Favourite & Most Useful Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
telemeister

Favourite & Most Useful Spydie

Post by telemeister »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and have only recently discovered Spyderco. I just wanted to know what everyone's favourite knife is and what their most useful knife is. I have found they are not necessarily the same. I do a lot of volunteer emergency work (mainly storm damage recovery etc.) and have found that I always use my Endura with the Spyderedge, but my favourite to look at, hold and use is my Centofante III.

Here's a pic of my small collection:

Also, if there is anyone living in Australia, can you let me know where you get your Spydies from. My source only has a limited selection.

Thanks guys, I'm sure your responses will help me decide on which spydie to buy next (I think I want a Caly III, but haven't seen one downunder!).
Attachments
P2100011.JPG
P2100011.JPG (52.29 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

G'day Telemeister,

Lot's of Aussie collectors and users. If you wish to have a 'chat', feel free to email me at ozspyder@gmail.com instead of using PM (cos it's too limited and nearly always 100% full !)

Very nice collection you have for a new discoverer of the Spyder. I am fairly new to it as well. It has been only 14 mths or since I was first bitten. Started off with a Ladybug SE, then..... hmmm.... well, just go check out my Picture Thread :D :p

My favourite to look at and fondle would be the Kopa (all variants), closely followed by Shabaria and Lum Chinese. And pretty much all the curvy ones.

Favourite to use at the moment is a toss-up between the Mini Persian and the Caly 3 G10.

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, Telemeister! Nice collection you've got started. I say that because you will get more :D My favorite? A tough choice, but I'll say Delica 4 FRN - perfect all around knife. Most useful? They all are, but my most used is my Rescue 79mm - I'm a cook and open tons of boxes and packages - serrated edges eat up cardboard.

- best wishes, Jazz.
drf

Post by drf »

I guess my favorite to use would have to be my Stretch 2. It is amazingly sharp. My favorite to play with are the same as Daniel's actually. I love to play with my green lum chinese- though I only have one black quince kopa to play with- not the great collection he has.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Hey! You've got a Meerkat hiding in that little pile! One of my discontinued favorites that is somewhat hard to find. Welcome, and nice collection you have started there.

-Jay
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

welcome to the forums telemeister...... I can't really answer your question w/one or two Clipits....it's really whatever I have on my person, so today it's a black UKPK ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Endura, stretch 2, Caly 3, Caly jr., Millie, Lil temp, etc. The first 4 in ZDP, the millie in BG42 or S90V. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Michael Cook

The world needs a Yojimbo Trainer

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: My favorite is the Yojimbo. My most useful would probably be the Yojimbo, should I ever need to use my Yojimbo. I've never needed to use my Yojimbo. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

Welcome Telemaster!

If you want a knife for tough jobs and you want a slightly smaller size as your endura you might look at a Native. Or smaller Delica.
More expensive a Para-Military.( I am holding this one of till the foliage green G 10 Cpm D2 one comes out).

Approx same size as Endura ; Military.

Discontinued but still available Mini-Manix or Manix.( A bit to bulky to my personal liking.)

Absolute Rustproof H1 Salt line fe Pacific Salt or Salt 1

The great thing about Spyderco is they come in all kind of flavours: different fokes different strokes. :D

I have a Caly 3 VG 10 flatgrind Pe since last week. Very nice Delica Size. Somewhat more refined as the Delica imho. Excellent allround edc.

:cool:
Maarten
member of FFG Club
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have to say that I really like a large blade (Endura size is pretty good), but I also like my Meerkat. I think the blade on the Meerkat is a great size relative to the knife as a whole. Here are a couple more photos of it.
Attachments
Meerkat 2.jpg
Meerkat 2.jpg (62.41 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Meerkat 1.jpg
Meerkat 1.jpg (54.02 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Welcome to another one of us from Down Under, and that's a very nice start there.

I'd have to go with my Mini Persian or my Kris at the moment, bit of a toss up between the two. PM inbound about sources.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Favorite overall (if I could have just one Spydie) - Para-Millie
Favorite for EDC - VG10 Caly 3
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
Manix Guy 2

Welcome

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Happy to meet you . For me most useful would be my C44 Dyad . MG2
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Welcome aboard. My utility knife or edc cutter as of now is the adventura(Thanks Raven!) My favorite Spyders, oh boy.............let's see, start point, the waved endura, the Yojimbo(Doc! :D ) The Chinook III, refined monster of a folder! :eek: and the P'kal. Hey I tried to blanket the MBC in me, but it just leaked out. ;) Take care and enjoy yourself and in Spydercity!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Welcome to the forum Telemaster.
Endura and Cento3 is the nice start for :spyder: .
My favorites are: C-83 Persian and G10/Vg10 Caly3.
I consider that the most useful is Caly3. But the most used is R2 because after year and a half of carry and use still baby Caly3 :o
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Billy

Post by Billy »

Welcome Telemeister!

My most useful knife (and the one I use the most) is some variation of the Military (my current favorite is the CF BG-42 version).

My favorite knife to just hold and play with...hmmm, I would say it's a toss up between my Dodo, Yojimbo and Chinook III. Oh yeah, and the above-mentioned Military in CF and BG-42. :D :D All these knives just "feel good" in the hand and have a high "fidget factor" for me, especially the Dodo with the ball lock and incredibly ergonomic handle.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

You're absolutely right about favorite not always being the same as most used.

My favorite Spydie is probably my Caly3 (though now that I have a Dodo, it's a tough call), but my most used is most definitely my SE Tasman; probably because I bought it as a beater, so I push it to it's limits and it keeps coming back for more. :D
Back from an extended hiatus.
Jeff Tanner

Post by Jeff Tanner »

Most useful and favorite...the D'Allara Drop Point. Best working folder I've ever had the pleasure to use. I have fairly large hands, and what's more, I have long fingers as well. Always had problems finding a working folder that properly fit my hand, and was comfortable and safe enough for a heavy user. I took a chance and ordered the D'Allara without first handling it. When it arrived in the mail, and I held it in my hand for the first time I was absolutely over joyed.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I find pretty much any blade with a bit of a belly and a point to generally be the most useful. Examples I own include; Persian, Volpe, Native, Caly Jr, Raven, Crow. I also find that a thin (or even thick) flat ground blade to be more useful as it's SO much easier to slice things like fruit with. Hollow ground blades just tend to bind up in those situations.

As much as I like hawkbills, reverse-s blades, warncliffs, or even the Captain, the "Classic" blade shape of a belly with a point just is the most versatile. Hawkbills though are far far more useful when cutting roap or boxes or anything you're pull cutting. I really don't do that kind of cutting much these days.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
GeorgeMaggos

Welcome!

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

Hey Telemeister,

welcome to the forum & nice start to your collection :)

My current favorite & most useful :spyder: is the one in my pocket a plain edged blue handled C80 - Dodo I really like this knife.

I love that MeerKat you got I have it in a couple of variations & the book it is resting on in the photos the Ashley Book Of Knots is awesome!

I have that book as well & on CD in pdf so it is on all my computers I wish I could tie some of those knots :o

I cant help you with finding some one near you in Austraila I am sure more guys from down under will read this & hook you up.

Good luck with your :spyder: collection & keep shooting photos of it to share with us here I can look at Spydie pics all day long :D

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]