Spyderpac as storage option?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Agent Starling

Spyderpac as storage option?

Post by Agent Starling »

What do you guys think of using the Spyderpac or something like it as a short-term storage solution for your user knives?

I'm getting a little frustrated with keeping my users in their boxes which are in a rubbermaid which is in a locked cabinet. I like to see all of a particular kind of knife, to decide if that will be the carry of the day.

Is it OK for users to be left in a Spyderpac, to leave them out like that? I always thought it is better for a knife to be in a plastic baggie inside its box.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Agent Starling :cool:

PS...No, I didn't use the Search function on this topic. :eek: Yes, I know it's there :) ...however, in this instance I want to know what the *current* Spyder-heads are doing & thinking :) ...it's much more fun that way, and please, always remember fun! ;) :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Here is what I think Agent Starling:

I have a second Spyderpac about half-filled. It is my goal to fill 3 Spyderpacs at which time I will have acquired all the Spydies I am looking for and will retire from Spyderco collecting. Until then, the search continues...

Take care,

-Jay
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I was going to try a Spyderpack but could not ever find one.
I was going to hang it on the door of my safe and free up a whole shelf
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

Try New Graham. I just checked and they're sold out of the 16 pack but have two of the 32 packs for $32 each. I bought the 16 pack and like it a lot. The Spyderco logo stitched on the front looks awesome and the carry handle (detachable) make it easy to carry around. I keep all my EDCs in mine whereas there rest remain boxed in my collection.
bma

Post by bma »

Agent Starling wrote:What do you guys think of using the Spyderpac or something like it as a short-term storage solution for your user knives?

I'm getting a little frustrated with keeping my users in their boxes which are in a rubbermaid which is in a locked cabinet. I like to see all of a particular kind of knife, to decide if that will be the carry of the day.

Is it OK for users to be left in a Spyderpac, to leave them out like that? I always thought it is better for a knife to be in a plastic baggie inside its box.
I use a small Spyderpac for all my knives (Spyderco and not...). No ill effects on any knives since last April when I got it. IIRC Spyderco uses them to transport knives to shows as well; I'm sure they're good. :)
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

They're great for storing your knives. I have the SP1 (32 pocket) and it's filled. You can hang it on a wall opened to access all of the knives or fold it up and close it then hang it in a closet out of the way. I love it. I have to get another one just for my Natives. :D
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

I love them. I have the big one, hanging on the back of the door that goes to my basement from my kitchen. This is an older pic (there are nothing but Spydercos in it now). And I think they are considerably cheaper than they were just a year ago.

Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

bma wrote:I use a small Spyderpac for all my knives (Spyderco and not...). No ill effects on any knives since last April when I got it. IIRC Spyderco uses them to transport knives to shows as well; I'm sure they're good. :)
I have no doubt as to their quality...it is Spyderco, after all! :D

It's great to hear so many used it, and their knives did not spontaneously combust or anything...OK so now the Spyderpac joins the must-have-soon list! :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Agent Starling
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Storage of users is the reason I got a Spyderpac! :cool:
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

excellent storage option.... and as HarryWhite mentioned.... the prices have decreased significantly from a year ago .... I have a couple of the large Spyderpacs....they accomodate most clipits which tend to have a wider profile (due to the beloved :spyder: -hole) than other type folders with thumbstuds, for instance.
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Tank

Post by Tank »

I use a spyderpac for my users as well, I keep in hung in the side wall of the closet works great and havent had any issues now in the two years I have been using it.
-John
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Jay_Ev wrote:I have a second Spyderpac about half-filled. It is my goal to fill 3 Spyderpacs at which time I will have acquired all the Spydies I am looking for and will retire from Spyderco collecting. Until then, the search continues...
Come on now, Jay...

You've been here long enough to know that it doesn't work like that. By the time you "complete" your collection, there will have been plenty more knives released that you just need to have. :p
Back from an extended hiatus.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Agent Starling, The biggest thing with knives, and with guns as well is to not leave anything corrosive, such as fingerprints on the blade. Other than that, a normal closet is fine and the knives or firearms won't know the difference.

Make sure there is no stored bleach or anything in the area, and it's not really humid. The spyderpack sure would make picking daily carry knives a lot easier.

The problem begins when you get into the hundreds of knives. Then it's back to the rubbermaid or tackle boxes like I do for the ones least used. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

I do not have a spyderpac currently and may get one in the future. I think the only reason I may not one buy is, because then I will buy more Spydies to fill the empty slots :D because the spyderpac just wouldn't look right.
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I just got one, and I'm very impressed with the quality. I plan to hang it (open) in the closet, to make it easier to pick which knife to carry daily. Knives that I carry to work will probably be left on a shelf with my wallet, just for routine convenience. I think you would love the Spyderpac, Starling.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I use a 16-piece Spyderpac for all the knives that are in my carry rotation. It hangs next to my shirts in my closet, so I don't have to walk into another room to get 'fully dressed'. :D

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

aj1985 wrote:I do not have a spyderpac currently and may get one in the future. I think the only reason I may not one buy is, because then I will buy more Spydies to fill the empty slots :D because the spyderpac just wouldn't look right.
You have a valid point there. The Spyderpacs don't look right unless ALL of the pockets are filled up. I just ordered another one to put only my Natives in. :D
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Agent Starling

1 large spyderpac en route...

Post by Agent Starling »

I ordered one today, hooray! See what you all made me do?
And I'm so glad! :D

Agent Starling
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Yay! Spyderpac came today!