on the back-up knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

on the back-up knife...

Post by Mr Blonde »

I am curious as to this forum’s members preferences in a back up knife. Assuming, that you carry one primary knife and a back-up knife. What kind of secondary back-up knife do you have? Do you prefer the back-up knife to be exactly like the primary, or do you have a different model and why? And how do you carry it, set-up for a weak hand draw or strong hand?

Thanks,

Wouter
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Backup knives..Hmmm
Since I have 2 hands I carry at least 2 knives..Its very hard for me to access across my body under streee so I prefer to have at least one knife accessible to each hand....
I mix n match my knives...
somethings, ie knives need to be left handed some right hand knives are OK on the left...
I carry Delicas..Navigators, Crickets, of course GUNTING-DRONES...
Sometimes I coordinate left and right knives to be the same..
most of the time I carry one set, the same set of knives regularly..
Lsaulog

Post by Lsaulog »

Hello Wouter,

I believe in the same concept of two hands, two knives. Depending upon the day of the week, I will carry different knives.

During the week in an office environment, I'll usually carry my serrated Bob Terzuola Starmate as my primary, and my serrated Native lightweight as my secondary.

I choose the Native for my left hand because it's easy to open and very comfortable to hold even in my weakside hand. It's also very easy to reverse the clip if I wanted to carry it in my right pocket.

During the weekend, I'll carry my SS Police as primary and my FRN Endura as secondary. Again, a lightweight knife for the left hand, just bigger than the Native.

If I need to pack lightly, I'll take a Cricket and Dragonfly. I'll mix and match depending on the activities for the day.

If I need to pack heavy, I'll take the Starmate, SS Police, Endura and Native.

Cross drawing a knife or a handgun doesn't work well for me. Like handguns, I would prefer my primary weapon to be drawn with my strong hand.

"Hope for the best. Be prepared for the worst. You'll never be disappointed."
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Mr. Blonde:

I prefer a backup identical to my primary knife. If possible, I'd want it set up for mirror image, left-side carry. If not, it would still be carried on the left side, just with a right-side clip orientation. At present, this is the way I carry a pair of Master of Defense Tempests.

I always try to keep my carry setup the same, no matter what I wear. If I want to carry something else, it's in addition to my primary knives, not as a replacement for them. A big part of developing conditioned reflexes is keeping your weapons and mode of carry consistent.

Stay safe,

mike j
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks for the replies. I have been pondering this issue a bit, and I believe I should go with a 'mirror'carry, i.e. two identical models for left and right carry. In my country, a pair of Natives would be best, as they are small enough to pass as pocket knives. Yet I can get a good grip on them, and they certainly seem strong enough in my practice drills.

I think I'll indulge my knifeknut spirit by only changing my third utility knife on a regular basis. Thanks,

Wouter
GSX-MAN

Post by GSX-MAN »

I usually carry only one knife. In some conditions (outdoor, holidays) I add a swiss utility knife.
zatoichi

Post by zatoichi »

Likewise, I carry a mirror image of my primary knife. Sometimes, that means buying 2 of the same knife if you feel comfortable with that...right now I have 2 delicas since they're affordable enough to buy to 2.
toothed

Post by toothed »

Since self-protection is not my primary reason for carrying a second knife, I usually pair knives that complement each other to extend the range of uses for the knives that may arise.

One knife would be large/medium (for cutting sub-sandwiches and breaking down large cardboard boxes) and the partner would be smaller (for opening snack bags or for use where the sheeple are grazing). One knife would be plain-edged (for detailed slicing/carving or peeling fruit); the other would probably be serrated (for cutting cord or rope). One knife would have a "straight" blade; the other would be a hawkbill (I love the PE Merlin). After collecting knives for awhile, you will have little problem varying your daily selections.

Again, self-protection is not my primary reason for carrying the knives, so being accustomed to quick drawing a familiar knife is not an issue for me. I guess what you carry as back-up depends on your primary purpose. Maybe the use of my second knife does not fit the usual definition of "back-up" knife.
toothed

Post by toothed »

Oops, I forgot that I was in the MBC forum. Sorry, disregard my previous post.