Regrets...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

I miss my Lil' Temp, big persian, and Viele 2 at times...also the lava.
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

FastEddie wrote:Gary,
I know what you're saying. You used to picture a Moki with your sheathes and I talked you out of it. Greatest fit and finish(maybe up there with the Horns'?) and I still have it. Thanks.

fe
That was one of the sharpest knives I ever had! Forgot about that rascal!!
G2
"The Road to **** is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Bob Lum Tanto Fixed blade is my only major regret.... :o
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Gary W Graley wrote: How about the rest of you folks? Any regrets?
No, because I've never sold a Spyderco! Spydercos fall under the same rule as guns. :D

I have to say though, if I sold my Manix, I don't know WHAT I'd do! :eek:

Edited to add: You just inspired me flip my Manix a few times. Now, I REALLY don't know WHAT I'd do if I sold that beautiful, monstrous slab of G10 and S30V!
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:No, because I've never sold a Spyderco! Spydercos fall under the same rule as guns. :D

I have to say though, if I sold my Manix, I don't know WHAT I'd do! :eek:

Edited to add: You just inspired me flip my Manix a few times. Now, I REALLY don't know WHAT I'd do if I sold that beautiful, monstrous slab of G10 and S30V!
Good to hear, and you know what, as I was teetering as to what to buy from
the local web site pharmacy, I almost went for the Manix again as that was a
very very solid knife, may still get another one...next year.

Just got my notice, the Caly 3 is scheduled to arrived Dec 24th, good timing eh?
G2

Psalm 1
SimpleIsGood229

Gary W Graley wrote:Good to hear, and you know what, as I was teetering as to what to buy from
the local web site pharmacy, I almost went for the Manix again as that was a
very very solid knife, may still get another one...next year.
You should get one! Get the Mini, as well. They are my two favorite Spydies (at the moment, anyway)! :D
Just got my notice, the Caly 3 is scheduled to arrived Dec 24th, good timing eh?
G2
Perfect! :cool:
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Gary, the Manix and Mini-Manix have been discontinued. Next year may be too late.

Whenever I get my hands on a new knife, I put it in my pocket and use it. That way I know I'll never recover my cost if I sell it, and the temptation to do so is banished. My current "YOU CARRY THAT!? :eek: " knives are a C54BMP Calypso, a C52BMP Calypso Jr., a C44P&S Dyad and a C39Micarta Dyad Jr. They all get used at work.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

The Mini Manix is out of stock at NGK, but the Manix is there, looking for some
images that compare the Caly 3 G10 along side the Manix, I can't remember
the size exactly but know it certainly was a tank of a knife.

G2

edited to say that I just placed my order for the full size Manix...can't wait!

Psalm 1
SimpleIsGood229

yablanowitz wrote:Gary, the Manix and Mini-Manix have been discontinued. Next year may be too late.
I can see the Manixes becoming like the L'il Temp.
My current "YOU CARRY THAT!? :eek: " knives are a C54BMP Calypso, a C52BMP Calypso Jr., a C44P&S Dyad and a C39Micarta Dyad Jr. They all get used at work.
The frightening part here, Yab, is not that those knives get used ''at work.'' The frightening part is that YOU use them at your work! :p :D
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Been a few years, my list is still about right, a slew of new ones have passed through my hands, right now ONE of my fav's is the ZDP-189 Dragonfly 2, but for everyday all day work, man I am a believer in the Resilience and Tenacious, both are great slicers, amazingly so!

Any new folk have regrets or any of the old timers' ;) have new regrets ?

G2

Psalm 1
Holland

Post by Holland »

I regret not getting in the game sooner. Had to pay secondary market prices for half of the para2 sprints, missed out on the lil temp's, the ATR's, and the Salsa's :(

Also regret buying a chris reeve umnumzaan... just recently sold it on ebay, taking a decent loss... I regret buying an emerson horseman, and for being into the whole hard use type of thinking when i first got into knives. Took me a while to realize knives are made to cut :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Invective

Post by Invective »

Holland wrote:I regret not getting in the game sooner.
Yup, definitely this. Or at least in my case, getting into quality knives. When I look at what I bought when I was younger and how much it cost me, the amount I paid compared to quality I got is absolutely abysmal ): As well as having to pay secondary market prices for most of my favorite/sought after knives now (Captain, Terzuola Slipit, Caly 3.5 SB) and having to scour BST forums in order to find nice knives that I want. But I guess that's all part of the game :D It woldn't be fun if I were just able to buy whatever I wanted, that'd be like playing baseball and always hitting homeruns without having to practice, where's the fun in that??
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I can't say I really have any regrets as far as Spydercos. I've been lucky enough to have many opportunities to buy almost all the rare and discontinued Spydies I've wanted, and I've only sold those that I was sure didn't fit me.
:bug-red-white
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Only one regret. The SB Caly 3.5 I bought had a defect and I had to exchange it. Been eyeing the latest Caly 3.5 knives but I have to wait. Hard times ahead.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
computernut

Post by computernut »

Regrets.... Finding a Stretch ZDP CF in a knife store that even the employees were shocked to find they still had, could have bought it but decided not to (bought a Caly 3 ZDP). Went back a few days later to see if they still had it but alas someone else snagged it...
another.... Didn't get a Caly 3.5 Super Blue when I had the chance.... To make up for it I made sure I got a preorder for a Caly 3 SB (should be in next week!)
another.... Could have gotten a Manix 2 BD30 Sprint but I didn't think I'd like the Manix2 but a friend got a regular DLC one and I liked it so much I bought one and now I wish I would have picked up that Sprint while I had the chance...

Thinking I should set aside an emergency knife fund so I can snag good finds when they come up instead of humming and hawing about whether I should or not.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have quite a few regrets of not to buying enough some of old spydies.
I regret selling my Native4, but when I buy new CF N5, I will be much better. I didn't love N4 as much as N5.
I regret a little giving away one of my C83 Persians, but I wanted to sell it anyway and the kid was short on $$ and earned my respect by supporting his parents, so he deserve it. I hope he enjoy it.
I have regrets because I got into Spydies too late in my life..............
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Before I've let go of some models I've always tried to be conscious about not feeling regret later. I've actually gifted more than sold, and have gifted as many folders as I now own ;)

With this current modest collection of folders, 4 mules,and 4 other very nice fixed blades I have no excuse to feel regret over the models I've let go :) ...........It's much more enjoyable to fully appreciate the models I do have in hand :D
Attachments
collection 006 small.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Holland wrote:I regret not getting in the game sooner.
^^^^^^^This is my first regret.^^^^^^^

I wish circumstances had been better and that I didn't need to sell my Caly 3.5 ZDP or my M390 Para 2 for cash, but it was for the good of the family.
The only real Spyderco that left the nest and I want back is my CF Manix 2 S90V, but it went to a loving home and I can always visit if I feel like taking a drive.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

On the comments on slicing falling paper a member on British blades Longstrider known for his amazing sharpening skills can cut a blue (very thin) cigarette paper in half, stood on its end.
I think its done with a fairly mediocre steel too I'm sure there's a video on bb of him doing it too after sharpening/reprofiling people's knives.
On return he includes plasters :D as his sharp is beyond scary by all accounts.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I regretted selling my CF Balance, but I just got one again at the same price I sold mine so I'm even.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy