Can the Delica handle Batoning

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blue72

Can the Delica handle Batoning

Post by Blue72 »

if so, is there a correct way in doing this, thanks
chux

Post by chux »

I can't see that there would be any problem. I have had to baton with a Native (PE s30v) and it handled it with no sign of damage in any way, the lock held easily. I would think the new grind and thicker tip on the D4s would make your chances of hurting the knife even smaller than a hollow ground Native.
Byrði betri ber-at maður brautu að en sé manvit mikið.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dd61999 wrote:if so, is there a correct way in doing this, thanks
Same as for batoning with any locking folder, hold the handle as loosely as possible, and keep the arm holding the knife relaxed. Doing that minimizes the stress on the pivot and lock. Still, if you know you're going to be in a situation where you expect to feel the need to baton a knife, it would make more sense to carry a decent sized fixed blade than to rely on a small folder.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I think this is where the Scorpious could take a stand.
With that piece of pommel end on its full
SS structure,i think,it could handle some battoning WRT selfdefence.
I think the Scorpious has to fill this void atleast,seeing that its not the prettiest in the bunch,but a D4 is also tough enough for the abovementioned,just not my first choice.
MW.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

The Deacon wrote: Still, if you know you're going to be in a situation where you expect to feel the need to baton a knife, it would make more sense to carry a decent sized fixed blade than to rely on a small folder.

I agree, I know I should get a fixed blade I just like packing small and light while hiking and do not want to carry around a fix blade
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: If yer just hiking why would you need to baton something? :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

dd61999 wrote:I agree, I know I should get a fixed blade I just like packing small and light while hiking and do not want to carry around a fix blade
It sounds like you should take a look at the Street Beat. Every day almost, I have my Street Beat on my belt without noticing it. It only weighs 3.2 oz. plus the sheath, which weighs next-to-nothing.

Mr. Blonde's excellent review:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... treet+Beat
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Spydiman

Post by Spydiman »

dd61999 wrote:I agree, I know I should get a fixed blade I just like packing small and light while hiking and do not want to carry around a fix blade
You could also try out one of these suckers, I edc them, and barely notice them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3G7nPYs7w

".........I've been called an "enemy of the planet" for not living within walking distance of where I work and shop - by a guy with six kids! Needless to say he was a bit upset when I suggested he walk home and drown four or five of them."

-The Deacon