Carbon Fiber vs G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmazzi

Carbon Fiber vs G10

Post by jmazzi »

What do you like/dislike about the two? Its hard to tell from pictures online, but it seems the carbon fiber looks a little nicer.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

I'm a big fan of peel-ply carbon fiber (millies & stretch). It's hard to beat g-10 though! Looking from a price point, I don't think CF is worth the extra $. THAT said my favorite :spyder: 's are peel-ply CF models!
jmazzi

Post by jmazzi »

jmazzi wrote:What do you like/dislike about the two? Its hard to tell from pictures online, but it seems the carbon fiber looks a little nicer.
Specifically with the caly 3.
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

I could be wrong, but I think the price difference between the two Calys also relates to the steel. The carbon fibre uses the ZDP-189 steel, which has a lot more carbon in it (3 times as much, I think :confused: ). This would give a much sharper edge (although the VG-10 isn't exactly blunt).

Having said all this, I could be completely wrong!! Someone might care to correct me?!?!

As for the photos, the handles look pretty cool on both of them, until I had both of them, I couldn't tell you which would be better.

Sorry for the lack of help! :eek:
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: CF sure ain't for the common man. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
dialex

Post by dialex »

From a functional point of view I can't find any difference between G-10 and peel ply CF. Although both are grippy, G-10 seems somehow... softer.
CF seems nicer, though. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I have both Caly 3 models. The G10 is going to feel grippier because of its texture. The CF isn't bad, but it's pretty smooth. Not real slick, just smooth. And I just like to feel some texture on the handle of a work knife.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Isn't CF a fair bit lighter than G-10? Personally my favorte CF as far as looks go is something I don't see Spyderco doing, which is smooth but matte finished CF. Same goes for G-10 as well for that matter.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have strong preferences to G10 and micarta. Micarta, G10 and CF are strong enough for all my needs. IMHO peel-ply CF is not grippy as G10 and linen micarta looks better than polished CF. For me CF is just expensive "hot" material, which raising street price of the knife, sometimes making it out of my reach. If I am interesting on design, I will buy the knife anyway, but if the knife is "may be", than extra price can make a difference in my buying decision.
Most likely quite a few people can say the same about G10 & micarta, comparing them to FRN.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I have not decided yet, which I prefer, because I wonder if cf has the same, or some performance/resistance quallities that g-10 does :spyder: Does anybody know :confused:
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I think Carbon fiber is the new "cool" handle material. It looks and sounds cool and its expensive. Does it have a functional advantage? Not that I can tell. As I'm a user on a budget, that rules out 99% of the carbon models for me.

The Sage for example is highly appealing to me, but it is at my price ceiling currently. I will have to wait and save or perhaps receive it as a gift if I'm lucky. I do hope to get it, but if it was G-10 or FRN the price would most likely be more attainable for me. I would probably buy all the lock variations they make of this model.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

telemeister wrote:I could be wrong, but I think the price difference between the two Calys also relates to the steel. The carbon fibre uses the ZDP-189 steel, which has a lot more carbon in it (3 times as much, I think :confused: ). This would give a much sharper edge (although the VG-10 isn't exactly blunt).
ZDP isn't any ''sharper'' than VG-10. ZDP simply stays sharp through more use (all else being equal).

Back on topic:
From a user's standpoint, I don't think CF is worth the extra money. G-10 works beautifully for me.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:ZDP isn't any ''sharper'' than VG-10. ZDP simply stays sharp through more use (all else being equal).

Back on topic:
From a user's standpoint, I don't think CF is worth the extra money. G-10 works beautifully for me.
In addition to staying sharp longer, since ZDP is harder than vg-10, it can take a more extreme angle (I know some people who use 15 degrees inclusive - 7.5 per side) which would give improved cutting ability.

As to g10 and CF, I think CF is a little lighter than g10, and being less common it has some additional value to collectors. Both g10 and peel ply offer excellent grip.
To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full, to the engineer its twice as big as it needs to be.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I have found that my CF handled knives tend to resist the effect of the pocket wearing the texture down better. After a few years in the pocket the G10 starts to get smooth. My peel-ply CF has not had this happen as of yet.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I prefer the smell of Carbon Fiber to that of G-10. *Did I say that out loud?*

No really, I just love the smell of CF scales in the morning. It smells like...victory! ;)

I have found that the G-10 is a bit harder on the pockets than the CF.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

jmazzi wrote:Specifically with the caly 3.
To answer your question, the Caly3 ZDP/CF does look ALOT nicer than the G10 counter part, and the zdp is so superior in term of edge holding capability, which can hold 25 or less inclusive degrees just fine. Well worth every penny imo :p
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

We have a couple of CF lefty D3s that we've had for a while. They were users for a year or so. The thing about those knives is that the VG10 blades do show a few marks from cutting and touching up... nothing serious, of course. The smooth CF scales show nothing... zip... zilch. They are as smooth and shiny and scratch free as the day they arrived from Golden.

Honestly, if we were just talking about rugged, light, and indestructible, I'd pick FRN every time. For a work knife (which most of mine are), I prefer G10 for its feel and the way that Spyderco and Al Mar texture it. For pretty and different, I get CF. I really like the looks of my CF Caly 3 and I like the variation of the CF on my BG42 Millie. Neither of those get hard use or are likely to in my family. For that, I'll take the G10/VG10 Caly 3 or the G10/S30V Millie.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935