Old Friend

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mattress

Old Friend

Post by Mattress »

Meet a friend of mine...

[ATTACH]10207[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10208[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10209[/ATTACH]

I bought this :spyder: FRN Rescue in 1996 for around £45. As you can see it's had a hard life: I instruct mountaineering and kayaking for a living and am a member of a local cave rescue team.

The knife often lives in my PFD pocket or is clipped to a climbing harness. It dreams of the sheltered, humidity controlled cases I know some of you guys have for your collections! ;)

The Boye indent on the lock I added with a Dremel after releasing the lock accidentally a few years back.

Anyway, an Atlantic Salt is in the post, but this old girl is not retiring quite yet.

However, I have a problem: The knife has got stiff. :( I can't Spydie-drop it anymore, indeed it's an effort to open one-handed. It seems worse when it's warm for some reason. The sharp-eyed will notice that the scales have marked the base of the blade. Has it been squashed and the scales are squeezing the pivot. Being of a pin construction I can't see adjust it or see inside. I've tried soaking in lube etc but with no effect.

Can anyone tell me if the factory would be willing to have a look for me?
Attachments
spydie03.JPG
spydie03.JPG (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
spydie02.JPG
spydie02.JPG (28.76 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
spydie01.JPG
spydie01.JPG (29.71 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

Nice knife, Mattress. :spyder:

Here is a link to the Spyderco warranty page - it says they will fix a knife with stiff action for $20 + $5 shipping and handling. I would say it is worth it to have them take a look if you can't seem to figure it out. The knife has been working for you for over 10 years - might at well try to get another 10! :D :
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10

Maybe others will have some suggestions for loosening the action yourself?
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
Mattress

New friend...:)

Post by Mattress »

[ATTACH]10249[/ATTACH]

The Salt has come so the Rescue has got out it's passport and will be taking a trip to Golden for some well earned therapy!

The Salt has done light gardening duty today and works nicely. Looking forward to work hardening it!

I prefer the longer, slender more graceful blade of the original but like the newer knife's jimped choil.
Attachments
spydie01.JPG
spydie01.JPG (26.77 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

The folks at Golden will take good care of your knife; and while it's away, your Atlantic will take good care of you! :D

Just don't let your Rescue get jealous, or it might give you a little love bite to remind you who's been around for you for over a decade! :eek:
Back from an extended hiatus.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Left Hand Path wrote:Nice knife, Mattress. :spyder:

Here is a link to the Spyderco warranty page - it says they will fix a knife with stiff action for $20 + $5 shipping and handling. I would say it is worth it to have them take a look if you can't seem to figure it out. The knife has been working for you for over 10 years - might at well try to get another 10! :D :
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10

Maybe others will have some suggestions for loosening the action yourself?
You might not even need to pay the $20.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Mattress

Post by Mattress »

Blackhair wrote: Just don't let your Rescue get jealous, or it might give you a little love bite to remind you who's been around for you for over a decade! :eek:
:) On the contrary, the Rescue will have soon be pampered: living in dry, warm pockets and rucsacs. The Salt, on the other hand, will be left neglected in my PFD getting cold, wet and dirty.

Is the phrase "Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen", a good advertising slogan for the Salt range?
swingshot

Post by swingshot »

That shipping charge may be more than $5 since you're in Cardiff. Best way to find out is to drop them a mail.

Post by 224477 »

My father has the same, 96 era Rescue, AUS8 steel, fully SE, molded FRN clip.. Its a nice classy spyderco, dont know why, but those 96-98 spyders still have their charm to me.
I was dreaming for years for a PE FRN Endura, AUS8 steel, molded FRN.
Later I got the CS Voyager, old CE tanto model with molded clip, and no matter how CS reputation is nowadays, the knife spent 6 yrs. of active EDC with me, often abused, now retired, but still strong as that time.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
droc217

Post by droc217 »

Crazy, the first Spyderco I ever owned was a '96 era rescue. I still regret trading it...
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

It's always a pleasure seeing a Spydie after years of dedicated and loyal use.

The boys and girls at Golden will make sure your friend is performing up to par again!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Looks great!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

swingshot wrote:That shipping charge may be more than $5 since you're in Cardiff. Best way to find out is to drop them a mail.
$5 should be enough. Living in Germany, I never paid more than that.

There rescue style knives are a strange bunch:
they don't look that great at the beginning, but once you have them a while, they have a way to cling to your pocket, it's amazing :)

My H1 Mariner is one of that kind. No original Rescue though, but close enough ;)

Dennis
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

my buddy has this same knife but in stainless steel with the slit in the side, its used to **** though.

dont know what steel markings are on it either?
Mattress

Post by Mattress »

Just an (overdue) update.

Golden worked their magic on the Rescue and didn't charge a cent. The two knives are peacefully co-habiting.

Thanks spyderco for excellent customer service. :spyder:
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Glad to hear your old friend is home again. Bet it's a great feeling. And, I'm glad the crew at Spyderco was able to get her working for you again.
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Mattress wrote:The knife often lives in my PFD pocket or is clipped to a climbing harness. It dreams of the sheltered, humidity controlled cases I know some of you guys have for your collections! ;)
I rather doubt that. It sounds like you've given it a wonderful knife-life. :)

Thanks for sharing this, I love seeing knives that have gotten some real use. Given your line of work, I'm sure many of us would be interested in hearing any stories you might have of the Rescue coming through for you, if you feel like sharing.

Murdoc wrote:There rescue style knives are a strange bunch:
they don't look that great at the beginning, but once you have them a while, they have a way to cling to your pocket, it's amazing :)
That's very true. I was always turned off by the appearance of rescue blades, but then my UK Rescue kind of fell into my hands and I immediately felt a connection to it, it's such a useful and practical design for many uses.