Have you ever bought a Spyderco just to resell it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Killdozer

Post by Killdozer »

I just bought a Massad Ayoob from a brick and mortar building. It's too big for me to carry at work, I just got it to turn a profit on Ebay and hopefully support my growing knife habit.

I feel a little dirty for some reason. I always pride myself for using and carrying all my knives (as Sal intended) and now this.

Your thoughts?

-Mat
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

I think if you collect anything long enough, and your budget is limited, you end up doing this sort of thing. No big deal. But I have an extremely poor track record making money from my hobbies. If I find something at a good bargain, I usually feel the urge to pass on the bargain to another collector. However, I've been burned doing that before. I once sold a valuable watch bracelet to someone at a good bargain, and he turned around and sold it at a huge profit. I didn't feel right about that, and I am more careful now about to whom I pass on good deals. If I'm selling something, I flat out refuse to sell to persons I know to be dealers, or engage in habitual flipping.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

What Will said.

I've reached the point where I'd rather give a knife to a friend than sell one to a "flipper". Can't honestly say I've ever bought one just to sell, but have been known to buy the occasional duplicate "for trading stock", or to buy "knife B" that I don't really want, because it's part of a package deal with "knife A" which fills a hole in my collection, figuring I could trade or give it away.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I have bought many to turn a profit or to trade.
To be honest it was the only way I could really grow my collection.
I have a few very high end knives and guns that would make you pass out if I said what I really had in them,no way I could have bought them if I hadn't done it through some smart trades and sales.
ie.I bought a pistol from someone at a gunshow for 400.00,it sells at dealers for 720.00.It came with a Galco shoulder holster,I sold the shoulder holster for 125.00 thus reducing what I had in the pistol to 275.00.
This buying selling trading is an art form to do it with out screwing someone over and still come out.I tried to tell a friend about how to deal on knives and guns and for some reason it was like he just could not get it.He was sitting here one night while I was working a deal and said that will make you a good one,I said I did not want it but I could turn it for something I do want and make a little while giving the guy I am trading what he wants.He had no idea why I would do something like that and also wonders how I get what I do with us making about the same wage. :rolleyes:
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
catamount

Post by catamount »

Never ;)
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Really liked the C83 Persian and bought a second for selling when they were going to be really expensive in the future, :rolleyes: .

Showed it to a very close friend who really took a liking to it. Well I wound up giving it to him one night when we were having them over for supper. Being the bonehead I can be occasionally, I later gave him my user Persian as he likes to have multiples of what he likes which sometimes I kinda wish I didn't do. But then again, good friends like Dave are few and far between. He tells me they worked really well for him when cutting up the fine bull elk we pulled out of the forest this year and quite likes them, was right impressed with the blades.

So, long story short, only did it once and botched it up. Probably the last time I do that, I try to only make my boo-boos once, after all, "there ain't no education left to get in the second kick from a horse". :D
WTC #1455
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've never bought a spyderco with the intention of flipping it. I've only traded one knife from my collection and both of us were happy with the trade. Other than that trade my collection/accumulation/hoarde just keeps on getting larger over the years. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
dete

Post by dete »

no,
or any other knife,

if I buy it and don't have it anymore, is cause
I gave it away :)
Effigy

Post by Effigy »

Yep :eek:
A guy wanted to swop his Native OIF for a UKPK. I have two UKPK's - one with my CC number and a Design Team engraved one. There was no way I was going to let either of those go, so I bought a NIB one just to trade :D
:spyder:#86
eljay

Post by eljay »

Personally I'd rather see it sold to somebody who wants it on eBay than mouldering in a knife case in a store somewhere.
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I have bought knives just to try them out. If they didn't feel right I usually sell them.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

J Smith wrote:I have bought many to turn a profit or to trade.
To be honest it was the only way I could really grow my collection.
+1, well said! Can only speak for my person: Not the only way to finance my collection, but an important support.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Yeah but the Spydies are staying, because after a while I'd probably regret selling them.

One piece of advice is know beforehand if this knife is for you or to resell, and make that distinction clear. You will be better for it.

take care
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Nope :cool:
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Nothing wrong with recognizing product X being undervalued, buying it, then reselling for the market rate. It depends upon the circumstances though. If a store has a knife for way undervalue, I have no problems buying it to resell, but if Widow Douglas wants me to make an offer on her deceased's collection, I wouldn't want to cheat her. I'm not a Ferengi, afterall.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

I've done this once. A couple months ago I saw a full size Persian in a local shop. I couldn't just let it sit there even though I knew I wouldn't keep it for myself. It was fun to look at for a couple weeks though :)
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Killdozer wrote:Have you ever bought a Spyderco just to resell it?

I just bought a Massad Ayoob from a brick and mortar building. It's too big for me to carry at work, I just got it to turn a profit on Ebay and hopefully support my growing knife habit.

I feel a little dirty for some reason. I always pride myself for using and carrying all my knives (as Sal intended) and now this.

Your thoughts?

-Mat
No. Given the volatility of many of the new Spyders in recent years that have been discontinued- whywould you do such a thing. You might be looking for another one in a year or two...
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I never buy to resell, as doing so defeats the purpose of collecting. I may buy 2 or 3 of a knife for use and collecting, but I will leave my executor to do the selling. ;)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser