Tasman Salt Serrated Garden Use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MANIXWORLD

Tasman Salt Serrated Garden Use?

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I like using a knife when doing a bit of gardening,clearing brushes,weeds,long grass,clipping small branches.
I have been using my D4 serrated for the specific task at hand,but my Salt1 serrated takes on other less abusive cuttingtasks a serrated blade asks for.
So i was thinking that,a Tasman serrated can do absolute wonders for garden maintenance,hence the hawkbill blade,for pullcuts on small roots,weeds and tall grass.
any opinions,if you have used a Tasman,for this specific task at hand.
I have no experience with hawkbill blades,but i think it could do wonders in the garden.
foxquads

Sounds like a good idea...

Post by foxquads »

...I've been thinking that I need to get a serrated Tasman Salt too; I remember years ago - I had a Case hawkbill - just recently had a flashback how handy it used to be when I was using my Harpy....
OOOOOH! ...So many Spydies / So many choices!!! :eek:
LOL!
I think I shall order a serrated Tasman Salt today...
another :spyder:
:D
Louis
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

I haven't used my SE Tasman (my constant companion :D ) for garden work yet, but it has handled everything else that I've thrown at it with no problems whatsoever.

I love that knife! :D
Back from an extended hiatus.
Manix Guy 2

Try It

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Hawkbills work great . Try the Tasman SE you will not regret it . Leatherman Hybred and Tasman make a great yard combo . MG2
Billy

Highly recommended for yard work/gardening!

Post by Billy »

Hey MW, when I'm doing yard work, I always have my PE and SE Tasmans on me. They are the perfect tools for this kind of work, especially the SE. I use mine for everything you mentioned and then some, and they both perform admirably. I especially like them because, living in South Florida, I end up drenched in sweat - no worries with the H1.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Sounds real nice.
No doubt,what my next Spydie will be.
My D4 serrated has been doing a great job,at use in the garden,sofar.
its so nice how the Spyderedge rips thru small branches and roots,grass etc.
I tend to do alot of pullcuts when i do the abovementioned,therefor a hawkbill blade,im thinking.
yes,i work up a sweat,down here in sunny South Africa,therefor a Tasman serrated-H1,for gardening etc.
this is what i realy love about the Salt knives,you can carry a knife and excercise,do watersports,do intensive work where you sweat alot,and the knife stays maintenance free.
They are so lite,you wont even feel a Salt,when clipped to your shorts,when going for a run.....favorite running watch,i pod shuffle,shades and a Salt Spydie, to accompany you on a run-sounds like the perfect running gear...mmm.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

I've had good luck with the Reverse S-Curved Meerkat SE and Atlantic Salt SE in the dirty outdoors, so I'd imagine the Tasman Salt SE would be great, too (just started EDC'ing it, but haven't done any gardening lately - Winter :mad: ). My Atlantic Salt SE did a lot of digging/prying in rocky and muddy soil and is still going strong.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

MANIXWORLD wrote:Sounds real nice.
No doubt,what my next Spydie will be.
My D4 serrated has been doing a great job,at use in the garden,sofar.
its so nice how the Spyderedge rips thru small branches and roots,grass etc.
I tend to do alot of pullcuts when i do the abovementioned,therefor a hawkbill blade,im thinking.
yes,i work up a sweat,down here in sunny South Africa,therefor a Tasman serrated-H1,for gardening etc.
this is what i realy love about the Salt knives,you can carry a knife and excercise,do watersports,do intensive work where you sweat alot,and the knife stays maintenance free.
They are so lite,you wont even feel a Salt,when clipped to your shorts,when going for a run.....favorite running watch,i pod shuffle,shades and a Salt Spydie, to accompany you on a run-sounds like the perfect running gear...mmm.
Me too Manixworld... and with the Rc being over 60 at the edge, it's like my holygrail of steels.... only thing i might want changed is to make the finish less "satiny" / polished so that it hides scratches better (maybe beadblasted?) :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Billy

Post by Billy »

Oh yeah, MW, all my above comments are disclaimed by the fact that your knife WILL get scratched up if you use it for this kind of work. I kinda like that battle-scarred look though. :cool:
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mattress

Post by Mattress »

MANIXWORLD wrote:....favorite running watch,i pod shuffle,shades and a Salt Spydie, to accompany you on a run-sounds like the perfect running gear...
Please tell me you also have a pair of shorts....

:eek:
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Mattress wrote:Please tell me you also have a pair of shorts....

for REAL bro..shouldn't forget those:-)
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Mattress wrote:Please tell me you also have a pair of shorts....

jaislandboy wrote:Me too Manixworld... and with the Rc being over 60 at the edge, it's like my holygrail of steels.... only thing i might want changed is to make the finish less "satiny" / polished so that it hides scratches better (maybe beadblasted?) :)
Beadblasted sounds perfect,i can already see H1 taking this finish on.
I love the deeper serrations on my Salt1,compared to my serrated D4.
hawkbill

Post by hawkbill »

I have used my Tasman SE & PE for lots of tough jobs, and they are get through each task well. Minor scuffs on the blades are "character" in my view...
Garden chores are what hawkbills (aka pruners) live for.
I am what I am, and that's all that I am. Popeye
eljay

Post by eljay »

That's what I use mine for. It does get really scratched up but who cares, it's a gardening knife. Just sails through things like ivy though.