Design your 1 and only Spyderco knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tjolbi

Post by Tjolbi »

jaislandboy wrote:interesting design Tjolbi :)
I like the sound of H-1 and skeletonized Ti liners.....but I'd prefer a lockback version with either G-10/Micarta scales :rolleyes:

At first my plan was to go for a lockback aswell (more ambidextrous), but that would make the top of the knife closed. The open back the linerlock allows would make for easier maintenance + nothing small would be able to get stuck between the lock and the blade. (Maybe something could block the knife from closing again, but that's still safer to work with than a knife that won't stay closed :) )

The red part is grint/other small stuff that might prevent the knife from locking.

With a linerlock the knife would keep locking untill the knife is so full of stuff you wouldn't even be able to open it let along try to lock it. :)

(I could of course be completely wrong, in which case I'd appreciate it if someone were to point out the inconsistencies in my theory. :o :p )

I tried to make it as versatile and rugged as possible, so no dirt, corrosive fluids, or other problems could pop up while using the knife. :)
Derkomai

My EDC custom Spydie

Post by Derkomai »

Overall
style: Dyad
construction: screw
clip: 2-way wire clip (tip-up)
open: 11 mm. :spyder: hole
Blade
blade 1: SE Jester style
blade 2: PE Ladybug 3 style
blade length: 60 mm.
blade thickness: 2.5 mm.
steel: SE VG10/ PE ZDP-189
grind: flat saber-ground
extra: spine jimping
Lock
system: back lock
extra: David Boye Dent
Handle
material: FRN Volcano Grip
colour: marine yellow
extra: lanyard hole
"Spyderco, the edge of the world!"

"Wherever you go, go Spyderco!"

"Fear is often a good motivator, but seldom a good advisor"

"Integrity is being good even is no one is watching"™ Sal

Post by #36 »

Fun!

My custom knife:
Style: Caly Jr.
Construction: Screw
Carry: Tip-Up
Open: Waved!
Lock: frame lock [or compression lock? I still haven't actually tried that one...]
Handle: G10
Blade Steel: vg-10 or zdp
Blade Length: 3"
Blade Style:Caly jr.
Blade Type: Plain edge
Clip: Classic Spydie Clip
Extras: Lanyard hole, liners

really, I would just love to see a plain edge, high flat grind, waved spydie!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Tjolbi wrote:Image

H1 steel, titanium skeletonized liners,... so it won't rust.
Liner lock which means it can have an open structure (the back of the knife isn't closed), which would make it easier to clean.
G10 handles unless something else would be better resistant to corrosion and such? :)

Half serrated wharncliffe style blade with a sharp point, no sheepfoot. :)

Not sure on the clip, would a wire clip be strong and corrosion resistant enough? :confused: If not, a titanium clip then, which can be configured for tip-up or tip-down carry (and left and right) for those that wish to change it to their liking. :)

(for the screws it would probably be better to use allen head screws though right? :confused: )

;)

Oh and this would be about 22 cm in total. :)
Great design Tjolbi.

However I would very much like it to have no more than half an inch PE :D ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Can't post anything now, but give me about 6 months, then I'll show you. ;)
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

bladese97

Uh....Ya; I am serious

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: My ideal edc would be pretty much like the soon in my pocket :spyder: Superhawk :spyder: ; The only things I would love to have different are as follows; The handle would be either cf(I believe the cf on the Superhawk is peelply)Cf, or Titanium; If still cf handled, and screw constructed. I would love to have H1 Steel liners. If handle would be Titanium, I would love to make it unique, and have weight reducing holes cut out(2 on each side in the shape of the Hawkbill blade, and opposing one another) :cool: ! Oh, we might as well slap in some phosphor bronze washers! The lock on this Spyderblade will sure as **** have a complock(nested if handle is cf). The blade steel would be H1, and would be available in pe, or se(I would also settle for S30V action)! As for the clip, it would be wire style, and possibly 4-way clipped. As an added bonus, and to make it all the more Spyderific, I would put on a Cobru hood. Ya....I know... :eek: :eek: Pretty sick'n nasty ...ha?
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

David Lowry wrote:If I could only have one folder it would still be the Para-Military. I don't have to design anything. Spyderco already has it in their lineup. :)

I love the Para-Military. No matter what I've said in other threads.....I always end up coming back to the Para. NO matter What! I currently have my black bladed PE in my pocket. ;)
I agree. Sorry to be unoriginal, but if it had to be just one, it would be the para. After carrying it for a few years now, there is not anything I would change (until some new vorpal steel comes along, then just swap out the blade.
Cuccos19

Post by Cuccos19 »

Paramillie would be a near perfect for me too, but there sould be some glassbreaker, or rather say "bone/skullbreaker" on the butt end of the handle. Just could come in handy in self-defense situations. But anyway, it's really a hot knife!
Billy

Post by Billy »

Billy wrote:For me it would be a Chinook III in FG G-10, but with the blade having a slightly less upswept tip (a bit closer in shape to the modified clip point of the Millie) and maybe just a tad smaller overall.

THE perfect EDC for me!
Hehe, that sounds quite a bit like my G-10 Persian. :D

But, one year later and I'm going to change it to:

BG-42 Military but with a R/L, tip down carry (so I could carry one weak side), a beefier version of the wire clip and the thick liner lock from the Khukuri.

I would buy two. :cool:
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

My perfect edc is a Sage. Perfect in every way. It is the only knife i would consider buying 2 of incase one breaks or is lost or stolen,.

Would love to see a FRn Caly 3. And would have bout a Caly 3 in Carbon fiber had it not been for the ZDP.

Sixheads
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Must haves in bold, the rest are just slight preferences...

Style: Stretch II
Construction: Screw
Carry: Right Hand, Tip-down (though tip up is fine
Open: Large Spyder hole like the Millie
Lock: BBL like the Phoenix
Handle: Smurf Blue G-10 like the Dodo (Unless CF can be BLUE??)
Blade Steel: S90V Stainless Steel
Blade Length: 3.5"
Blade Style: Stretch
Blade Type: Plain edge
Grind: Full Flat
Clip: heat treated wire clip
Extras: Lanyard hole

Honestly, if the current CF Stretch II were BBL and wire clip, that would be close enough to call "game over".

Ken
玉鋼
nicholaspoole

Post by nicholaspoole »

My custom knife:
Style: cqc14
Construction: philips head (for easy cleaning/assembly)
Carry: Tip-up
Open: Spyder hole with spyderco style emerson wave
Lock: frame
Handle: black g10 and titanium
Blade Steel: s30v
Blade Length: 2.7"
Blade Style:drop point, full flat grind, v grind
Blade Type: plain edge
Clip: Wire clip for right hand carry only
Extras: drilled liners to save weight

SC14BK
C78BK
C109BKP
C115CFP
C122
C11GRE

and more too come
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Titanium handled military with a frame lock, exotic steel blade would be cool, bg-42, s90v, or cpm-m4 would be excellent! :D From the sounds of things that were unveiled at Shot there might be one on the way!!! I cannot wait!!
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

Delica/endura style

ball bearing lock

possible index finger choil (like most of the byrds)

black carbon/ti coating on all silver parts

G-10 handle (textured, like the FRN)
CTfam

Post by CTfam »

Take the Caly3 and shrink it to 3.25" closed.

Offer it in black or orange G-10.

That would be my dream EDC blade. :)
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

Chinook III fixed blade.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Until I got my Sage, I would have said that an S90V Millie was the perfect knife. Now it is a toss up between the two. However, if I really had to choose, the Millie would get the nod.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser