Goodbye, Old Friend (1999-2008)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Grendelspyce

Goodbye, Old Friend (1999-2008)

Post by Grendelspyce »

The G10 Harpy I've been EDC'ing since 1999 (one year shy of its 10 year anniversary) was lost on Thursday. As many of you guys know, going out without an EDC you've carried for that long is like going out naked. So now I am faced with the tough job of replacing my baby.

I'd like another black handle Harpy, but these are hard to come by on ebay. I'm thinking about the Tasman Salt Black FRN since I have come to love hawkbills. BUT...I have also been longing for a Yojimbo for a while now. The Tasman would be more practical since I mainly use my EDC for box cutting and the like, and the rust-proofing is fantastic as my harpy was showing the tiniest of rust marks before I lost her. BUT...that Yojimbo is so **** cool! I'd have to get a small key chain type knife for opening boxes since I would hate to use a warrior like the Yojimbo for such mundane tasks.

What do you guys think?
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

Sorry for the loss of your Harpy. That's a real bummer.

I say go for the Yojimbo and get a Dragonfly for box cutting/opening. The Yojimbo is hard enough to find as it is and will only get harder as time passes on, so if you pass on it now but eventually decide you would like it in the future you might have a harder time finding one, while the Tasman will be pretty easy to obtain if you should decide that you would still like to own a rust proof hawkbill.
:spyder:
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

I'm cheap, so I'd probably just go with the Tasman. If you go with the Yojimbo, you probably need to get two. Just imagine how hard the Yoji will be to replace if you lose it ten years from now. Yikes!

I have had several close calls with losing one of my Spydies, but I have always managed to find them. I did lose a Gerber EZ-Out one time, which led to me buying my Endura 3 CE, which led to me buying the rest of the Spydies in my signature list. So losing a Gerber is good, losing a Spydie is bad.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Hey dude, and Welcome to forums :) ...I am also sorry for your loss man; I don't own a Harpy :( , but have a few friends that do, and won't sell, and they are :cool: . I do own a Tasman though, and it is just great...I love it man, and I'm sure you will too :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
Grendelspyce

Post by Grendelspyce »

Thanks for the advice guys. Keep em coming!
xdshooter

Post by xdshooter »

You're in luck, the Superhawk is due out this year. :D
Grendelspyce

Post by Grendelspyce »

This is the first I've heard of the Superhawk. Will it be offered with a serrated edge?
griff76

Post by griff76 »

Hey Grendel, I would recommend the Tasman. H-1 steel is amazing stuff. The Yojimbo is pretty specifically designed for self defense and it sounds to me like you need a beater/work knife. The Superhawk is an amazing looking knife. I believe it is only going to be available in a plain edge. The only problem with the Superhawk is that you could probably get a black Tasman PE and SE as well as a Yellow Tasman PE and SE for the same amount of cash. There are some pics of the Superhawk in Mr. Blond's thread regarding the 2008 Amsterdam show.
"There was never a good knife made out of bad steel"
-Benjamin Franklin
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

griff76 wrote:The only problem with the Superhawk is that you could probably get a black Tasman PE and SE as well as a Yellow Tasman PE and SE for the same amount of cash.
Eh... not quite a full Tasman Collection. From what I've heard, you could get three Tasmans for the same amount of cash. (projected Street Price that I've seen has been around $180-$185)

On the subject of Tasmans, I would put in a vote for getting a Tasman. It's an awesome knife! Two recommendations, though:

1. Get SE. H1 just seems to work better in SE. I had both versions, and I ended up selling the PE version, but the SE remains a faithful EDC that just keeps going! :D
and 2. Go through at least 2-3 dulling/sharpening cycles before you decide whether to go with the Tasman as your EDC. The only downside of H1 is that it takes some time to work harden, but once it does, it can cut with the best of them! :cool:
Back from an extended hiatus.