Spyderco fixed blade on CSI New York...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chrismico

Spyderco fixed blade on CSI New York...

Post by Chrismico »

Looking at tape of last nights CSI New York and recognized the potential murder weapon as a fixed blade Spyderco. Just got my first Spyderco Military about a week ago and know now that there are many more destined to be brought into the fold, including the fixed blade models. Have not been involved long enough to identify the model seen on CSI, but the immediate recognition that it was a Spyderco was something that would not have happened for me even a few months ago. At first thought it looked like a fixed blade police, but that is most likely incorrect. Anyone else see it and know what it was?
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

check out Ted's site and see if you can figure it out..i dont wach csi so i cant help ya.
http://www.spydie.nl/

oh and welcome to the board.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Maybe the Perrin?
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

I have seen a Perrin fixed Military with finger recoils on the handle a while ago.

I love that one ;)
Maarten
member of FFG Club
Chrismico

Post by Chrismico »

Thanks for the link and the welcome. It's good to be here. Been reading and getting a good education with regard to the Spyderco brand. It's refreshing to see so many posts from Sal Glesser too with answers to questions from the users of his products.

Ok...so after looking at Teds page, nothing seems to be an exact match, but maybe a Delica or Police might be the model if they were made with a fixed blade. Did not say Police on the blade though. It was a fixed blade Spyder edge with stainless handle. Prob take someone with more expertise to make a positive id.

Turned out it was not the murder weapon after all, but was used by a perp to self inflict wounds in order to stage a crime scene. Then the perp gets randomly murdered by drowning as the result of a twist in the plot, by a totally unrelated criminal act.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Editted

I was wrong when I said I was virtually positive it was the stainless steel Police model.

The blade is Endura shape and as SoCal Operator says below, it looks like it's been modified to make it "actor-safe"

A prop knife made from an Endura? AFAIK Spyderco has never made a fixed blade that looked like that
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
deeker

Post by deeker »

SS PE Police, I believe.
Chrismico

Post by Chrismico »

4 s ter wrote:I'm virtually positive it was the stainless steel Police model - a folder, not a fixed blade.
It's possible....got it on tape and they showed it pretty clearly from several angles. Hit slowmo and pause and looked hard for the lock back and the gap in the handle to accept the blade on a folder and saw neither. Wasn't designated Police on side of blade either.
markg

Post by markg »

Was it the episode where the the female (forget her name) was being assaulted in her apartment?

If it was, it was a SE Police model.
Chrismico

Post by Chrismico »

Nah it was a new episode; it was where the female victim was drowned in one of those new self cleaning pay toilets on the New York sidewalk. I had seen a news report about those before but don't know if they are really being used there now.

The other crime was a guy burned alive while riding a street luge. Wheels tossed gas and oil residue floated from the street by a light rain onto the rider. Then he went so fast that the wheels got hot enough to ignite the accelerant. Accidental death by street luge.

Sounds like the makers of CSI like Spyderco products if they have been used before in a previous episode too.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I'm not sure what it is. It looks like a SS Spyderedge Endura II with the clip removed and serrations ground off, but there is no lockbar, it looks full tang, and the scale looks funny. You can see the Spyderco stampings though. Odd....I want one :D :D

You can go to the CBS CSI:NY page to see the episode, it is in the first part, then again later on.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

'nother good shot of it.

Chrismico

Post by Chrismico »

Amazing! Was wondering how to get those pictures from the television to post online. Didn't think of that, but prob wouldn't have been able to do it even if I had. Good job!

Now for a positive id on this knife that looks to be a bit different from standard production models.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

It's probably a production model which has been modified to make it actor-safe. The serrations look ground down and I wouldn't be surprised if they made it fixed so it couldn't close on anyone.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Chrismico

Post by Chrismico »

Prob is. Was hoping there might be more to it than just a production knife modified to make it actor safe. Like maybe a preproduction prototype, or custom one off knife provided at the request of a big budget tv show, where cost is no object.

Read a story about some Mad Dog knives that were ordered for Steven Segal to use in one of his movies. Something like seven knives I think. The knives were sent razor sharp. The props people returned them to Mad Dog to have them dulled. Segal found out and sent them back to have the razor sharp edges put back on again, lol.
Senate

Post by Senate »

feel free to post in this thread guys! :)

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14767
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Done ;)

deeker

Post by deeker »

Time for me to get a fancy new HDTV - so I can properly ID all of the gear used in the shows. That ought to fly with my wife!!