Collectors VS Users

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aj1985

Collectors VS Users

Post by aj1985 »

Hey guys how are yah

When I started buying knives a year ago I was quite happy. Each knife was used almost daily or at least weekly and had a specific purpose.

I have enough knives for a dozen lifetimes. Probably around 30 or more and most being Spyderco :D Most now just sit in my drawer in their boxes, because I have a lot of little kids coming in my house.

I have given away 5-6 knives to close friends who everyday appreciate the use of a knife more and more, but most around me aren't big knife carriers. The biggest thing I truly can not stand regarding a knife is just keeping them and not using them. I love using each and every knife but at this point I can't justify keeping many of my knives because of non use.

My motto is use each knife be it a custom or production.

So I really think I am done collecting for the sake of collecting. I do have my eyes set on a few custom users that should hopefully last me a lifetime, but I really will be happy when I get rid of most knives and just keep the sentimental pieces and the hard users.

Are you a user or a collector and have you changed from one to the other and why.

take care
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

I honestly cannot find enough stuff to cut and when I do I go for the SS Harpy.. not the CF Harpy.. SS ATR and not the Ti.. I use the delicas and natives for dirty work.. So I guess I am more of a collector, I work in information tech... not a **** of a lot of stuff to cut..

I am a spyderco man first and foremost but for the sake of my economy I am trying to limit my collection to Seki pieces and branching out from spyderco a little bit. Looking for deals I cannot refuse and finding some in the brick and mortar shops.

There is just something about quality workmanship and pride in that workmanship that attracts me to spydies.. I think that over the years Americans have developed a Quantity over Quality mentality and I blame cheap imports and planned obsolescence.. that and the regular dumbing down across the board and the "everything all the time" marketing schlock..

spyder spyder spyder spyder
Levi

Post by Levi »

I either use all the knives I have, or they're special to me in some other way. I can't imagine ever buying a knife for it just to sit in a drawer, but I can understand those that do; I've collected a lot less useful things in the past :p
j3jymann

Post by j3jymann »

I'm proud to say I'm a user, I do not, and have never owned a knife that I did not use. Nothing wrong with collecting, I feel it's a waste of a knife but some people enjoy it, and it sure is more interesting than.... stamps or something.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

User, I just don't have the money to collect knives.
I do have a couple of nice ones though.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Slick

Post by Slick »

I am a knife user who has too many knives to regularly use them all. I have little interest in being a collector for the sake of collecting. I do have favorites that see regular pocket time but too many just stay in their boxes. Knives are fun to use but not as interesting to collect. I do have some non-user collectables I'll keep but I plan on thinning the herd of my seldom-used knives.

The kicker is my doctor has just put me on blood thinners and my knife hobby worries him. Quote "do you ever cut yourself"? The answer is "of course". I'll be an extra good bleeder from now on so I'll have to be more careful. Maybe New Graham Pharmacy could skip the Band-aids and throw a tourniquet in with my orders.

I'll keep all my users stupid sharp so any cuts will be extra fine. I've read that a fine shallow cut will still clot up ok even when on Coumadin. A rough or deep cut depends on a different clotting process that the Coumadin interferes with.

On the cutting edge clotting of science... that's me!
Not really all that slick ;)
drf

Post by drf »

I started collecting about a year ago. It started innocently enough by trying to find a new edc. 25+ spydies later I suppose I have become a collector. Most of my spydies I carry at some time or another. My edc rotation consists of a few delicas, a salt 1, a tasman, a spyderhawk, and a stretch 2. I only carry one at a time so some in the collection sadly never find pocket time. It is probably for the best though- I would hate to have to find a replacemnt for a few of the hard to find knives in my collection.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

I don't want to be materialistic and this is the only facet in my life in which I have way to many things and I really do not need so many.

Then I start thinking about how one of these knives that I don't use can feed a child in another country for a couple of months.

I most likely will get rid of most and just buy knives which will be used, and by that I mean knives that will last and be at the top of their game.

aj
Live in every breath

thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Buzzbait coined a term to describe the middle ground: Accumulator.

Accumulators buy some knives with the intention of using them all the time and then end up with a huge rotation of slightly used knives and sometimes they buy knives that would be great collector piece if only the accumulator hadn't broken down and used them.

That's what I are. :o Well, hopefully, P'Kal and Superhawk I have on order from SpydercoVT will change all that! :D
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Davis61381

Post by Davis61381 »

thombrogan wrote:Buzzbait coined a term to describe the middle ground: Accumulator.

Accumulators buy some knives with the intention of using them all the time and then end up with a huge rotation of slightly used knives and sometimes they buy knives that would be great collector piece if only the accumulator hadn't broken down and used them.

That's what I are. :o Well, hopefully, P'Kal and Superhawk I have on order from SpydercoVT will change all that! :D
Yup, that's me too. Given my knife 'collection' is only about 9 deep, all have been used, some more than others. EDC about 3 of them in rotation. Only one knife on my person at a time. I work as a AutoCad Operator, not much need for multiple knives.
-davis
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

I don't have that much many knives. So I can just rotate them in usage... That's the bonus having few knives... (sourgraping) hehehehe
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

Accumulator.

Sounds about right to me.
I use most of them but a few are just to nice.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am proud owner of 40 Spydercos and consider myself a user.
Only four of my knives are not used, they are backups.
Five of my favorite knives, the best users IMHO, I use to cut various staff, which I need to cut in my life.
This leaving 31 piece which I use to please my eyes, :) :) :)
they are in display cases well above my desk.

aj1985 wrote: Most now just sit in my drawer in their boxes, because I have a lot of little kids coming in my house.
It is safe, so little kids coming in my house will not reach them. May be it will work for you as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

I like to have knives that are users. I feel weird if I have a knife that doesn't get used much. I can see myself having a few special knives for the sake of collection, but my focus is definitely on trying various different knives in order to find & keep my favorites and then sell or trade the others.

Right now I have decided on some favorites and determined that I need to unload a few knives that don't work as well for me, so the collection will be shrinking a little.

I think I am most happy picking a few favorites, and using them like crazy.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

enyong112 wrote:I don't have that much many knives. So I can just rotate them in usage... That's the bonus having few knives... (sourgraping) hehehehe
Hopefully your collection will grow in time. At least by a P'Kal or Delica4 Wave.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

You guys are all hilarious

Firstly most kids are at an age "Hey thats cool can i see that :D " so i just try to keep the knives out of sight.

In all honesty a cricket in one hand and a delica wave in the other can pretty much accomplish any task there is. (Utility, Food Prep, SD)

Plus there are actually times where it takes me a few minutes of actually thought and holding knives in my hand to figure out what I should carry for the day
. :D
I never thought it would take so much time just picking a knife to use.
Live in every breath

Chucula

Post by Chucula »

User only. I did collect for a short time, but one day I was looking in a box full of spyderco's I planned never to use and realized how ridiculous it is to collect things. I am down to two folding knives--spyderco military D2 and crk sebenza
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

thombrogan wrote:Hopefully your collection will grow in time. At least by a P'Kal or Delica4 Wave.
Hopefully in due time... I'm still searching for a Dodo... after that maybe I'll probably get the P'kal... :D

Finances, logistics, and practicality is what i really consider when buying the knives, I make sure I'll be able to use the knife and break it in... after that I buy a new one if the finances and logistics will allow me... :)
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
Tank

Post by Tank »

I wont buy a knife unless I plan to use it. One of the reasons my wife doesn't mind me buying knifes is the fact that I will use them all at one point or another. Granted some get used much more than others but they all get pocket time.
-John
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

enyong112 wrote:Hopefully in due time... I'm still searching for a Dodo... after that maybe I'll probably get the P'kal... :D

Finances, logistics, and practicality is what i really consider when buying the knives, I make sure I'll be able to use the knife and break it in... after that I buy a new one if the finances and logistics will allow me... :)
See if if you had said something before I could have left a DODO for yah. :D I just got some coming from australia.

So start putting your wanted Spydies In your sig eh :p

take care
aj
Live in every breath