Choosing An EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dangerouscold

Post by dangerouscold »

Seems to me one needs 3 different folding EDC options.

One needs a cutter, a beast, and a "friendly" knife. Cutter being a daily use knife for deanimating mail etc. The beast is the folder you want to fall out of the sky when you crash on a desert island/in the woods. The "friendly" knife is for when you go to something formal, or for some workplaces.

I carry a military most now, but whenever I'm leaving the city I happily grab a manix. And my people friendly "spyderco" is a ss flight, 'cause it's pretty. Although I must admit, for really light carry I grab my wharcom. Love that little thing.

That being said, I'll never only have three knives in my collection. :D

DC
Current :spyder: 's:
PE Fullsize Manix
SE Tuffram/Al Civilian
PE CPM D2 Military
PE SS ATR
PE FRN Delica
PE FRN Dragonfly
PE SS Flight
Centofante 4
PE G10 Endura
Caly 3 ZDP
PE FFG FRN Delica
PE G10 Raven
G10 Dragonfly

Given away :spyder: 's:
CE FRN Endura 4
CE Aluminum Raven
PE G10 Cara Cara
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's where my line of thinking goes too. General cutting knife, heavy duty knife, and "Won't scare even the most Politically Correct person" knife.

Now, I only need to decide this:

To I buy a Foliage Green G10 UKPK and Endura, or...

Do I buy a CF Caly 3 and CF / S90V Military?

One of those two setups + my new microdyad is what I want for an EDC.
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

You sometimes feel like you are missing something when you carry only 2 Spydies.
What currently works for me is my E4Wave,D4plain,and Salt1 serrated and a SAK soldier and im geared up with EDC.
i would defenitely go towards an etched SS D/fly to complete the edc.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Personally I'd chose ( and I did) the stretch 2 for the larger knife, and the very light and small(ish) ZDP Caly jr ( same blade and slicing abilities as the Caly 3) as a second. Calr jr. still available for $66 to $68.

That's two ZDP knives which might turn some off. Not me though. I figure if I need something different, for a specialized purpose, I'll get it. In the mean time, these knives can cut!

I will be getting my S90V millie on Tuesday. I have all the others except for the ATS 34 model. The old 440V/S60V is still working. S90V isn't really new to me as I've had two Microtech Socom Elite sprint runs from 2005-2006 that have S90V blades for about a year and a half now. I'm looking for the steel in the much more ergonomic Spyderco millie.

Vivi, another option for you could be the Ti Salsa in ATS 34. It has a comp. lock and kind of fits the criteria for a small knife. It's very sturdy, but getting hard to find. It's a sleeper spyderco not many know about.

Just rambling. It's sort of obligatory for someone to say" just get them all" so I figure I'd get it out of the way. Good luck Vivi, Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Personally....I'd carry all of them....make things real simple....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
vivi

Post by vivi »

I appreciate the responses.

Some of the knives mentioned, like the Dragonfly and Salsa, I've owned at one point or another and decided they didn't work for me as well as others. The one knife I'm 100% positive I want to EDC is some sort of Caly, whether it's a ZDP/CF Caly 3 or FRN Calypso. For a large knife its a toss-up between the S90V Millie, Stretch 2 and G10 Endura. Right now I'm leaning towards the CF Caly 3 in ZDP and the S90V Millie because that would give me two new steels to experience. The stretch looks awfully nice though. OTOH the G10 Endura would have better corrosion resistence, which would be handy during warmer months, especially if carried IWB. I plan to buy an H1 folder for the summer days when I know I'm going to be very active (Currently use a coated CE Boker Trance for this knife role), but my every day setup needs to be resilient enough to corrosion for me not to be overly concerned about sweat. Which is why I ruled out the CPMD2 Military, as great as it is.

If someone could post a photo of the Stretch 2, Millie and Caly 3 / UKPK together (Or even just the Stretch and Millie) it would be most appreciated.

Sometimes I think I should follow Dr. Snubnose' advice. Would save me some time in the mornings deciding what to fill my pockets with. :D
R.S.R

Post by R.S.R »

Caly Jnr and a Military would be my suggestion.
Caly Jnr is a pocket scalpel and the Military is just awesome for EDC chores.
Razor

Post by Razor »

Day, Military. Night, Caly III. Sometimes, just the opposite. Depends where I am going!
kodeslinger

Post by kodeslinger »

I generally cycle between 5-6 Spydies/Byrds depending on my mood.

This week I've been trying the new Tenacious, and I'm liking it. Wore it all day today at work in Tip down, didn't notice it at all, very discreet and solid.

My "Go-to" knife is probably my black S30V military PE, my "beast" knife would probably be the Manix :D

My "nice" knife is probably the black serrated native in S30V, though it does not look "nice" at all haha.

Actually of all my spydies it looks the most aggressive, though the Manix does give it a run for it's money. (must remind myself to buy some more SEs)

I'm gonna try carrying the Byrd wings sometime this week to see if it's too clunky, because it's pretty versatile for 1 knife (okay technically 2).
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Vivi wrote:Image

Right now I'm leaning towards the microdyad and a Caly 3 for my EDC setup.
great photo Vivi :cool:
here's a link to a good comparison photo by TheDeacon (post #10) showing the Military/Stretch2/Caly3 relative sizes:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... ht=Stretch
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: First off, Welcome to Spyderforums :cool: As for edc setup, I would go with a Poliwog for a small carry, and a mini Manix, Stretch2, D'allara, E4, or Ti, or Ss Atr :D But, then again, I rarely leave home w/o a H1 :cool:
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
vivi

Re: Choosing An EDC

Post by vivi »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:28 am
In the past two years, my EDC setup has varied tremendously. Lately it's been showing more consistency in that I can actually keep the same knife in my pocket for more than a week. I'm interested in deciding on a "default" setup that will be my EDC unless I expect the need for something else.

I've decided on a setup like The Deacons (Kiwi and Stretch 2) and may in fact go with those two knives. Something small and precise for small knife jobs or environments where large knives draw negative attention, as well as a full-sized knife with a blade between 3 and 4 inches and a strong, reliable lock. For steels, the focus for the small knife is for extremely acute edge angles with a highly polished edge and the larger knife excellent edge holding and the toughness to take more demanding use. The larger knife needs to have enough belly to be useful as a folding kitchen knife, which rules out knives like the Yojimbo or Dodo. I've thought about getting the blade on a UKPK reduced by 1/2 inch to an inch, since I find the handle extremely ergonomic but the blade is longer than I need for a small precision folder.

The knives I'm considering are as follows, with the ones I already own marked with a *

Small:

Micro-Dyad*
Kiwi
Spin
Cricket
Lava
UKPK*

Large:

UKPK (Could be my large or small knife)
Military* (Would purchase a S90V model if I chose this)
Stretch 2
Manix*
Endura G10
Native 3
Lil Temp
Tenacious*
Centofante 3
Para
Pacific Salt (Something I'm mainly considering due to how much I sweat being active outside in the summer)
Phoenix

I prefer the back lock to all others but will use any sort of lock if I like the rest of the design enough. I'm looking for models lacking tactical appearance if possible.

As much as I like the Manix and Military, lately they've felt bulky to me. An Endura or Tenacious fits IWB much better for me, which is where the large knife is carried a lot. Since the large knife for me sees a lot of carry and little use (Most my cutting can be done with a 2 inch blade), carry comfort will be an important factor.

Any other models I should consider or experience from those who use a similar setup would be appreciated. I don't have many small Spydercos right now, I've always carried a traditional slipjoint for that purpose, but I'm starting to look at them more closely. I have a micro Dyad in the mail and have held both a Lava and spin and find them comfortable. The Kiwi looks like the perfect small knife to me, as it has a small, precise, pointy blade with a choil that goes right up to the edge and a 4 finger grip. Very attractive piece as well, which is something I prefer in my knives. Right now I'm leaning towards the Kiwi or Spin for the small knife (Prefer a pointy blade) and the G10 Endura or Stretch 2 for the large knife.
This was my first post on the Spyderco Forum.....over a decade ago.......pretty fun comparing my thoughts from then to now.

You can tell I was heavily influenced by all the "sheeple" talk on various knife forums at the time. After a decade more of experience in different countries, states and cities, not so much :) I was a lot more concerned with a tactical appearance back then, and was trying to get by with the shortest blades that I could.

It's funny to see me "considering" a Pacific Salt. This post was right before I acquired a Tasman Salt SE and Pacific Salt PE to see if H1 really was rust proof. At the time I didn't believe it would be.

I ended up trying out every single knife on my list. I still own my Spin, various Pacific Salts, and a Manix "XL" (I still think the mini manix is the mini version, and the "XL" is a normal sized knife, and the modern naming conventions will forever feel backwards to me). Everything else has been sold or traded. Phoenix, S90V Military, Lil Temp, Dodo......

I rarely carry a traditional slip joint these days. Back then I was much more into old school designs....stockmans, buck 110's, opinels, puukos etc. These days I'm all about performance. The most traditional I've gotten in 2018 is a Victorinox Farmer on day hikes.

I think the CF/ZDP189 Stretch is one of the nicest Spydercos I've ever owned....but I decided it wasn't for me. It was a little more narrow in the handle than I liked for heavy use, and in the end I decided I'm better served by a longer blade like the Military.
with a choil that goes right up to the edge
That quote sticks out to me. I used to run a knife review site that was essentially a cliff stamp wannabe page. I remember I was the only knife reviewer that would list the distance from the index finger to the cutting edge, which is an important factor in achieving the most efficient leverage possible. To this day I've yet to see anyone else list that measurement, whether it's a company or knife reviewer. I think it's something people should give a little more attention to personally.
:unicorn
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Holy necro-thread Vivi! :p :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VIVI I'm going to tell you a couple of things I think you'll find beneficial. I also first thought that the C-36 Military model would be just a tad bit too big for EDC carry. But after EDCing my M390 Military as my main EDC for close to 3 years now I can tell you that in due time it will get to where it doesn't even bother you at all. Because after using that M390 blade steel I decided that it what I wanted for a knife I work with daily. My companion Spyderedged blade is also not a small fry either. Lately I've been rotating between my ATS-55 era Stainless RESCUE model and my old VG-10, SE Spyderhawk and needless to say they ain't little either. But as handy as it has been when faced with some demanding cutting jobs they have been a "lifesaver" at times.

I'm now to the point to where anything smaller than a Para2 just simply feels inadequate to me. I'm hoping someday that a new Sprint Run G-10 Harpy will become a reality because I did like it a lot for most jobs that require a Spyderedge. But the more I've been using my Stainless RESCUE and VG-10 SE Spyderhawk models I'm really finding it to be a really handy tool rotationl. What I'm saying is that you really need to EDC a couple of the larger folders for at least a week before you make up your mind. Because that's what I did several months back and I now wonder how I ever got by with stuff like my ZDP-189 Caly Jr or ZDP Delica or other small to mid sized folders I used to carry.

I'm here to tell you that it grows on you in a good way. Because it sounds like you actually work hard with your knives like I do and several other Brothers here do as well ( Sisters too :D ). Just give it try and let us know what you think :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's interesting Vivi. As a newcomer to Spyderco I feel like my taste in knives is still evolving, but I've noticed a definite shift of preference toward larger knives myself.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I have Byrd Hawkbill as smaller knife, it’s pointy and serrated 8Cr seems to be under appreciated. I am guessing with your preference of Pac Salt Ergonomics, the Cara2 & Meadowlark (of which the hawkbill is based) handle will suit you. Having a less pointy serration in hawkbill you’re going to use it more like PE with the ease of touch up of SE.

My EDC nowadays are that accompanied by stretch HAP40 but probably you’ll like Stretch 2 handle better. The G10 is ZDP so you may reconsider the corrosion resistance, however I recalled you mentioned it wasn’t a problem (not sure if I remember it correctly).

The hawkbill is clipped on my LFP and Stretch is either IWB 2 o’clock or in pouch RFP as the burnt orange attracts attention.

Edit to add, just saw the necro comment. :eek:
Probably no advice is needed now :D
Chris :spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Even though I prefer smaller knives I will vote for:
Lil’ Lum — absolutely love Bob Lum’s Chinese folder designs. This one cuts and slices like a bigger knife and is proving far more useful than I originally thought it would.
Kapara — I think this one has everything a larger folder should: extremely useful blade shape and grind, slim yet ergonomic and the CF scales add something extra. (And, who could knock that “redback” spacer?)
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Vivi,
I too have found I've gravitated tho bigger knives. A PM2 or Endura is my smallest routinely carried big knife and I frequently carry a Mille, or P3 or P4.
I also always carry an SAK Alox Cadet for small or abusive tasks and for its handy nail file and screwdrivers.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cycletroll wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am
Vivi,
I too have found I've gravitated tho bigger knives. A PM2 or Endura is my smallest routinely carried big knife and I frequently carry a Mille, or P3 or P4.
I also always carry an SAK Alox Cadet for small or abusive tasks and for its handy nail file and screwdrivers.
Sounds like we have pretty similar tastes. Pacific Salts are my smallest EDC'd folders, and I always have a multitool or two on me. I save those blades for dirty cutting tasks I wouldn't want to do with a knife that sees food prep. The screwdrivers on SAKs and Leathermans also make much better pry bars than the tip of a Spyderco :)
MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:29 am
Even though I prefer smaller knives I will vote for:
Lil’ Lum — absolutely love Bob Lum’s Chinese folder designs. This one cuts and slices like a bigger knife and is proving far more useful than I originally thought it would.
Kapara — I think this one has everything a larger folder should: extremely useful blade shape and grind, slim yet ergonomic and the CF scales add something extra. (And, who could knock that “redback” spacer?)
The Kapara looks like one of the best collaborations they've done recently.
:unicorn
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I saw this thread, and your name on that first post Vivi, and was so confused til I noticed the date. :D