Collectors VS Users

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

aj1985 wrote:See if if you had said something before I could have left a DODO for yah. :D I just got some coming from australia.

So start putting your wanted Spydies In your sig eh :p

take care
aj
Oh mann... :D too late for that eh?? but did exactly what you advised... now i have a wish list... :) all it needs is someone to hook me up... :D
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thombrogan wrote:Buzzbait coined a term to describe the middle ground: Accumulator.

Accumulators buy some knives with the intention of using them all the time and then end up with a huge rotation of slightly used knives and sometimes they buy knives that would be great collector piece if only the accumulator hadn't broken down and used them.

That's what I are. :o Well, hopefully, P'Kal and Superhawk I have on order from SpydercoVT will change all that! :D
I've gotta admit I belong to this Accumulator category :p
maybe even a pseudo collector.....b/c I have some "safe queens" by now ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

enyong112 wrote:Oh mann... :D too late for that eh?? but did exactly what you advised... now i have a wish list... :) all it needs is someone to hook me up... :D
Man it's like everyone wants a DODO. :eek:

So another Sprint run :D would be the best solution
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

jaislandboy wrote:I've gotta admit I belong to this Accumulator category :p
maybe even a pseudo collector.....b/c I have some "safe queens" by now ;)
cmon just say your a collector. :D
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

aj1985, keep them all! What I notice is that after a time, knives I stopped using suddenly become favorites again. It seems to go in cycles. Also, you'll kick yourself in the buttocks later on if you get rid of something nice ( usually - it's nice to give a knife away and promote it's use :spyder: :) ). Keep them and enjoy them - even if you just look at and play with them. My opinion - :) .

- best wishes, Jazz.
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

When I started, I collected Case Whittlers. A lot of em'. My interests changed, found out that knives are not a good investment. So I bought what I liked. A lot of those too. Now I look at all of them and say to myself, now which ones would I actually use? I have recently sold off a few of my collection but there are still some that I know I won't use but I just cannot part with them. Then of of course there's those "Natives"! I ain't parting with those (20) either, even though there are a bunch of em' that I would not use. Basically thinnin' out the herd and limiting myself to just a couple of additions this year.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'm a user/collector/accumulator. Guilty on all counts. I use every Spydie I own, except my Q. It was my second Spydie ever and its "Retired." Some see more use than others, but I try to rotate through them all.

I have a somewhat sizable collection of older slip-joints. Mostly Schrades, they are not used- just polished, kept and ogled from time to time. Most of them were however used by some one else at some point.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I do have a few "knives" that I bought just for display. They are just decorations, and I don't consider them real knives. I have some that I didn't intend to use, mostly from buying multiple knife lots on eBay to get the one I wanted. And I have a few hundred that have at least been used to see if I liked them, some nearly used up now.

Accumulator covers it nicely.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

User at the moment. I only have one knife that I don't use, a Green PE LUM. The rest get used, loaned out, scratched up, sharpened and cleaned. I think as my knife budget increases I want to get mostly users, with a few collector pieces (the Schempp colabs, each one of the Lum Chinese folders) other than that I just enjoy using them.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I would say I'm a collector I carry, and use all my Spyders, but some see more use, than others :spyder: I use my Ti-Atr's very discretely, scinse I found out what they go for now :eek: :eek: My Millie sees little pocket time, because it is so big, and not legal where I am :rolleyes: My E, and D3&4's, and my Natives, and one of my D'allara's are my beaters :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

I use all of my knives. I buy collector knives when I know I can make money on them. Like the blue zdp delicas. I bought 2 of them, used one, sold the other for enough to pay for the first one, then I traded it for knives I liked more. I put it on ebay starting off at a penny, let the market set the price.
Michael Bolton

Post by Michael Bolton »

I would say that I am starting to collect, very casually (am collecting Spydies that I think are unique and beautiful designs) but also think that it would be a waste to not have them see pocket time. Some are already seeing more pocket time than others, I love my Yo and Chinook and Lava and plan on using them as my EDCs for a very long time. I think that as Spydies appreciate in value, it just makes the object cooler and makes me happier to own it. The only way I would get rid of a Spydie at this point is to give it as a gift. I don't see much point in making an extra hundred bucks from a Spydie as I know that I would regret it somewhere down the line, especially if I did something lame with the extra cash like buy some beers or something like that. For me, Spydies are like pocket jewelry and I look forward to one day passing select ones on to friends and family members who can enjoy them.
:spyder: Fred Perrin Street Beat, Blue Yojimbo, Black Yojimbo, Chinook III, Lava (x2), Delica

For 2008: Rocklobster, Rookie, Phoenix, Barong, Khukuri, Lum Chinese folder, Urban
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

I am a collector and user,

I have more knives than i will ever need (probably around 200 spydies, and probably about another 100/150 other makes)

I also make knives.

But i still cant stop myself buying more. I dont know what it is but i will say "well thats it no more knives" and ten minutes later i have just placed an order for another coouple.

Obsesive compulsive... I think thats the term used
"So many knives, so little pockets"
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

thombrogan wrote:Buzzbait coined a term to describe the middle ground: Accumulator.

Accumulators buy some knives with the intention of using them all the time and then end up with a huge rotation of slightly used knives and sometimes they buy knives that would be great collector piece if only the accumulator hadn't broken down and used them.

That's what I are. :o Well, hopefully, P'Kal and Superhawk I have on order from SpydercoVT will change all that! :D
Another accumulator here! :D I do reach into the cabinet to give some of the retirees a little workout though.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Mr Blonde wrote:Another accumulator here! :D I do reach into the cabinet to give some of the retirees a little workout though.

Wouter
DITTO over here ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
whkento

Post by whkento »

I s'pose i'm a small-time accumulator, though I've got a few which are too pretty/rare to ever use.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Collector here, can't carry some of the cooler stuff
dete

Post by dete »

definitely a user here...

I find that if I do collect, if I don't do it with
careful moderation, I'm actually very unhappy
even though my showcase is rather awesome :o
ducktaper

Post by ducktaper »

I'm a collector of sorts. I thoroughly enjoy the 'search' part of collecting. Since I travel quite a bit, which gets old real quick, having taken up 'searching' has added some enjoyment to my journeys. I search for those long discontinued gems that are so unique; I check out the pawnshops, little ma & pa gunshops, etc. I get to mingle and chat with the locals. Often times though I'll pick-up older Spyderco stuff that isn't a 'prize' for collectors, but might be being sold for the original 1990's price. It's hard not to jump on it, and it allows me to have an EDC rotation that is a bit different & fun. Some favorites are the Renegade and the Blackhawk, for instance. I enjoy the hunt, then I enjoy the designs at home where they are on display for me in my "den".
But my real motivation is to gather up some beauties for the kids, so they can enjoy old-world craftsmanship & design. If some Spydies made just 15 years ago are hard to find now, imagine what it'll be like for our kids later on! And who knows, but someday they may be able to parlay their inheritance into a brand new 2035 model Spyderco lazer-bladed Native with polished Mars lava scales.
Bolster

Stocker.

Post by Bolster »

I'm a "stocker."

I keep a stock of favorite knives for the day I lose the one I'm carrying. So I have multiple Calys, Persians, Manix'es, & Yojimbos. I don't have two Stretch'es yet so I can't carry the one I have.

If it makes it into the weekly rotation, there's a backup sitting on the shelf.

Just had to break out a backup of a CF Caly III, as I recently lost my user. (Ouch.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189