Wow! The Sharpmaker has made my knives SHARP!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blackhair

Wow! The Sharpmaker has made my knives SHARP!

Post by Blackhair »

First off, I suppose sharp is a relative term, and while I haven't gotten my knives to the hair-whittling sharpness of that one Youtube video, I am majorly impressed with the results that I've gotten.

Just let me say, I have discovered the power of the micro-bevel! :D

I had been practicing on my Sharpmaker with my Byrd Cara Cara, trying to get a 30 degree angle (thinking along the lines that since it's a more acute angle, it'll be sharper), and while I had gotten it shaving sharp, it wasn't up to the level of my current benchmark, the Swick.

Well, after reading some more on the forums about micro-bevels and such, I decided to try one. Since I'd already re-ground my Cara Cara to a 30 degree angle, I just gave it 5 swipes on the brown stones to set the micro bevel, and then 10 swipes on the white stones to sharpen the edge.

I then took it to my arm-hair, and that hair was practically jumping off my arm to escape the blade! :eek:

Seeing as how I had already set my Cara Cara to a 30 degree angle (which should/would be sharper), I figure that the reason for my micro-bevel success was probably due to a burr that had formed during my earlier sharpening sessions. If that was indeed the case, the 40 degree angle took that burr right off and made my knife sharper than I've ever seen it!

While I understand that if you put the time and dedication into setting your edges at 30 degrees, they will be sharper; I think I'll be using a micro-bevel from now on, especially if the results are as consistently impressive as this time! :D

I should have known that Sal wouldn't have put the 40 degree angle in there if there wasn't a good reason for it. :D
Back from an extended hiatus.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Congrats. Those ceramic stones sold by spyderco do an awesome job at sharpening the byrds. I have a set of 701 profiles, and I got my dad's raven so sharp that it clean shaved my arm in a single swipe.

Gotta love the byrds :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Only a sharp knife is a good knife - I share your happiness!

Now add to your Triangle Sharpmaker Set the Ultra Fine rods and you will find out yet another degree of comparison in sharpness of edges :cool:
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

My Ultra Sharp hones are in the mail, and set to arrive tomorrow! :D

Along with my brand new Caly3 CF/ZDP :D :D
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Discovering how sharp you actually can get a blade is like opening up to a whole new world :D . The Sharpmaker makes good sharpeners out of many of us who are normally inept at the practice.

Just so you know. You really don't need to use a micro bevel on the byrd steel. It can easily handle a 30* angle, and it will be even sharper. Just ask cobrajoe how sharp the G-10 Meadowlark was that I sold him last year. Admittedly, it could have been sharper, but at that point it was more a matter of how much time I wanted to spend on it.

That said, do what works best for you.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Yeah, I realize that I don't have to do a micro-bevel, even on the Byrd knives; but more so, I was pointing out the fact that the 40 degree seems to refine my edge some at the end of the sharpening session.

I'm sure that with practice I'll gain a steadier hand capable of 30 degree, burr-free edges. ;)
JD Spydo

Almost Foolproof

Post by JD Spydo »

A dull knife is close to useless. I tell everyone I talk to about my hobby that before you embark on knife use you absolutely MUST learn to sharpen a knife and sharpen it properly. It amazes me when I go on a hunting trip or on a work assignment that most everyone I'm around wants me to sharpen their knife for them. It's not because they're lazy it's because they don't know how to do it right.

The Sharpmaker makes sharpening almost foolproof even for the novice who has never done it before. Not only is the Sharpmaker relatively easy to use but if you follow the video verbatim you just can't go wrong.

But I do recommend to anyone who is serious about getting a Sharpmaker I highly recommmend also getting the 204 Diamond stones and the 204 Ultra Fine stones. It's an investment you just can't go wrong with.

The Sharpmaker will also teach anyone the fundamental principles of sharpening. It is truly the best tool of it's kind on the market today. JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I've been using the Sharpmaker for quite some time now, and just like the blades, it kicks @$$! Still have to get me a set of 701's though! Congrats dude!
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

I just bought myself a set of small DMT diamond stones, a Sharpmaker, and a Profile set. Now I just need to learn how to use it all. ;-)
"leave shiny footprints"
- Sal
-
Member, International Order of the Spyderedge!
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Will V. wrote:I just bought myself a set of small DMT diamond stones, a Sharpmaker, and a Profile set. Now I just need to learn how to use it all. ;-)
Don't worry, Spyderco makes it so easy, you'll be a pro in no time. :D
CajunMike

Post by CajunMike »

JD Spydo wrote:A dull knife is close to useless. I tell everyone I talk to about my hobby that before you embark on knife use you absolutely MUST learn to sharpen a knife and sharpen it properly. It amazes me when I go on a hunting trip or on a work assignment that most everyone I'm around wants me to sharpen their knife for them. It's not because they're lazy it's because they don't know how to do it right.

The Sharpmaker makes sharpening almost foolproof even for the novice who has never done it before. Not only is the Sharpmaker relatively easy to use but if you follow the video verbatim you just can't go wrong.

But I do recommend to anyone who is serious about getting a Sharpmaker I highly recommmend also getting the 204 Diamond stones and the 204 Ultra Fine stones. It's an investment you just can't go wrong with.

The Sharpmaker will also teach anyone the fundamental principles of sharpening. It is truly the best tool of it's kind on the market today. JD
Am I correct in saying that the 204 Diamond stones are "rougher" than the brown stones that come with the sharpmaker?
If they are, I definitley see the need to have a stone that is better at reprofiling. As has been said before, it should have been called the sharpkeeper rather than the sharpmaker. I find that it takes a long time to get a really dull blades sharp. Before I get labeled a knife abuser, these dull knives I speak of are not mine. :D I too am the one who is asked to sharpen everyone else's knives. ;)

Cheers,
Mike
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

The diamond stones are coarser than the brown stones; and if it wasn't for how expensive they are, I would've already ordered a pair in a heartbeat. The brown stones take forever to reprofile a blade. :mad:

Of course, I don't blame Spyderco for not packaging coarser stones in with the sharpmaker, I blame my stupid friend for letting his knife get that dull in the first place. :p
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

The diamond rods for the Sharpmaker are definitely coarser than the brown/gray rods that come with the kit. They also do help in removing greater amounts of metal in less time. Understand however, that many people who have the diamond rods use other means for serious stock removal. IMHO, they are great for sharpening a dull knife (and that depends on the knife), but if you need to re-bevel a knife, you’ll probably want something coarser.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
dete

Post by dete »

JD Spydo wrote:you absolutely MUST learn to sharpen a knife and sharpen it properly. everyone I'm around wants me to sharpen their knife for them. It's not because they're lazy it's because they don't know how to do it right.
superb point!
get your feet wet ladies & gentlemen! if your worried your gonna mess up,
get a cheap knife and start practicing :)
JD Spydo

An important, essential skill

Post by JD Spydo »

dete wrote:superb point!
get your feet wet ladies & gentlemen! if your worried your gonna mess up,
get a cheap knife and start practicing :)
Great point Dete ;) And people keep in mind that there are plenty of cheap knives out there to practice on. The average kitchen has at least a dozen knives of various styles and varieties for food preparation. The average guy usually has at least 3 folders of various styles and sizes.

Now do keep one important point in mind. Those cheap knives with older, out-dated, softer steel will be much easier to sharpen than these newer Spyderco blades with the newer "super-alloys" and mean tool steels. But you can at least get your principle methodologies down pat.

Practice is essential when learning and aquiring any new skill. And please always be mindful of the fact that knife sharpening is not without safety hazards. It is a serious skill that should be learned and practiced by a competent, sober adult. The video/DVD that comes with the 204 Sharpmaker is a great instructional tool. You will be very wise to watch it at least 2 to 3 times before attempting to use it. Actually the last time I watched my video I had my unit on the kitchen table and found it easy to follow along. There is no excuse not to learn the skill of sharpening.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

JD Spydo wrote:Now do keep one important point in mind. Those cheap knives with older, out-dated, softer steel will be much easier to sharpen than these newer Spyderco blades with the newer "super-alloys" and mean tool steels. But you can at least get your principle methodologies down pat.
when I first used my sharpmaker I destroyed a pair of tweezers...the metal was really soft and i had gone to town on the poor thing... :o

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

I bought a second Sharpmaker in case I broke or lost the one I had. I carry one in my vehicle because relatives are always asking that I sharpen their knives.