My thoughts on the Cricket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brad S.

My thoughts on the Cricket

Post by Brad S. »

A few years back when I was short on work (furniture design) I Decided to work at a coffee shop to help pay the rent. Well that was a while ago, in fact almost 2 years ago, but none the less I have remained as a "backup" on the shifts. So thusly its my christmas break from school (yes I am a student still). It opens up a bunch of time in my week so I start to pick up shifts during that time. Well needless to say I picked up my first shift tonight, my first shift in nearly a year.

Anyways to the point.

I picked up a cricket a couple days ago. I have been eyeing one for a while but had never gotten one. I had hoped to pick up a second at the Factory second sale. But Alas they had none. So yesterday I stoped by the SFO, mostly just to say hello to Lynette and Jim (wonderful people, I hope you all get the chance to meet them (I drive by the SFO quite often, you would stop for no apparent reason as well... admit it) I played with a Cricket almost the whole time I was there, well I went home with one ;) :o .

So I figured tonight was a great place to "test it out" My Caly 3 was just a bit to much for most coffee shop folks, so it remaind uncliped in my back pocket, just in case, ok honestly it never really leaves my pockets. I clipped my new cricket In my primary position (Right Front Pocket). Even if I know my knife is going to make NKP's uncomfortable I have a habit of grabing this knife (RFP) first so I have to change what knife goes here. My cricket was here in the first to grab spot.

Well tonight I used my knife more times then I would have ever thought I would. Opening bags of coffee beans. opening various bags of things that needed restocking (cups, lids, etc...) opening boxes... Every time I found my coworker searching for sissors and I was always prepaired with my Knife. Needless to say, She Loved the Cricket. The Shape, the way it fit the hand, the simplicty. She is a NKP, never carried a knife a day in her life, but she loved the Cricket. I used it constantly throughout the night, but I think she may have asked to use it even more than I did. She kept calling it cute (is that a good thing or a bad thing)

I have never owned A knife with a reverse S or a hawkbill. GOODNESS have I been missing out. I love that "hook" its opens bags, zipties, cuts tape, even those annoying hangnails better than I ever imagined. Its grabs it just like an extension of your fingers and cuts it like we all know a good Spyderco does. Well I have been pleasantly surprised. What simple and useful knife that even the sheeple can enjoy. Just makes me smile. :D
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

What a very nice story of the Cricket Brad :cool: :cool:

Whenever I'm carrying my SS Cricket/SE I wonder why the heck I'm carrying a bigger knife as well :confused:

Every time I cut something with it I'm amazed of the cutting ability of the little bugger.

Do you have the SE one?

If not you should try it. You'll be very pleasantly surprised to say the least ;)

I can't praise the knife enough :)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Yes I do have the SE. I normally dont pick up the SE, I prefer plain edge. But I figured in this shape SE would be the best. I did get the SS SE Cricket.

Darn it Arend. I was reading you post and pulled out my Cricket to admire it and cut my finger... I'm blaming you. :D
Stupid me, I shouldnt play with knives this late at night.

Well I guess I own my knife now, it has made me bleed. :rolleyes:
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Mr.S

Post by Mr.S »

Great catch! When i got my Cricket SE, i fell in love again, and since i got it, it's my favorite EDC and replaced my Delica FRN.

Small, lightweight an my girlfriend also said, it's "cute". Yes, it is cute, but ****, i can bite!!! :spyder:

A time ago, the Cricket was one of the last Spydercos i was intrested in, but one day, i asked myself: how could it be, that such a strange knife with this S-blade could last in programm from Spyderco over 13 years, while other great knives like the Manix oder the Calypso Jr. were discontinued?

So my intrest was awake, and i bought a SE one, to look, why it's so popular. And i have to say: if you don't own one, you can's say anything about the Cricket. It's simply great!

I love mine :D
Gruss
Steffen
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Brad,

Good choice in picking up a Cricket, I have one, it's PE and one day I hope to pick up a serrated one as well. It (along with a blue Salsa) were the first Spydies I ever bought, I bought them both at the same time from the SFO probably around 5 years ago. I'm actually on my second Cricket because my first one was on the dash of my old truck & it slid into the air vents in between the windshield and dashboard :( . The fact that I replaced it shortly thereafter shows how worth it that little knife is. Enjoy your new knife.

-Jay
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Tricod wrote:Yes I do have the SE. I normally dont pick up the SE, I prefer plain edge. But I figured in this shape SE would be the best. I did get the SS SE Cricket.

Darn it Arend. I was reading you post and pulled out my Cricket to admire it and cut my finger... I'm blaming you. :D
Stupid me, I shouldnt play with knives this late at night.

Well I guess I own my knife now, it has made me bleed. :rolleyes:
I'm so very sorry Brad :o :o ( :p )

I hope it didn't bleed too hard ;)

mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Brad - between this post and Quattrokid's review of the Spin i'm having a hard time. I would like to get one or the other, I think the Cricket is wining because it comes in SE to maximize the blade length. I have a G-10 Robin that is great, but I also want a small :spyder: that looks a little more polished (ie.. SS construction, etched frame)
After enlightenment, the laundry.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Great post man! I can't wait till Xmas so I can open my SS SE Cricket.

I've handled my brother's Cricket Etched alongside of my Spin Etched and they are both such great knives. I'd probably go for the Cricket if I was more concerned with getting the "most out of my knife lineup". But we all know the real answer to which one is right: BOTH! :-P

The Cricket blade is more utility oriented, but the Spin blade will let you do more precise detailing.

I am waiting for someone to put the SE blade on the etched body. Now that will be the king of Crickets.

Today I am going out with the Spin. It's been nothing but good use lately. Can't wait to add the Cricket to the rotation.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
eljay

Post by eljay »

Yeah, that cricket's a nice knife. It does a good job on a large number of tasks, and you can definitely find yourself using that hooked tip and thinking "why don't my other knives have this?"
ergoproxy

Post by ergoproxy »

Tricod wrote:
.................................. I used it constantly throughout the night, but I think she may have asked to use it even more than I did. She kept calling it cute (is that a good thing or a bad thing) .............
I hope you are still talking about the Cricket here... :D :D :D

Hmmm, I've been always wondering about this knife's ergonomics. I can't find a dealer who stocks it locally. If it is anything close to the ergos of the Subcoms, I would definitely get one.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

ergoproxy wrote:I hope you are still talking about the Cricket here... :D :D :D

Hmmm, I've been always wondering about this knife's ergonomics. I can't find a dealer who stocks it locally. If it is anything close to the ergos of the Subcoms, I would definitely get one.
Way better than the Subcoms and I have 2 of them as well(thanks again Chad :cool: )

I have yet to find a grip in which the Cricket feels uncomfortable.

In every 2 and a half finger grip I take the Cricket, the knife feels secure :cool:

araneae

Post by araneae »

I had an almite version and a FRN version, both of which I sold. Now I wish I had one again. I really like the looks of the etched version. It may have to go on the wish list...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

quattrokid73 wrote:
I am waiting for someone to put the SE blade on the etched body. Now that will be the king of Crickets.

Amen brother (as Hulk Hogan would say) ;)
After enlightenment, the laundry.
brainus

Post by brainus »

I have been very strong lately, not buying knives. But you guys very nearly have me sold on the Cricket..
brainus

Post by brainus »

Does anyone have the plain edge? I really like the look of the etched Cricket, but I am generally an SE guy.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I have a SS SE for myself and an etched PE for my brother. I'd love to have an etched SE, but that would require buying two and swapping blades. Plus, I looooove my Etched Spin and I have no plain SS knives in my collection. The SS SE Cricket has a more "original cricket" feel than the new etched one. So I'll be content with that. Although Etched SE would be one killer EDC!
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Tricod,

Awesome story. I tried a PE Cricket about a year ago and ended up trading it. I really want another one now. I really want an SE model. :)

I may have to settle for PE so I can get the etched version.

Thanks for that story. I love reading stuff like that. It just backs up why we all carry knives.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I got myself an etched cricket, and since I got it it has barely left my pocket. I figured the PE wouldn't be a bad idea since I have a dodo in SE (which is awesome :D )

It is possibly the best little blade ever produced by :spyder: , although I would prefer the serrated version. The plain edge might do a few things better like opening letters and such, but I gotta get the SE version sometime too.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm glad to hear that this underrated knife is appreciated by more than I thought.

I held off getting a Cricket for years. Mostly cause I never liked how it looked. Nor did I ever see a use for the blade shape. Well alas I have learned my lessen. I wish I had picked one up years ago.

So for you folks on the Fence. Pick one up. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Now I want a Dodo even more :)
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, just great - now there's another Spydie I need! Thanks a lot guys! :( :) Great story, Tricod. Thanks for sharing. I love to hear that kind of stuff, too.

- best wishes, Jazz.