Best knife as a gift for a handiman?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anon0918

Best knife as a gift for a handiman?

Post by anon0918 »

My dad has a birthday coming up, and now that I am hooked on :spyder: , and have seen his modest knife collection (no big brands, but still good folding knives) I would like to get him one. He works with cars but also does a lot of handiwork. I would also like to get him one where the blade is made of this rust-proof H-1 steel. Is it worth it, or does the extra corrosion protection mean some other disadvantage?

I'm guessing serrated would probably be best, although half serrated and half not would be alright. What do you suggest? I was thinking maybe the Atlantic or Pacific Salt, depending on whether I want a point or not. How does the sharpness of these blades compare to the sharpest available?
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Sounds like you want a Salt I in either PE or SE. SE would probably suit a handyman better, unless he is slicing things a lot (like sandwiches)

I have a Black Salt I and love the compact Delica sized blade with the confidence of being able to abuse it in many different environments. Sharpening for me seems to be a bit difficult to get very very sharp. But as you'll see from comments by others later, the H1 steel is wok hardened and after a few sharpenings and lots of use, it should hold its edge better and be easier to maintain.

I love my Salt I :D . I would vouch for any of Spyderco's H1 blades, fantastic steel, surprised not to see it being used in more applications or by other 'tool makers'
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I don't have anything in H-1, but there are tons of positive comments about them on this forum. From other comments, serrated seems to be the way to go if you go H-1. Salt I or Tasman might be a good fit.

My suggestion would be an etched Cricket. The blade shape is awsome for cutting anything short of a sandwich. It's small and thin, but cuts like a demon. I suspect it would be comfortable for small or large hands. And the etching looks awsome on this knife. My dad's got a birthday coming up, and I was thinking of getting him one, to go with the NRA membership I got him.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

How about a Delica 4, perhaps in PE? At least for me, the Delica has always come across as a handy, practical, all-purpose knife... not too big, not too small.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

anon0918 wrote:My dad has a birthday coming up, and now that I am hooked on :spyder: , and have seen his modest knife collection (no big brands, but still good folding knives) I would like to get him one. He works with cars but also does a lot of handiwork. I would also like to get him one where the blade is made of this rust-proof H-1 steel. Is it worth it, or does the extra corrosion protection mean some other disadvantage?

I'm guessing serrated would probably be best, although half serrated and half not would be alright. What do you suggest? I was thinking maybe the Atlantic or Pacific Salt, depending on whether I want a point or not. How does the sharpness of these blades compare to the sharpest available?
i've used many steels, and H1 is my favorite. it actually work hardens as you use it... meaning its edge-holding powers increase. as far as "sharpness" goes, you can put a wicked edge on H1 steel very easily... retention isn't quite as good as S30V or VG-10... but after a couple years of use, it'll start getting up there! serrated h1 seems especially amazing, with considerably better edge-holding properties than the plain edge.

get your dad a SE pacific -- it was one of my first "workhorse" knives... and 3+ years later, i'm still horsing around with it... :D :D :D
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

great question....I think yablanowitz needs to provide some input here :p
that being said a Pacific Salt or Salt would be my H-1 recommendations.....other than it being easy to scratch (on the flats) the worry free nature and excellent edge retention (esp. with "work hardening" the edge as clovisc mentions) quite amazing to me....now if they only beadblasted the flats...then the ez scratching would be gone....like what gullwing (i think) did to his....but for a work knife that will pretty much "last forever" you can't go wrong with the Salt(s) :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

Thanks for all the suggestions! My parents live in an especially high-precipitation part of the US (no, not Florida, they're not retired yet :D ), and this combined with the fact that anything I get him is going to get covered in dirt and oil and grease quickly, I think the Pacific Salt with H-1 steel is probably the best choice. Judging from other comments on the forum, the SE version seems to retain the edge longer, and given the usefulness of a serrated edge, I'll probably go with that in the end. Thanks again!
A. Stanton

Post by A. Stanton »

I would recommend a stainless handle Police combo blade for the handy man. For a big knife, this thing rides incrediblely well in any pant pocket--fatigue, jean, etc. The combo blade can cut any time of material; and the blade is long enough for any cutting job or reaching to prod something. Finally the stainless will never get permanently stained by paint or chemical. I found rust never to be an issue with my knife.
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

That is a good point. I could see JB Weld getting permanently stuck in the crevices of an FRN, but it should be able to come off of a smooth stainless steel handle like on the Police, either by scraping it off or melting (600 degrees). Anyone agree/disagree?

Has anyone actually heard of cops using the Police, or is it just marketing?
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

anon0918 wrote:That is a good point. I could see JB Weld getting permanently stuck in the crevices of an FRN, but it should be able to come off of a smooth stainless steel handle like on the Police, either by scraping it off or melting (600 degrees). Anyone agree/disagree?

Has anyone actually heard of cops using the Police, or is it just marketing?
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Hey man :) I also have the Police model/ce, and it is everything that is bad@$$, but if I may say, with all due respect to the Police, I would stay with H1, but go with the New C120 Mariner....All H1, handle, lock bar, spring, and all together with a Titanium clip.....Best of all worlds :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

I have to agree with datan and the others, the SALT 1 is a great knife with a larger hole and thicker ridges for the thumb for people wearing gloves.

just dont get the yellow one if he works with greasy motors.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

my dad's first spydie was a salt I. he bought it before coming to visit me in the bush in africa.

it convinced him... and now he's got a few more... :D
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

bladese97 wrote: :spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Hey man :) I also have the Police model/ce, and it is everything that is bad@$$, but if I may say, with all due respect to the Police, I would stay with H1, but go with the New C120 Mariner....All H1, handle, lock bar, spring, and all together with a Titanium clip.....Best of all worlds :D
Has that been released yet, or do you know when it will be?
jmp

SE/CE patterns

Post by jmp »

If going SE or CE, avoid the Tenacious - my CE one has tearing grade deep serrations. But for an allrounder, it's better if the serrated portion is still capable of slicing / pushcutting, without super acute teeth getting in the way.

Something on the level of the Cricket serration pattern on a not-too-thick edge should work nicely, even for - say - removing the mantle from a piece of cable.

Wouldn't want to do that with my Tenacious.

Good luck,
Peter