2 quick questions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bigbre04

2 quick questions.

Post by bigbre04 »

The first question:
I have a Caly 3 and a D4 and both have been my EDCs. The D4 for years and the Caly 3 for about 6 months. Both of the clips on these knives have stretched and lost alot of their tension. I just worry that they will fall out of my pocket, especially due to some close calls with the D4. Is there a recommended way to tighten up the clips, other then the obvious brute force rebending?

The second question is:
My Birthday is quickly approaching, I have been looking to add another knife to my collection, either a Persian, Sage, or a G10 Leek. I really like the looks of the Persian, but how difficult is it to sharpen? What are the advantages, other then weight, to having CF handle in the sage when I have a Caly 3? G-10 Leek???

Well that was really more then 2 questions, but they were quick... :)

-Alex
:spyder:Ladybug:spyder:Delica 4 PE:spyder:Dragonfly PE:spyder:Caly 3 PE:spyder:Tenacious PE:spyder:Pacific Salt PE...Love:rolleyes:

Wish List:Calypso Jr. ATR D4 ZDP ParaMili Delica ZDP, Sage
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

I personally have tried the leek, and I absolutely not satisfied with the AO at all, it's not any faster to deploy than any other opener with a thumb kick (Axis, Spyderhole, or even plain old stud), but it takes me forever to unlock the safety before using the AO

For Sage vs Caly3, they are not much of a difference shape wise, they both got perfect ergo. Sage has the advantage on lighter weight but not by much. I like the open back design though and the beautiful 3D texture of CF is simply amazing. Caly 3 seems to give me a more precise control due to narrower choil to thumb distance, but you can't lose with either one.

Persian does take more skill to sharpen perfectly but that alone wouldn't stop me from purchasing if I like the design of the knife, fact is, sharpening is part of the fun for knife collecting :p
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

bigbre04 wrote:The first question:
I have a Caly 3 and a D4 and both have been my EDCs. The D4 for years and the Caly 3 for about 6 months. Both of the clips on these knives have stretched and lost alot of their tension. I just worry that they will fall out of my pocket, especially due to some close calls with the D4. Is there a recommended way to tighten up the clips, other then the obvious brute force rebending?

The second question is:
My Birthday is quickly approaching, I have been looking to add another knife to my collection, either a Persian, Sage, or a G10 Leek. I really like the looks of the Persian, but how difficult is it to sharpen? What are the advantages, other then weight, to having CF handle in the sage when I have a Caly 3? G-10 Leek???

Well that was really more then 2 questions, but they were quick... :)

-Alex
Remove the clips and bend them slightly. This doesn't have to be brutal, just put the clip in a vise or between 2 drawers and give it a slight bend.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I agree with removing clip and bending it. I did the same with my Native and it works well for me.
Regarding Persian, I carry C83 for more than a year and sharpening it on Sharpmaker and I never had difficulties, do it slow and little rotate your arm when you sharpening the curve so rod pointed to the center of the radius, it is no big deal.(If it is not clear what I ment, pm me and I will take some pictures). Persians are the great knives. C105 disappeared for a while, but recently I saw few of them with new boxes.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Caly 3 and Persians are 2 of my favourite knifes. Like Roman I carry the Persians and love them to bits. Sharpening them has not been an issue for me. Like Roman says do a small rotation of your wrist/ arm so that the blade is being sharpened at right angles to the stone/ rod. Sage is also a great looking knife though I do not have one (yet :p ). You cannot go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned.

Regarding bending of clips. I just unclip them, and slowly and gently re-bend them, taking care not to bend too much on any one point. Just a slight re-bend to get the clip tension back, then screw'em back in.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Well; I see you've gotten all the help you need regarding your clip issues, so on to choice of Spyder; I have a Persian, but no Sage, and they all look Awesome :eek: If I were to get one, even if I didn't have a Persian, I would go with the Sage, simpley due to price, and materials :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!