C14 "Ground Zero" Rescue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
recoil

C14 "Ground Zero" Rescue

Post by recoil »

A few forumites asked me for a pic of the engraved C14 rescues that were made after 9/11/01.

I thought posting them would be easier than sending them out individually.

Pic 1 is of both the black and orange handle models.

Pic 2 better shows the blade inscription.

recoil
<a href="/forums/attachmentarchive/3339-7-29-11C14s.JPG" target="_new">View Attachment...</a>

<a href="/forums/attachmentarchive/3339-7-c14x400.JPG" target="_new">View Attachment...</a>

Post by 32055 »

Recoil, thanks for the picture. I still hope they put out a run of these . I know I'd like to have one.
yog

Post by yog »

Thanks for posting Recoil.

I have mixed fealings about doing a run of these for public sale. A lot of people would buy them, but a part of me thinks that the limited number that are out there mean more because they went to the people who earnt them.

"Walk softly, but carry a big stick."
chinook

Post by chinook »

I agree yog...
Much as I would like to have one. I would not want to dilute the honor or exclusiveness of the pieces.

Post by 32055 »

Hi Yog, while I certainly see your point, I too realize that it is the very reason there probably will be no run for the general public. However, I will be fifty in a little over a month and nothing has ever affected me the way 9/11 did. I live in Oklahoma City, and we had a taste of this type of thing a few years back. I just think it would be a great commemorative for every person that wanted one. Jeff
lotsablades

Post by lotsablades »

Thanks so much for sharing these pix with us, Recoil. I would really love to have one of these special knives, but also wouldn't want to cheapen the sentiment behind them. I have been considering inscribing "9-11-01" on one of my favorite EDC's just as a reminder of how I felt that day. A little memorial to the fallen, if you will. You see, I was working in downtown D.C. that day, and was close enough to the Pentagon to see the smoke from the fire. I don't ever want to forget how angry I was that day, or how terrified. They say that "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it." Well, I'm here to tell you, No. Never again. This can never ever happen again, not in our house. We need to remember what happened that day, and how it shook the very foundations of our world, and how it made us feel. I will never, ever forget.

Sorry about the long post, gang. I just needed to get that off my cgest.

Any thoughts? Should I have an EDC inscribed with the date, and carry it to remember the fallen in my own way?

Be honest.

Thanx,
Tom

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man..." -ancient Nordic proverb
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

I think that the rescue version that was given out should stay "sacred". It would however be nice to have a spydie that kept it more forward in my mind. I pray that I never forget that day and the brave and innocent people who gave their lives, especially the fire/police and those who tried to retake their aircraft. I would like maybe a red white and blue endura. I think a grey one may also be very appropriate. It being such a grey and sad day.
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

hmmm i (as usual) agree with yog, would love to have one even if i am british but wouldn't want to dilute the exclusiveness, prehaps a highly limited run of say 250 would be more appropriate.
MAT
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Greetings.

Spyderco will not make a production run of these models. Sal, his wife Gail and Spyderco employees wanted to help the recovery and rescue workers any way we could.
The donated knives were distributed to rescue workers, police and firemen, some working at ground zero, others working in other ways to help and aid NY.

My hat is off and a large thank you to recoil who happens to be one of those honorable people who was there to help and is still helping.

Joyce
jaxon

Post by jaxon »

Here, Here, Joyce. Good Call Spyderco.

Jaxon