A Byrd Cricket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aj1985

A Byrd Cricket

Post by aj1985 »

I'm just wondering is there such a thing in the works or has it been already announced and I was just sleeping.

I tend to mainly give out knives to the many people I meet or people that I consider friends.

Most have never carried a folder, but love the designs of the cricket as well as the subcom. No nonsense little knives that do a very good job.

I have given out about 5-6 subcoms to friends and they all love the knife. The price point is perfect as well $25 delivered.

I would love to give out crickets, but more than $50 per knife is quite a bit steep and I can't even find any FRN ones which imo are better than the current SS ones.

Will in the future the Byrd line up carry a variation of the cricket.

take care
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

...or even something like the Spin. A byrd version of the classic Spyderco "Little Big Knife".
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Good idea guys... I was thinking about something like that too. When is something like byrd wings, why not little big???
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

The spin really does nothing for me. In all honesty the cricket is the best little knife Spyderco has produced and it really has no competition.

I wish the price would be a little bit lower just so I can introduce this great little knife to a lot more people.

aj
Live in every breath

Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

I'm sure the byrd line can use a LBK. But, if it we're up to me (and more than likely I am completely ignorant about this), I would opt against it. I think what sets the cricket apart from the rest (i.e. subcoms/benchmites/chives and others in it's size class) is the fact that it is built like a tank. Superior build quality and superior blade material. I think that is the cricket's niche. If ever, I would prefer another spyderco-branded variation of the cricket. Keep the bar raised! Just my $.02.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am not sure about a Byrd version of the Cricket, perhaps something similar would be okay. I would like to see a few more LBK's come to the market. Byrd does have a niche open between the Robin (which is IMO one of the best LBK's period) and the Finch waiting to be filled. I would like to see the following:
  1. A small hawkbill
  2. A small Wharncliffe
  3. A new take on the Reverse S Blade or Dodo blade
  4. The return of the FRN :spyder: Cricket (maybe in a new color)
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Spygineer wrote:I'm sure the byrd line can use a LBK. But, if it we're up to me (and more than likely I am completely ignorant about this), I would opt against it. I think what sets the cricket apart from the rest (i.e. subcoms/benchmites/chives and others in it's size class) is the fact that it is built like a tank. Superior build quality and superior blade material. I think that is the cricket's niche. If ever, I would prefer another spyderco-branded variation of the cricket. Keep the bar raised! Just my $.02.
I understand what your saying, but have to disagree with you.

People like you and me may care where the knife is made, the steel, the ethics of a company and so many details that an average individual wouldn't even think of.

I own 30 plus knives and to this day I really don't care about the steel. (VG-10, Aus-6, Ats 34, 52100. S30v) If it gets dull I sharpen it. I don't switch to another knife with a better steel, because I can take 5 minutes out of my day and sharpen the knife.

Most of my friends don't even know how a knife opens and closes let alone what the steel is or even care where it's made.

I just think that there should be a variation of the cricket in the Byrd line, because I would like to introduce people to a good knife like the Cricket, but at a much better price point.

Until I find something better I guess the best most cost effective little knife for me to give others is CLB subcom varaiation. I just wanted a folder along the same line that would compete against the subcoms.

take care
aj

P.S I STILL LIKE SPYDERCO :D and have many knives to prove it
Live in every breath

jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

interesting idea aj1985, a byrd-cricket :cool:
until then the best byrd imho for gift giving is an FRN or G10 Robin... :cool:
I just noticed today that the blade thickness of the Meadowlark/Robin was 2.5mm while the other larger byrds like the CaraCara have 3mm thick blades.....now I realized why i've preferred the slicing abilities of the Robin/Meadowlark more than my other Byrds :rolleyes:
The FRN/SS Finch's are awesome gifts too ;)
Here's the FRN Meadowlark next to the Robin...

brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

jaislandboy wrote:interesting idea aj1985, a byrd-cricket :cool:
until then the best byrd imho for gift giving is an FRN or G10 Robin... :cool:
I just noticed today that the blade thickness of the Meadowlark/Robin was 2.5mm while the other larger byrds like the CaraCara have 3mm thick blades.....now I realized why i've preferred the slicing abilities of the Robin/Meadowlark more than my other Byrds :rolleyes:
The FRN/SS Finch's are awesome gifts too ;)
Here's the FRN Meadowlark next to the Robin...

The byrd knives are cool, but most people got their subcoms from me because I was carrying them and they liked the way it looked. Plus I believe people gravitate towards the knife because of the blade shape, size, handle material and the overall the coolness factor.

aj
Live in every breath

jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

yeah aj1985, i agree those "biscuits" are :cool:

brian
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I understand your reason for wanting a Byrd Cricket, but disagree with it. The Cricket is slim, and very well put together... I just don't think Byrd could produce the same quality.

A small Reverse-S blade on a Byrd... Sure, a Byrd Cricket... No.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

flyguy wrote:I understand your reason for wanting a Byrd Cricket, but disagree with it. The Cricket is slim, and very well put together... I just don't think Byrd could produce the same quality.

hey flyguy, I can see your point as equally valid :)
it'd be easy enough? for :spyder: to make a Flatbyrd w/that reverse-S blade down the road :rolleyes:
brian
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

flyguy wrote:I understand your reason for wanting a Byrd Cricket, but disagree with it. The Cricket is slim, and very well put together... I just don't think Byrd could produce the same quality.

In all honesty No Byrd is trying to compete with Spyderco knives. It's just trying to compete with knives within the same price range made by other companies.

Most people think $50 bucks for a knife is a whole lot when some of us have spent hundreds on knives we use daily. Don't even get me started on customs. I will never tell some people how much I pay for certain knives :p .
Live in every breath

aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

jaislandboy wrote:yeah aj1985, i agree those "biscuits" are :cool:

that was my first subcom eh.

I loved the thing, but a friend liked it so it became his. He uses it everywhere and loves the thing.

I probably will get about 4to5 more and I wanted to try that subclaw as well.

I can't wait to actually own another subcom :D

aj
Live in every breath

Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

araneae wrote:I am not sure about a Byrd version of the Cricket, perhaps something similar would be okay. I would like to see a few more LBK's come to the market. Byrd does have a niche open between the Robin (which is IMO one of the best LBK's period) and the Finch waiting to be filled. I would like to see the following:
  1. A small hawkbill
  2. A small Wharncliffe
  3. A new take on the Reverse S Blade or Dodo blade
  4. The return of the FRN :spyder: Cricket (maybe in a new color)
Did someone say small hawkbill??? :rolleyes:

[ATTACH]10405[/ATTACH]

***My desperate attempt to get Sal's attention***
Attachments
cricket variation.jpg
cricket variation.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Spygineer wrote:Did someone say small hawkbill??? :rolleyes:

[ATTACH]10405[/ATTACH]

***My desperate attempt to get Sal's attention***
sure is ugly enough to be a Spyderco :p
Live in every breath

Levi

Post by Levi »

I very kindly received a G10 Robin from Spyderco at the Leeds meet, and I have to say for a small, cheap knife it hits the mark perfectly. We're not supposed to carry locking knives for EDC here in the UK, but I'm seriously thinking about carrying this knife until I have the funds for an orange UKPK and/or Urban.

If there's any "gift" knife out there that will turn people on to the Spyderco/Byrd brand I'd say this is it.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I would like to see this as well.

Right now I use my Spin and Cricket all the time. I'd love to have something like a Byrd in that size that I could pick up for days I go to the beach/other places i don't bring my nice Spydies.

Personally, my favorite LBK is the Spin. I absolutely love everything about the knife. Smaller than the Cricket, but better grip and for craft type work, better blade. But not dissing the Cricket. That thing is truly awesome for opening packages and picking staples.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
pedro navaja

Post by pedro navaja »

A Byrd Cricket should be called "Colibri" :)

Pedro

The world is full of apathy, but I don't care

Arriel
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Personally I was just thinking about this the other day. Not necessarily a byrd variation on the Cricket per se but a small byrd framelock that would fill the same kind of niche as the Cricket or the Spin. I think something in this vein would go over well.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...