Which Ss Handled Spydie Is Your Favorite?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MANIXWORLD

Which Ss Handled Spydie Is Your Favorite?

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Ok,i dont have any SS handled Spydies yet,but a Byrd Meadolark,but the Byrds dont count on this one.
I will have to say the Adventura is mine,i love the design, overall ergo's,the futuristic look and thinness of the handle-I WANT ONE!
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

For me, either the ATR or the Cricket.

I like the ergos of the ATR, but the Cricket is just so darn useful, and fits in the watch pocket of my jeans.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I really love my S/S Lava. Even though there are issues with S/S knives being a bit more slippery than their FRN/ micarta/ G10 counterparts. I find that with the inherent design of the Lava, the choils give the Lava a really satisfyingly confident grip. You just know that once it is nestled into your hand it won't be oin anywhere you didn't tell it to go !

I would assume the Poliwog with its shape would fare the same way. However, I do not yet have the Poliwog and will be getting one soon cos it just looks insane :p Same could be said with the Cicket (also one which I NEED to get !)

The S/S Delica IMHO handles very well, however I do not use it for any hard tasks just by mere fact of the handle which could get slippery.

The Native II is another one which IMHO be handled with a fair bit of confidence due to its choils giving some added security from slipping.

As you mention, the thinness of the handle is one plus. I would also add to that the fact that the 'weightiness' of it just makes it feel like it was carved out of he same hunk of steel.... a sorta confidence inspriing feeling. I also like it that the metal adjusts its temperature to your body, making it feel like it has melted into your hands :D

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
raven

Post by raven »

About 95% of my Spydie collection is SS Handled. I really have about four that stand out for me.

Adventura (MANIXWORLD Grab One ...You Won't Be Disappointed ;) )
LAVA
Delica
SS PE Calypso Jr. You want to talk about an extension of the hand and comfort. This Bad Boy is it :cool: !!!

Cool Thread MANIXWORLD!!! Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Shike

Post by Shike »

The Dragonfly

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

For me it would have to have been the Scorpius that I used to own. Even though it was kinda different looking it stayed put in the hand amazingly due to it's shape. It almost didn't matter that it was stainless. ;)

Good knife.....under appreciated too.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

SE Police, or Cricket, Or maybe the Dragonfly. I have a SS Cara Cara too. they are much better looking new though. they tend to scratch up pretty easily
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
Tank

Post by Tank »

For me its Adventura, ATR and Lava.
-John
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

have to agree with datan...with the deep choils, I'd go for the Lava and the Navigator II for a secure grip.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
ducktaper

Post by ducktaper »

The Lava for sure. Incredible design.
Then that PE Native II, even with it's slightly slimmer profile and slender'r :confused: blade than it's FRN cousins, the heft the SS affords makes for a well balanced tool.
Ted H

Post by Ted H »

I only have one, an SS Endura serrated--just got it last week. A little slippery at first, but I really like it, and it's got a wicked bite! :spyder:
Michael Cook

train hard and stay safe!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Kerambit, super stable in the hand. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only one of mine that has gotten any serious pocket time is the Lava. Nice size, superb ergos, designed by a good friend, and built by Spyderco. Hard to top that combo. Then again if a front bolstered, curly koa scaled version ever came out... :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I would give a nod to the Adventura. I know because I have one......thanks raven! ;) I am sure that the Lava is up there also due to its handle design and great ergos. Ahhhhhh, the karambit shines, such a misunderstood tool! :D
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Now im thinking of the D4W/E4W with a SS handle,probably serrated,aswell..
its funny and interesting how the Spydies that aren't that easy on the eye,are the one's that are the most comfortable,easy and usefull in the line.thats Spyderco i guess-COOL!!
Michael Bolton

Post by Michael Bolton »

The Deacon wrote:The only one of mine that has gotten any serious pocket time is the Lava. Nice size, superb ergos, designed by a good friend, and built by Spyderco. Hard to top that combo. Then again if a front bolstered, curly koa scaled version ever came out... :D
Lava Lava Lava. No doubt about it. The design of the Lava makes it as "grippy" as an G10 model..the design is pretty amazing IMHO.

:spyder:
:spyder: Fred Perrin Street Beat, Blue Yojimbo, Black Yojimbo, Chinook III, Lava (x2), Delica

For 2008: Rocklobster, Rookie, Phoenix, Barong, Khukuri, Lum Chinese folder, Urban
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not a big SS fan due to the slippery of them, but I have a soft spot for Adventura. I used to have two of them, gave away one to a friend, keeping second. It is a very good knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BlueRider

how about Ti instead of SS

Post by BlueRider »

I carried a SS delica every day since the early 1990's until it was recently stolen. I opted to replace it with a Ti handled delica. I never thought of the SS handle as slipery but the subtle texture of the Ti is absolutely perfect. The knife is still slim in my pocket and slides in and out smoothly but the feel in hand is supurb. After carying it for almost a month I have to wonder why this knife was only made for the Japanese market. I am also wondering why all SS handled Spidies are not offered with this handle option world wide. I bought my knife on the bay but I also found them available online from HAMONOICHIBA.com be prepared to shell out close to $175 for one of these puppies. I paid a bit less, but still over $150. It is the only knife I own and I am thinking about buying another as a back up.

I used to think my old delica was the perfect knife, I was wrong. The Ti handled delica with ATS 34 blade is the perfect knife.
Attachments
sp_11_02.jpg
sp_11_02.jpg (20.03 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Agent Starling

yes...

Post by Agent Starling »

Michael Bolton wrote:Lava Lava Lava. No doubt about it. The design of the Lava makes it as "grippy" as an G10 model..the design is pretty amazing IMHO.
Lava x3 for me as well, and the SS Harpy...sweet! :D

Agent Starling :cool:
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I would have to say that my favorite SS knife is the Police. The SS tends to not eat pockets to the same degree as G-10 and has a nice solid feel to it. The handle on the Byrd Crossbill is not bad either.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser