Gander Mountain disappoints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anon0918

Gander Mountain disappoints

Post by anon0918 »

I don't know what I was expecting. They're the only Spyderco dealer anywhere near here, so I finally went by there today. They had an aisle of knives, mostly Gerber, Swiss Army, Buck, Leatherman, Winchester.

How many Spyderco knives? Two. A single Endura, and a Ladybug. Both knives were on the same slot, as if they were trying to make more room for other brands. That was the only Spyderco slot in the entire aisle.

Needless to say, I'll be sticking to the internet for now...
xdshooter

Post by xdshooter »

That sucks. I think Gander Mountain has each store do its own ordering, maybe you could talk to the hunting manager. Here in the Twin Cities, the stores have two knife areas, the clamshell pack area, and the display case. My local store only has 8-10 models, most in the display case. Their prices are closer to msrp than I would like, so I don't buy knives there, but I do support them with plenty of firearm purchases.
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

Hmm, I did not check the display case, that was further back in the gun area, but given my tight budget I still wouldn't get knives from there. It's nice to see them in person before buying them though. :D
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

The Endura was about 80 bucks and the Ladybug was 40, right?

I checked Gander Mountain before too, and I searched all around all of their gun cases and then I asked someone where the heck the Spydercos that they said they carried were. The associate pointed me to two clamshell packages hanging, housing the same models you found.
:spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

But maybe they can order stuff for you - it's worked for me at a couple of places.

- best wishes, Jazz.
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

kraziekurtis wrote:The Endura was about 80 bucks and the Ladybug was 40, right?
They stuck both knives on one slot, for the Endura, which was $70 I believe. There was no price for the Ladybug.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I recollect the Gander Mountain in Fayetteville NC was very similar to what the OP described. Hardly any Spydies or other high end knives.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I believe those are the same (and only) two Spyderco knives, in three different Gander Mountains in this area. They had quite a few Buck, Kershaw, etc., and many were what I consider, cheap hunting/skinning/camping knives.

I don't think people outside this forum think of Spyderco when they think of hunting and fishing. Although there are many new knives coming out that will excell in this area, I don't get the impression that hunting and fishing are a focus for Spyderco. As much as I love Spyderco, they do not have much for this knife buying segment, at least on the "cheaper" end. A Moran is going to be my next deer knife. But most of my friends that hunt, cringe at paying over $50 for a knife. Maybe that says something about my friends, and I need to start hanging out with new ones. :) And I still can't believe that Spyderco does not have a fillet knife for my tackle box, that is currently in production! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love to get a Spydie FB fillet knife in H-1!
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

Detdaddy wrote:I'd love to get a Spydie FB fillet knife in H-1!
:eek: You just exploded my mind! No words... to describe... :D
gac

Post by gac »

I was in the Gander Mountain in Janesville, WI a couple weeks ago and they had three or four Spyderco models in the clamshell packaging. There were Enduras, Delicas, and Ladybugs and I think one more. They had a Military model in the display case that I got to look at and I really liked that knife. I do not recall prices but remember thinking they were high.
guntotin_fool

Post by guntotin_fool »

At gander, talk to the dept manager, tell him the price is too high, that you want to buy it, but only if they match the price you can get it for online. The guy I talk to in the local gander will match real prices. I can bring in an ad for something on line,with shipping buy no tax and he will meet that every time, usually beating it by a couple of dollars.

NEVER be afraid to ask is this the best price you can do.......
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Not surprising.

Last time I was in a Gander Mountain, all they had was the Ladybug.

(Yup, I bought it).
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

guntotin_fool wrote:At gander, talk to the dept manager, tell him the price is too high, that you want to buy it, but only if they match the price you can get it for online. The guy I talk to in the local gander will match real prices. I can bring in an ad for something on line,with shipping buy no tax and he will meet that every time, usually beating it by a couple of dollars.

NEVER be afraid to ask is this the best price you can do.......
I didn't think they were in a position to change prices on anything without approval from higher-ups. Did you really have to fight him for it or was he more than willing?
guntotin_fool

Post by guntotin_fool »

I live in north suburban area of the twin cities, minnesota, within an easy drive are Cabela's, Dick's, Sportsmans Warehouse, Scheels is only about a 1/2 hour and next years we will have a Bass Pro nearby, as well as the mom and pop stores all around. When I go in, if I have a print out from almost any website, not even an advertisement, but just a screen shot of a web page, he will beat it by ten % willingly.

Besides knives, I bought a Katadyne base camp, a hanging water filter for converting lake water to drinking water, which they had listed for 69.99 and an add from a web retailer had it for 52 with no shipping and he matched it. I know they do it on fishing stuff too, you match up the same thing to bass pro or cabela's and they will meet and beat the price, and so far, they are happy to do it.
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

You'd think they would advertise it more, or just offer their products at the normal low prices. They probably lose more business from thrifty shoppers than they get from customers with plenty of disposable income.
guntotin_fool

Post by guntotin_fool »

Well their model seems to be working as they are now the largest seller of firearms in the nation, and I believe they are number one seller of shimano stuff as well.