Why No Spyderco Proof Videos???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I seem to think that Cold Steel proof videos appeal to those who are new or uneducated about knives in general. I think LT can probably sell the stink off of a skunk! I like a few of their things, but not most. I also evaluate the models that appeal to me in terms of the way that I would use it, which would most likely be to save my six.

I would not be plunging my folder into the hood of a car..............for what to stop it? Heck most bullets cannot do that. I would love to see CS use some of the money and time they use on those vids and apply it to their product line. Right now as I see it, the prices that they are charging for subpar products are astronomical........Maybe the ELU are really paying for those comical videos! :D
Slatts

Post by Slatts »

tomahawk23 wrote:Thats what I'm talkin about!
Sorry if you didn't get the sarcasm. Written word sometimes doesn't convey the true meaning.

I'm sure that Spyderco wouldn't stoop to the level of some who market their wares in such a fashion.
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

I didn't get on this website to hear Sarcasm from you back-patters... I got on here to talk knives wit intelligent knife owners... and I haven't done it yet. Everyone here seems to forget that Spyderco, Just like Cold Steel, or any other manufacturer is in business to SELL KNIVES and Make a profit.
If they are so worried about maintaining perfection in the knife world they would be handing these things out for free. I'm not here to Bust on Spyderco or Promote cold steel in any way... I just want to know the Good and Bad about any product that I chose to invest my money in.
I never said I needed to cut through a car hood... But its nice to know that a Knife can take such abuse without breaking in my hand, Injuring me!
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Hey bro, why are you so wound up. You asked for our opinions and when you get it, you want to blow up? if you read the post correctly, it said that I like a few of their products and wish they would spend more money upgrading some of their stuff rather than using subpar steel and charging premium prices. I am glad you are here to have intelligent conversations, but tone it down.

I want to enjoy your threads and your post. No need to blow up on everyone. That is not what we are about here. :D Take care and God Bless You. ;)
Slatts

Post by Slatts »

I smell something...
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

tomahawk23 wrote:I didn't get on this website to hear Sarcasm from you back-patters... I got on here to talk knives wit intelligent knife owners... and I haven't done it yet. Everyone here seems to forget that Spyderco, Just like Cold Steel, or any other manufacturer is in business to SELL KNIVES and Make a profit.
If they are so worried about maintaining perfection in the knife world they would be handing these things out for free. I'm not here to Bust on Spyderco or Promote cold steel in any way... I just want to know the Good and Bad about any product that I chose to invest my money in.
I never said I needed to cut through a car hood... But its nice to know that a Knife can take such abuse without breaking in my hand, Injuring me!
Cold Steel markets knives in a certain way. many people do not like that approach.

When spyderco builds a knife, they don't need to prove it won't break in your hand. I can list many other companies that produce high quality products that do not market in such a manner as cold steel. Kershaw, Case, Emerson, CRKT. The list goes on.

We all have opinions about certain knives and manufacturers. In my infancy of knife knowledge, i thought the proof videos were the coolest things since sliced bread. but i have matured, and found a company that i will support whole heartedly, Spyderco.

I do not think you are at the same level as me, as i am not at the same level of commitment as others here. Asking questions is fine, but your attitude in your responses to these answers is out of line. you just had a thread closed because of your attitude. if you really want to have a heated discussion about the merits or lack thereof of cold steel, please direct yourself over to bladeforums. there are many people there that will be happy to argue with you over there.
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

I want a Large Vaquero but I'm saving for a Citadel....

Not really important, but... thought I through it out there.
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Slatts wrote:I smell something...
Yeah, I know what you mean. Let's see what happens.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

My circle use to love certain Cold Steel Knives, particularly the kukris until we had 2 break in half from simply using them the way they were desingned for. I wont go into why they broke because Lynn has lawers, isnt that right Mr. T?

Anyway, to me safety is first. Almost every knife spyderco designs includes some sort of finger protection if you hold the knife properly. This is NO coincidence. Whenever i hold a cold Steel I feel like my fingers were not takin into consideration. Spyderco knives feel like an extension of my hand. So very user friendly.
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

TazKristi wrote:This has nothing to do with Cold Steel, only with us. "Proof" videos simply aren't our style. Those of you who have met Sal know this. Those of you who haven't... well I can only say that hopefully some day you will. We don't bang our own drum or beat our chests. Again, it's simply not our style. We're knife knuts too, we like building knives and getting them in to the hands of people who need them and want them.

Kristi
Amen, Kristi.

In my opinion, Spyderco producing a "Proof"-style video to prove the worth of their knives would make about as much sense as Ferrari sponsoring a demolition derby to prove the worth of their cars.
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Wow, this turned very quickly into a Spyderco vs. Cold Steel thread. I'm thinking we should let this one drop...
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
amen74

Post by amen74 »

That's what I'm saying. This is Sal's site. A topic of this sort doesn't belong here.
Aaron

kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

Who needs to stab through a car door? Not cut, as was previously mentioned, but stab, which is all I've seen CS knives do. The penetration isn't even enough to get through whatever vinyl/upholstery/plastic housing is covering it on the interior it seems. I guess if you wanted to intimidate someone you could do that, but if the person that would be posing a threat was in their car one would assume that they were driving away or trying to isolate themselves from you anyway, so why further badger them?

I dunno. Sure it can do it, but is it really necessary?
:spyder:
tomahawk23

Post by tomahawk23 »

The POINT of the videos is to PROVE to you that the knives can take some serious abuse! I don't NEED to pierce thought car-doors. A tanto point Spyderco could probably cut through a car door too, but no one would ever take one out of their display case to find out.
Do you guys Even READ these threads?
I didn't ask which was Better, Cold Steel or Spyderco... I just asked why there are no videos of anyone actually USING a Spyderco for anything other than slicing paper.
Slicing paper doesn't really impress me anyway. I can slice a piece of paper by folding it in half or pulling it across the edge of my desk.

You guys are just trying to make it seem like Cold Steel is low brow knives for people who don't know any better just because of your Brand Loyalty is So Bias. (You would buy Spyderco toilet paper as long as SAL was selling it.)
I don't buy a knife because of its brand name alone, I research and ask and TEST if possible. All I'm saying is its nice to see what the knife is capable of without having to put it through some horrible tests myself!
I was wondering if anyone knew why or maybe wished Spyderco would have something along the same lines.
You guys want to see Serious Knife tests... Go to knifetests.com
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Slatts wrote:I smell something...
Here's some tune-age to go along with the aroma:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=40
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

TazKristi wrote:"Proof" videos simply aren't our style.
That says it all right there.
araneae

Post by araneae »

You did receive a reply from a representative of the company. Chill :cool:
Maybe put the capital letters and bold print away and sleep on it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

The first time i picked up a fully serrated endura i knew what it would do i didnt need any proof. ;) Think of what a trailmaster with full spyder serrations would do to a side of beef.
ClockWork

Release date ????

Post by ClockWork »

So.... Taz Kristi.... any good news for us about the long awaited TP01???...

Any possible release date on the Spyderco toilet paper ???

I can't wait to get my hand on some... I already have 2 rolls on pre-order.

One roll of regular Quilted 2 ply, and one roll of the full flat ground Pillowsoft....

I can't wait !!!!

_clock
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
amen74

Post by amen74 »

I hope there are no Proof Videos of this stuff!
Aaron