Understanding the Rock Lobster

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bluemist

Understanding the Rock Lobster

Post by bluemist »

I'm not getting it. Who is the designer? What is the intent? All thoughts appreciated.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Maybe its blaspheme....

BUT,
I think it is incredibly ugly :eek: .

IMHO

_clock
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

ClockWork wrote:Maybe its blaspheme....

BUT,
I think it is incredibly ugly :eek: .

IMHO

_clock
I'll buy one, absolutely no doubt about that. To me it spells "I work, and I work HARD!"

I'd say it's going to be in the in the top drawer of workers, big plain blade, no frills just pure knife.

All in my opinion of of course, but I can't wait to get one.......due mid/late September 2008 according to one dealer I know.

Regards,

BUG
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bluemist,

Jens Anso is a Danish custom knifemaker of great skill, a very good eye, and an innovative designer.

He licensed our "round hole" trademark many years ago and has been making round hole custom folders for many years.

The Rocklobster is one of his beautiful designs.

He wanted the knife to be a worker, as Billy mentioned. Made like the Military.

That's how we did it.

sal
Yuri Orlov

Post by Yuri Orlov »

Jens Anso is the designer.

There you go...Sal beat me to it while I was looking for a link!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

ClockWork wrote:I think it is incredibly ugly :eek:
Maybe it's one of those knives that has to "grow on you" before you begin to like it and truly appreciate it. I have to admit, I have felt the same way you do about several Spydies in the past (the Dodo immediately comes to mind). I thought to myself "that Dodo is ugly, why would anybody want that?" After reading post after post here of people praising this knife, I finally broke down and bought one for myself. Now I know what all the ranting and raving was about. It is one of my favorite Spyderco designs ever (thank you, Eric!) and I want three more. Maybe, given time, you will feel the same way :cool: .

Jay
amen74

Post by amen74 »

The Rocklobster is one of the most anticipated knives to be coming out this year for us Spydernuts. I love the design. Jens Anso is one of my favorite custom knifemakers. Hope I can someday own one of his customs. His work is some of the best in custom knife making IMHO.

Spyderco and Anso have collaborated to make a great looking knife that I'm very eager to own. An affordable Anso for us that cannot afford his customs.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i feel the same way about it...guess i will need to handle it a bit first before i pass judgement.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

I have 2 custom ANSO folders and one custom fixed blade and a small ANSO "nekker" as he calls them... Very intelligent guy, extremely talented and real, real busy. The collaboration I agree is great, and will put many many ANSO's in people's hands that might not ever have the money or time to wait for one of Jens' customs.

The Lobster is different to look at when the blade is open. I think when you look at closed, it is a thing of beauty. I was thrilled it has the holes for tip-up or down carry. That right there guarantees it will get pocket time with me.

I have a feeling the Lobster is gonna do real well in Spydie-World.
Spyderco Collector #162
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I have a custom Anso Lobster and it is indeed a great knife. It fits the hand very well and the blade is a very functional cutter.

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Yeah.......it's a beautiful design to me. I love the Rock Lobster and would love to own one. Great looking knife (both his customs and the Spyderco model).

If I had unlimited funds I would really like to own something from JENS ANSØ and also from KEVIN WILKINS. I just love their designs.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
carrot

Post by carrot »

Honestly the minute I saw the prototype pictures I fell in love with the design. It is a little bit unconventional and the shape of the blade is very unintimidating. I would love to see a smaller version of this one with a 3" blade but the Rock Lobster is on my short list of must-haves for 2008.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
cdf

Post by cdf »

While I could probably not afford a custom rendition , I'll be all over the prodo version . Looks like a world class user .
Uber cool !

Chris
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Man, those custom Anso's are so sweet!
Aaron

buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

Stunning Anso customs.........all the more reason to get the Rock Lobster! ;)

Regards,

BUG
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

I love Jens Anso work. His designs are top notch. He for sure has his own style and it is influenced quite a bit by Scandinivan Design, which is somewhat unusual by most people standards. But I think the Rock Lobster is one of my favorite knife designs ever. Jens did a great job on it. And its top on my list for must have Spydercos this year. But I'll agree, his style is quite different from most others. I happen to love it, I have my own Custom Anso on its way, but I understand it aint everyones cup of tea...

Mmmm... a cup of tea sounds nice.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Tricod. I love Jens work too. My plan is to get a Rock Lobster.

Please tell what model custom you have on it's way? Please,please tell me!
Aaron

vivi

Post by vivi »

Any release date announced yet?
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

I like the design of the Rocklobster, but I probably will not be getting one, due to the fact that I really have no need or want for large folders (I have small hands, and the Superhawk is about the largest I'm comfortable with :p ).
Back from an extended hiatus.
Killdozer

Post by Killdozer »

Anso has fantastic designs, I love going to his website and blog just to see what he is going to do next. Interesting designs is what attracted me to Spyderco in the first place. I am very glad he was not snagged by a certain other company with interesting designs but with lower quality and that ignores the importance of functionality.
-Mat