Hi Tomahawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Hi Tomahawk

Post by sal »

Hi Tomahawk,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Looks like it's been a bit of a "bumpy" ride? Sorry 'bout that. Hope this doesn't deter your interest in knives in general and our knives in particular.

Regarding the handle switch, it just isn'[t recommended. That doesn't mean that it isn't done, just that red handled knives that have had "live" blades had been confused with trainers in the past and resulted in some cuts.

Also without knowing your level of mechanical expertise, it's a difficult to suggest. We get many knives in a "baggie" that the customer wasn't able to properly assemble.

Many here are quite familiar with the inside of a Spyderco. Which also leads to a greater appreication of what we do and why.

As far as Cold Steel's "Proof" video: I don't think many here would really consider the video to be proof of much.

We can determine the steel's value with chemistry, hardness, CATRA testing, Q-Fog testing, and Charpy testing. We get accurate numbers for comparison without stabbing cars. We have machines that break parts and give us computer graphs of the break. We have standards for lock and blade strength that we design and build to. We can break anything, and we can build anything you want. We work for you.

If we want to make a knife more of something (eg: strength), we just make it thicker, or use a tougher steel, or a different edge geometry, or a different heat treat or etc.

We have a factory here in Golden, we build knives here. We have a testing facility to provide us with what we need to know.

Spyderco generally uses more expensive steels than Cold Steel pretty much across the board. Generally speaking, the more expensive steels are more difficult to make and process, but they perform better in the areas desired. Steel is not such a mystery here as it might seem to be.

For Cold Steel to say that Cold Steel's AUS-8 is superior in all ways to CPM-S30V is really hard to believe, for those that know about steels.

Lynn Thompson is a friend of mine. We have very different styles of marketing and very different customers. I would not be intersted in making a "proof" style video. We have done some instructional videos, but the proof of our product is managed in ways we feel is more effective for our customers.

I hope you stick around, bring your questions and your patience. We can discuss everything from carbon migration in high chrome steels to various edge geometry's for different desired results to cool looking materials or processes. We can discuss the particular design parameters on specialty designs. We can discuss countries of origin and why. As your depth of understanding grows in the magical world of knives, your interest in these areas will grow as well.

sal

-----------------------------------------------------------

We are all teachers and we are all students.
ClockWork

nice

Post by ClockWork »

Very classy....
... but I still don't like Heather Mills

.... and what the heck is carbon migration ?

-clock
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Nicely done Sal. You and Kristi do a great job of monitoring this site. Have a great day!
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Very nice post Sal, hope Tomahawk appreciates it as well :)

Looking forward to never seeing a Spyderco proof video :D

Sverre
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

ClockWork wrote:.... and what the heck is carbon migration ?
Carbon doesn't like cold climates, so it moves south for the winter. :p
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
lerman

Post by lerman »

SoCal Operator wrote:Carbon doesn't like cold climates, so it moves south for the winter. :p
LOL. :D
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

Sal you should run for president.

The world would be a better place for sure.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
araneae

Post by araneae »

Ever the gentleman. :spyder:
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
gac

Post by gac »

I reckon that post is a big example of everyone's brand loyalty.
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

Nicely said sal. As i see it there is a top 10 in every aspect of life. I would be board with only 1 car maker or 1 gun maker. Spyderco and cold steel are 2 of the top 10 production knife makers. What gives spyderco an edge (no pun intended...I think) is there ideas. First thumb hole...first pocket clip...spyder-edge...always upgrading materials...etc. That said...this is a spyderco web site, so most are going to be loyal to the home team. I come here because of spyderco not cold steel. Maybe lynn should skipp the next proof video and start a cold steel forum. :rolleyes: Question Sal: Can your spyderpeeps fully serrate my mint carbon-v trailmaster? ;) Take care...John
Slatts

Post by Slatts »

Hear hear. A company with a strong foundation of values is built to last. Sal and Chris Reeve are two of the best at cultivating a fertile field of longtime followers because of their principled leadership.
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

"magical world of knives"

I like that.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

bluemist wrote:"magical world of knives"

I like that.
Yeah "magical"

I have money... oops IT disappeared. Must be magic!

:confused: :D :D
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I've been away for a few days and all I have to say is that is one classy post Sal.

You are surely absorbing heat and radiating warmth. That's a really good trait to have. You're a good dude.

Super big Image
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

ClockWork wrote:Yeah "magical"

I have money... oops IT disappeared. Must be magic!

:confused: :D :D
LOL :D
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

I never said that Cold Steel was Better than Spyderco... I just asked why Spyderco Doesn't make videos. AND, I never Said that I was going to switch handles on my knife to a red handle... All I asked was, If anyone ever had switched one. (I don't even have two Spydercos... Just the one, SS handled Police) I also mentioned several other color combinations as well, but nobody picked up on that.
Its like nobody actually Read my threads... or if they did, they just picked out a few words and jumped all over that. I got maybe four or five honest answers to the questions I have presented in this forum... the rest were people trying to flame me or make themselves look smart by trying to make me look stupid.
I am new to this entire company and to this forum.
The reason I got into this forum in the first place was to talk to people who owned and used these knives on a regular basis. And instead of a warm welcome... I felt attacked. It was quite rare for me to feel like I got a genuine answer from a regular user. It felt more and more like the people on this forum felt I was inferior to them somehow because I didn't have twenty Spydercos, or because I said that, another companies product was also well made.
Within a matter of a few days I was starting to regret ever having bought a Spyderco... Not because of the Products Quality, But because of the Peoples attitudes on this forums.
If the certain subjects, or mentioning certain other companies, was going to cause such a problem, then new forum member should be notified of these taboo subjects when they first start out. Otherwise, it makes this company and those who use their products seem very elitist.
I don't happen to think that there is anything wrong with the products at all here at Spyderco... As a matter of fact, these knifes seem top notch. But you guys have to remember... When someone new comes aboard, they probably just own one of your knives... and they probably have some good honest question to ask. But just because someone asks questions, it doesn't mean that they are stupid or they don't know what they are talking about.

I have been a Mechanic, A Computer Repair Tech, and have been in Management for well over ten years. I am an Artist and a Photographer who has had Pieces in show that have sold for hundreds of dollars. I am in no way shape or form an idiot... and if someone want to try to prove that I am one by calling me names on a forum, then don't get angry when I write back with my own opinion.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

BHDKnifer wrote:Nicely said sal. As i see it there is a top 10 in every aspect of life. I would be board with only 1 car maker or 1 gun maker. Spyderco and cold steel are 2 of the top 10 production knife makers. What gives spyderco an edge (no pun intended...I think) is there ideas. First thumb hole...first pocket clip...spyder-edge...always upgrading materials...etc. That said...this is a spyderco web site, so most are going to be loyal to the home team. I come here because of spyderco not cold steel. Maybe lynn should skipp the next proof video and start a cold steel forum. :rolleyes: Question Sal: Can your spyderpeeps fully serrate my mint carbon-v trailmaster? ;) Take care...John
You know, I don't think I've ever seen a fully serrated ten inch blade.

When the big Ed Schempp chopper comes out, I would almost buy a SE version, just because it's such a crazy idea (imagine what that would do to a small bush :eek: ).
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Don't think I said it before: Welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around. :spyder:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

tomahawk23 wrote:I never said that Cold Steel was Better than Spyderco... I just asked why Spyderco Doesn't make videos. AND, I never Said that I was going to switch handles on my knife to a red handle... All I asked was, If anyone ever had switched one. (I don't even have two Spydercos... Just the one, SS handled Police) I also mentioned several other color combinations as well, but nobody picked up on that.
Its like nobody actually Read my threads... or if they did, they just picked out a few words and jumped all over that. I got maybe four or five honest answers to the questions I have presented in this forum... the rest were people trying to flame me or make themselves look smart by trying to make me look stupid.
I am new to this entire company and to this forum.
The reason I got into this forum in the first place was to talk to people who owned and used these knives on a regular basis. And instead of a warm welcome... I felt attacked. It was quite rare for me to feel like I got a genuine answer from a regular user. It felt more and more like the people on this forum felt I was inferior to them somehow because I didn't have twenty Spydercos, or because I said that, another companies product was also well made.
Within a matter of a few days I was starting to regret ever having bought a Spyderco... Not because of the Products Quality, But because of the Peoples attitudes on this forums.
If the certain subjects, or mentioning certain other companies, was going to cause such a problem, then new forum member should be notified of these taboo subjects when they first start out. Otherwise, it makes this company and those who use their products seem very elitist.
I don't happen to think that there is anything wrong with the products at all here at Spyderco... As a matter of fact, these knifes seem top notch. But you guys have to remember... When someone new comes aboard, they probably just own one of your knives... and they probably have some good honest question to ask. But just because someone asks questions, it doesn't mean that they are stupid or they don't know what they are talking about.

I have been a Mechanic, A Computer Repair Tech, and have been in Management for well over ten years. I am an Artist and a Photographer who has had Pieces in show that have sold for hundreds of dollars. I am in no way shape or form an idiot... and if someone want to try to prove that I am one by calling me names on a forum, then don't get angry when I write back with my own opinion.
Tomahawk; I don't think it is what you said in particular but how you presented yourself and the tone you used on this forum...I have seen newcomers get honest answers to their questions all the time, (as there exists a very knowledgeable base of people here, familiar with the product line) without having to argue with forum members all the way through the thread....I see in re-reading your thread that most of the accusations, insults, (which I won't get into, just re-read your own thread honestly and look for them) were made by you. Yes some of them were defensive responses to what you saw as an attack on you personally. Forum member here for the most part are users and know the quality of a Spyderco knife and what it can and cannot do...I don't think of you as a bad person, nor do I want to attack you or even defend the Spyderco name. I thought of my response to your thread not as an attack but a genuine explanation to your question...It is only my opinion, as your comments are yours, and you already know that everyone is entitled to have an opinion on an open forum like this one. Many times I have disagreed with forum members on certain topics as they have also disagreed with me and my comments on certain topics. I think the key here is the word respect...even if I don't agree with someone's opinion I respect them enough to know that whatever their opinion is, it was reach through some sort of logical intelligent process. I don't believe that forum members here are elitist in anyway nor do I think they think less of someone who has only one Spyderco knife as opposed to many. This is a forum to share information, opinions, thoughts and experiences...I have been here quite a while and think of many of the members of this forum as my family...The people here are good people and mean no harm to you or anyone else for that matter. Even over heated debates, and a few angry words exchanged I have always managed to make things right with other members with whom I have had these exchanges with...If anything in my post offended you in anyway I apologize, and it was not meant to offend...I think I can speak for most of the forum members when I say we are not out to get you...if anything we are a community of people with like interests who wish to welcome others with the same. Lets face it...This is all about Knives...not personality...I hope you will stay with us here, acquire many more wonderful spyderco knives, contribute thought provoking posts, learn, listen and become a valuable member of this community which so many of us are so proud of....My best wishes...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tomahawk,

Thanx for getting back to us. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Perhaps the experience was good for us to go through.

sal