

Firstly I think it says a great deal about the character of the people here that there have been so many responses to start out with concern for your workload.
I share their concern, but also put my vote in as a yes. And even though I've been around here for a couple of years now, I still have newbie-like questions.

Perhaps, as you've indicated, it may be good to have an area that simply lists a number of FAQ's where newbie can come and cruise for basic info about the forums and :spyder:

my 2 cents
" As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

I think a sticky at the top of each sub-forum would suffice, but maybe a whole sub-forum would be easier to find.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Kristi,

I am perfectly satisfied with our Forum the way it is, but I guess there is always room for improvement, even if I don't see it (like it happened with the Delica ;) )
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

It sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks for your hard work on this forum :)
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Elsilrac1

Post by Elsilrac1 »

Sounds good to me.