"Tenacious" model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bigbre04

Post by bigbre04 »

I like the looks of that knife a lot and i would like to see the specs on it at some point. I will be buying one for myself and some for my friends too. I might have missed it, but what is the date those are due to arrive in the stores?
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

It looks very nice with an excellent design.

I personally have no interest in Chinese knives. The ones I have handled have been subpar. I also try not to support any Chinese product, even though this is getting to be impossible in the modern world (your exact dilema). I once heard a very well respected knife maker say you can buy Chinese knives by the pound. I don't doubt the Chinese can make a good knife, but at what price point? In the real world of delivering the lowest price to the consumer, I guess you just have to do what you have to do. My honest opinion is this, you get what you pay for....

I liked that you guys were, "the last holdout."

Besides the Byrd line.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You got to do what you got to do. This isn't a politics related forum so I won't get into my feelings about the chinese government*cough*. It's a good looking knife, it has decent steel, and is flat ground and comes in under 50$. I'll buy at least one( then go buy two golden natives and another zdp endura). :)

Hopefully that production capacity will be put to use and trainloads of these will sell. Success for spyderco = good for us. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Senate

Post by Senate »

there are some categories of products where you can't escape the "made in china" and you just don't care because you've been buying them since forever and they're usually just consuming products, typically: you buy, you use, you break, you buy again. no personnal feelings, no attachment.

for most of us, knives aren't just that. if we buy Spyderco and other brand it means that we look for much more in knives than just a cutting tool. we look for good designs, good materials etc... and more importantly some kind of legitimity inherited from traditions of knifemaking. The US, Japan and some part of Europe have these traditions in knifemaking for decades/centuries.
it gives some kind of "soul" to our toys, which the "made in china" doesn't have (even if they probably have been making knives far as long as we have). that's probably why i've never looked at the Byrd line, the lact of personnality/soul. I won't even start a political analysis of everything that's wrong in China (we're not perfect either), afterall we gave them the Olympics so that shows we don't really care...

i don't know if i make sense with this low level philosophy (it's 3am so probably not... :) ) but in conclusion i'd just say that i'll buy this model to gauge the quality but i wouldn't like seeing "made in china" too often on the Spyderco line even if the quality there, it doesn't "feel" right.

I wish you and Spyderco all the best anyway because you deserve it.

:spyder: for life.

ps: thanks for taking the time to explain/talk to us, it only happens here and that's one of the reason why you're great.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

Will it carry the same fair and honest warranty?

It's just weird, a Chinese :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

How am I gonna buy a byrd and whine about Tenacious?

I have one byrd and and a whole bunch of Spydies, I am not the target market for this, thanks for shootin' straight though.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Sal,

I appreciate you even taking the time to tell us. No other companies do that. I understand and don't hold it against you or the company at all. Things change and people have to adapt.

The only China made knife I have ever tried has been a Benchmade Vex. It was a pretty darn good knife (I hate to admit it). It was given to me by a friend and I did a review on it over at the Benchmade forum. I know that the quality of China made Spyderco will be as good, or better than, the Vex. I did like the steel on the Vex and I think it is the same steel that will be used on this Tenacious model.

I will buy one.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Love the looks of it but I will not buy one.
I do not own any knives made in China,I hope I am never in the shape to have to buy one.No matter how good it is I will stay away at least until Chinas economy comes up close to ours but then it will do no good for US companies to have anything made there.
I hate that companies can not stay in business with out going to China.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

A sad situation but understandably necessary. :(
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

Spyderco has been making byrd knives in china for a while. Now they just have a round hole in them.

I've liked all of my bird knives. I will probably buy one of these.
eljay

Post by eljay »

Well, thanks for the warning.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Many good thoughts posted already, no need to add anything except the fact that I've noticed the Byrd line has been getting better and better, this one really takes the cake! I will for sure get one!

It almost seems like there's the Byrd line of knives and there's a kind of "Byrd Plus" line, what with knives like this one and the recent IIRC G10 Flight (?)...Bravo! :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Sal,

Thanks for explaining the situation, and the rationale behind the decision to sell a China-made round-hole Spyderco knife. I remain impressed with the BYRD line of knives. And I might give the Tenacious a try (maybe as a gift). But I do hope this is not a foreshadowing of things to come in terms of producing more Spyderco knifes in China. The need to remain competitive cannot be ignored, so I trust you will do what is necessary to ensure the viability and competitiveness of Spyderco in the international knife market. But until we see consistent high quality knives coming from China, I hope you will limit your involvement in the Chinese knife markets, at least for the Spyderco line of knives.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us why Spyderco has made the decisions it has regarding the production of Chinese knives.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Never thought I'd see the day....Oh well.....Kinda reminds me of the organic farmer who trys everything in his power to do things naturally and finds out the profits are really higher if they just use pesticides....I think this is sad day in Spyderco History..Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What about the shop in Taiwan that did the Salsa? Were they in the running for considerations?
raven

Post by raven »

I really like the looks of this knife and will be getting one as well. Like already mentioned "BYRD Flight"!!! China made.......YEAH, but QUALITY THROUGH AND THROUGH!!! This "Tenacious" design will be made in China, but It Remains Designed by Sal, Eric, and Spydercrew.......BACKED UP By The Spyderco Reputation and Nothing Can Change That ;) !!! Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

Hi garageboy, glad to see you around after all the controversy around your stolen para.

A true steel junkie.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Left Hand Path wrote:Also, the Tenacious will be available fully SE? I think I read that in the other thread...

What is the ETA?
If you're referring to my post, I was simply editing to add (ETA) my comment on Taz's pic, since she posted it just as I was typing my original reply.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Thanks for explaining Sal. Understand you dilemma.

The knife looks really nice and I'll buy one to try out. Don't expect it to drive the Stretch out of my pocket though :D
It does look like a nice entry level model with many of the features we enjoy in our :spyder: Will make a great present to people who haven't yet experienced the wonders coming out of Golden and Seki :)

Sverre
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I wish this wasn't necessary.
Sal, if you don't mind me asking, why couldn't this model have been made in Taiwan? is the difference in currency really that much?

Regardless of how good the knife is (almost, if it had an unobtanium blade I would get one), my knife purchases are surplus spending and I'm too picky with who gets my dollar to buy this one.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Well I guess it will be necessary to stay competitive then Sal.

You have to put food on the table and pay mortgage as well

Besides that I REALLY REALLY like the design and I think I can perfectly live with the Byrd steel.

In full SE as well?????

WHEN, WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN????????????

:D :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p