What is a good tool kit for Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RIOT

What is a good tool kit for Spydercos

Post by RIOT »

some of my knives need to be tightened up a bit here and there and Ive seen some of you guy completley take them apart, what is a good tool kit for all those small screws ?
Andyjd

Post by Andyjd »

RIOT wrote:some of my knives need to be tightened up a bit here and there and Ive seen some of you guy completley take them apart, what is a good tool kit for all those small screws ?

I just go to Sears and get the small Torx drivers as needed
Shopping list: Tenacious CE, D'allara
EnRoute: :(
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

There are all-in-one sets from Husky with 4 bits with various sizes that are pretty handy. I have one in Torx and one with small Phillips & flathead bits. Covers most screws you'd ever find on a folder.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100087664
~ Nate
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

I like Benchmade's Blue Box Tool Kit, but a Torx kit may be cheaper.
Shike

Post by Shike »

jujigatame wrote:There are all-in-one sets from Husky with 4 bits with various sizes that are pretty handy. I have one in Torx and one with small Phillips & flathead bits. Covers most screws you'd ever find on a folder.

+1. I got 2 of each that way I keep one in the truck and the other with my knife collection.
STR

Post by STR »

Ironically the one that Kershaw sells in the way of that little key ring three piece phillips, T8 and T6 driver is a great tool for Spydercos, Kershaws, Benchmades and more.
They are cheap. Get several. I'll tell you what else. The tools are quality made. The drivers last and fit like they are supposed to also. Compare that to Craftsman or Snap On and these really shine as the better tool.
STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Andyjd wrote:I just go to Sears and get the small Torx drivers as needed
sounds like this will be the most likley one thatll come my way, thanks for the info people
tique

Post by tique »

I'll second the Kershaw kit. I don't know about the new BM blue box, but I used to kill the little torx bit in after swapping one or two clips, the Kershaw bit has held up very well to a lot of uses.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Radio Shack has a kit with all that you should need. I think it's about $15 and comes with a warranty.

Jim
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

jujigatame wrote:There are all-in-one sets from Husky with 4 bits with various sizes that are pretty handy. I have one in Torx and one with small Phillips & flathead bits. Covers most screws you'd ever find on a folder.

+2 ;)
literally though, you might want to get two drivers....one for counterresistance of the torx screw on the opposite side of the handle in some Clipits :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

I actually dont recommend the Sears ones. They are a tad undersized and are quite a bit more likely to strip you screw heads. Avoid them if possible. If thats all you have then, well just be carefull. Avoid Sears Torx drivers.

The Husky one is available at Home depot for about dollars and is a great one. I recommend it.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Tricod wrote:The Husky one is available at Home depot for about dollars and is a great one. I recommend it.
+1.

Jay
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I have the Sears Craftsman 1/4" hex bit sets (in both English and metrics). The sets come with a variety of hex bits to include both torx and hexogonal, and they fit into the magnetic socket of a driver handle (included with the set). This has worked fine for me.
STR

Post by STR »

Both the Sears USA made and Snap-On USA made torx drivers are all undersized for the tool. I have noted this on more than one set in their mini drivers. I have written both companies and complained about this to no avail because they are still the same way. If you go to Sears to get a set buy the cheap set of all the Phillips and Flat head and Torx drivers by L&R made in China if you just have to have a set. They are not as good a quality steel but they fit much better than the Craftsman do trust me.

If you were in my shop I could show everyday of the week how the Craftsman or Snap-On tool will lead you to believe the T-5 or T-6 screw in your folder is in need of replacement because the driver just spins in the head and then turn it out no problem at all just like its supposed to with the Kershaw tool, or the cheap China made tool I just listed above. These Craftsman and Snap-On tools do not fit properly. They lie to ya! Beware!

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
STR

Post by STR »

Here is a visual for you.

Seen here are some good fit tools and below that some bad ones. The three tools left to right are K&R I listed them as L&R incorrectly. Craftsman in the middle and this one if you can find them like this will fit from Sears. And far right is the tool Texas Knifemaker Supply sells. All these fit properly and are good tools. I've broken these just like I've broken the K&R ones. I think they can all break because its happened over time with all of them for me.

Now this second set of drivers are bad fitting tools. If your Craftsman or Snap-On drivers look like these take em back and get the good ones. These are smaller in size than they are supposed to be. Its not so much noticed once you get up above a T8 size but believe me they are loose fitting compared to a good one even in the larger sizes. You really see this in the smaller sizes. The T5 in this green color cap Craftsman and Snap-On are horrible as are the T6. They are a total waste of your money. Total waste of time to use and you will end up throwing them across the shop trust me.

STR
Attachments
Junk Drivers bad fit Craftsman Snap - On.jpg
Junk Drivers bad fit Craftsman Snap - On.jpg (9.71 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
Good fit drivers KR Craftsman Texas Knifemaker.jpg
Good fit drivers KR Craftsman Texas Knifemaker.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 2598 times

STR's Blog
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Kobalt also makes an all-in-one set like the Husky, a friend just showed it to me earlier today. Quality seemed on par with the Husky and the price is about the same. Should be able to find it at any Lowe's, in case there's no Home Depot in your area to carry the Husky.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

I may pick one up for what Brian mentioned, knives with screws on both sides.
~ Nate
tap

Post by tap »

STR wrote:Both the Sears USA made and Snap-On USA made torx drivers are all undersized for the tool. .... These Craftsman and Snap-On tools do not fit properly. They lie to ya! Beware!

STR
I have a craftsman T9 driver that fits properly in a T8 screw. :)