Knives from Golden Colorado

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
telemeister

Knives from Golden Colorado

Post by telemeister »

Hi guys,

I have established a nice collection of knives so far and am looking to expand. So far all of the knives I have are from Seki. I would like to try and get a model that is made in Golden and was wondering if there are particular models that are made in Golden (or is it a matter of my location - i.e. if purchased in Sydney, then they are shipped from Japan)?

I have absolutely nothing against the Japanese knives - they are, as we say in Aust. 'fan-bloody-tastic!', I would just like a Golden made one for the collection.

Any help would be appreciated. (sorry if it is a stupid question!)

Post by aj1985 »

I think I also read that most knives that use CPM S30v are made in Golden.

Manix
Lil temp
DODO
Yojimbo
P'kal
Para Military
Military
Native
ATR
and many more

I would get the manix or dodo, lil temp or yoji as one of my firsts
take care
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

I do believe all s30v knives are made in golden. the japenese don't like any but their own steels :)
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

Nice collection so far. I think the para military would be a great first "Golden" knife.
Agent Starling

quite right...

Post by Agent Starling »

ousanas wrote:I do believe all s30v knives are made in golden.
Yes, this is true! :spyder:

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

ousanas wrote:I do believe all s30v knives are made in golden. the japenese don't like any but their own steels :)
Well, some manufacturers may have special agreements with the Japanese forges, but mostly it just an economic phenomenon. It just doesn't make sense to ship an American steel to Japan to be made in a knife, then ship it back to the states, when there is a comparable Japanese steel readily available.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ousanas wrote:I do believe all s30v knives are made in golden. the japenese don't like any but their own steels :)
Up until now, and at the present time, that is true. However the Sage, which is due out sometime this year, will be made in Taiwan and will use S30V.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
swingshot

Post by swingshot »

aj1985 wrote:I think I also read that most knives that use CPM S30v are made in Golden.

ATR
Clarification: The Titanium handled ATR is made in the U.S.
The steel handled ATR is made in Japan.

A quick way to tell the difference is that the Titanium version has 4 of the larger holes in the handle whilst the steel handled version has 6 of the larger holes. (along with 5 smaller ones)
carrot

Post by carrot »

I think the shining example of Golden craftsmanship is the Military. Others may disagree, but of all the Spydies I've tried and owned the Military truly demonstrates why Spyderco is the king of the hill when it comes to high performance knives.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Recommend you consider either the Military or Manix as your choices from Golden, Colorado. Both are excellent designs that handle well.

telemeister wrote:Hi guys,

I have established a nice collection of knives so far and am looking to expand. So far all of the knives I have are from Seki. I would like to try and get a model that is made in Golden and was wondering if there are particular models that are made in Golden (or is it a matter of my location - i.e. if purchased in Sydney, then they are shipped from Japan)?

I have absolutely nothing against the Japanese knives - they are, as we say in Aust. 'fan-bloody-tastic!', I would just like a Golden made one for the collection.

Any help would be appreciated. (sorry if it is a stupid question!)

Post by SoCal Operator »

The Ti ATR had an S30v blade. Many of the Japanese steel makers prefer that Japanese factories handle their steels. The Native is a great first Golden model. If you can, a Manix, Yojimbo, or Dodo would also be a great score.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Mr. Janich's Yojimbo is also an awesome choice. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
dialex

Post by dialex »

Another vote for the Military. It has years and years of refinements and it is one of the best linerlocks one can find.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

I would go for the Military or the Chinook III. Both are rock solid knives straight from Golden, Colorado!
:spyder:
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Hey dude....Your question is not dumb at all :) I too, have nothin against Seki Spyders, and do have alot of them as well, but there is nothing better than knowin you have a True Golden Spyder at your side at all times to Massicer anything you want to cut/seperate :eek: I would sugjest the Para/se, or the Titanium Atr, if you can find one, and are willing to Massicer your wallet. I have 2 Paras(1/se&1/pe), and you won't go wrong :cool: I also have 2 Ti-Atr's(1/pe&1/se), and....Uh...**** ya, I love them too :D Let us know what you choose dude :)
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

Another vote for the Military. It's big, but it carries light and it changed my mind about linerlocks. If you can grab one of the D2's while they are still around, do it!
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

Yojimbo for SD.
Paramilitary for general purpose. Very good for SD too.

Awesome knives, I love compression lock.

Greetings
"El Tigre"