Staining on my Blue Yojimbo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Bolton

Staining on my Blue Yojimbo

Post by Michael Bolton »

Does anyone else have an issue where the handle of their blue yojimbo becomes kinda stained? almost like you were handeling it with dirty hands? it's subtle, but there's definately a slight darkish (dirty?) discoloration on the handle, everything else is perfect, and I know that i haven't been handling my favorite spydie with filthy hands....
:spyder: Fred Perrin Street Beat, Blue Yojimbo, Black Yojimbo, Chinook III, Lava (x2), Delica

For 2008: Rocklobster, Rookie, Phoenix, Barong, Khukuri, Lum Chinese folder, Urban
swingshot

Post by swingshot »

G10 tends to attract tends to attract skin or other small particles. In the case of lighter colors this can make the scales look a little faded or even slightly grubby.
Michael Bolton

Post by Michael Bolton »

I just did a test where i clipped the Yo in my pocket and reached in to pull it out. Most of the staining occurs where my thumb slips into thepocket and pushed the Yo out and up (with my index finger pulling up on the outside by the clip. Is this normal?
:spyder: Fred Perrin Street Beat, Blue Yojimbo, Black Yojimbo, Chinook III, Lava (x2), Delica

For 2008: Rocklobster, Rookie, Phoenix, Barong, Khukuri, Lum Chinese folder, Urban
stoneman

Post by stoneman »

I bought a blue dodo that was supposed to be brand new but I got it with a stain on the scale aswell. It's almost rusty in colour. I wasn't too pleased when I found it.
-Steph
-"How many of those spyder thingies do you really need? "-my girlfriend-
_ SERENITY NOW!!!!!- Frank Costanza
Michael Bolton

Post by Michael Bolton »

I know, stoneman, i would love to be able to remove the grubby look, i cringe every time i see it. is there any safe way to do this without damaging the Yo (or Do) or any G-10 colored handle? A 'Rusty' color is a perfect description!

stoneman

Post by stoneman »

I've heard wd-40 really does a good job at bringing g10 back to life, but I haven't tried it yet myself. I've seen before and after shots somewhere and the knife seemed to shine like new again.
-Steph
-"How many of those spyder thingies do you really need? "-my girlfriend-
_ SERENITY NOW!!!!!- Frank Costanza
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

A good clean with some spirits or even a dishwashing liquid will do the trick. Use a nail brush or toothbrush to get in the little grooves.

After a clean a quick shot of WD40 and a wipe down and your g10 will look like new
"So many knives, so little pockets"
Michael Bolton

Post by Michael Bolton »

Andre V wrote:A good clean with some spirits or even a dishwashing liquid will do the trick. Use a nail brush or toothbrush to get in the little grooves.

After a clean a quick shot of WD40 and a wipe down and your g10 will look like new
Ok, so scrub the handle with a little bit of soap and water, scrub with toothbrush, allow to dry (this won't cause the metal to corrode on the Yo?), then spray WD40 on the handle?

Andre V

Post by Andre V »

Michael Bolton wrote:Ok, so scrub the handle with a little bit of soap and water, scrub with toothbrush, allow to dry (this won't cause the metal to corrode on the Yo?), then spray WD40 on the handle?
You should always treat any metal parts with some sort of oil to avoid rust. Just give it a good clean and then when you are using the WD 40 just treat the metal parts as well, this will prevent any corrosion
"So many knives, so little pockets"
Michael Bolton

Post by Michael Bolton »

Thanks!

asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

I have the same thing with my Dodo and found this:
march 2005,
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14079

Hope it helps.
Michael Bolton

Post by Michael Bolton »

Just to clarify so I don't mess things up, it's Ok, if the inside of the Yojimbo gets wet during the brushing/soaping/scrubbing process...just rub down all the metal surfaces with oil after?

:spyder:

igrowbamboo

Post by igrowbamboo »

After cleaning with soap and water, I like using the small cans of compressed air (the one's used for key boards) to blow out all the moisture.
Michael Bolton

Post by Michael Bolton »

Thanks for the tips guys. My cleaning protocol includes:

1.) compressed air to blow out loose dust/debris/lint
2.) q-tip to get bigger stuff
3.) soap + warm water + toothbrush to scrub the g-10 (WOW! What a difference it makes!)
4.) Shake out loose water and use blowdryer on warm setting to blow out/dry insides and in the nooks + crannies, especially the compression lock
5.) WD-40 on all metal parts, then use a cloth and q-tip to wipe off the oil (you apply the oil then wipe it down, right? you don't just leave the oil on the metal, right?)

Does this sound about right?

kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

The only thing I would change is not rely on the WD-40 on the metal parts.

For more information check out The General's post here:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... ight=wd-40
:spyder:
redback

Post by redback »

You can clean most things, including steel and G10 scales, with bicarbonate of soda. Totally safe and non-toxic too.
My Spyderco knives: C95 Manix (x2), Dragonfly, Endura, Rescue, S1 Salt (x2) (EDC), Flat Byrd, Tenacious
Other: BM Rukus (x2)(EDC), BM Skirmish, BM Mini-Griptilian, Fallkniven S1, CS Spike, Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Covert, Gerber LMF II Infantry Knife, CS Finn Bear, Ontario RAT-7 (x2), many Ontario machetes
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

Andre V wrote:A good clean with some spirits or even a dishwashing liquid will do the trick. Use a nail brush or toothbrush to get in the little grooves.

yep. that will do it very nicely.
fultoncoshooter

Post by fultoncoshooter »

is a spyderco dishwasher safe?
Michael Bolton

Post by Michael Bolton »

Flitz makes a number of different products...which would you guys recommend specifically for protecting the metal bits of the Spydie?

swingshot

Post by swingshot »

fultoncoshooter wrote:is a spyderco dishwasher safe?

I'd be inclined to say that the only ones that come even remotely close are the H1 models.