Food prep with folding knives - why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYcrash

Food prep with folding knives - why?

Post by FLYcrash »

I didn't want to derail Spyderdog's thread, but the subject of food preparation with folding knives reminded me of something I have wanted to ask for awhile.

Specifically, what is the appeal of folding knives for food preparation? There is a well-developed market for dedicated kitchen fixed blade knives, and their size and design makes them more adept at cutting large things (even a 4-inch blade struggles with a cabbage!) and easier to wash afterwards. High-end kitchen knives - Wuesthof, Shun, and Global are but three that quickly come to mind - are beautifully designed and balanced. They are plenty sharp, and some (like Shun) even use top-shelf materials like VG-10 and particle steels in their blades. I haven't used the Spyderco kitchen knives, but I'm sure that the same can be said of them.

I can think of some possible answers - food preparation on the road, dealing with ill-equipped kitchens, dealing with housemates who don't practice good knife care, not wanting to shell out the money for a high-quality chef's knife - but I don't really know, as I'm not in the habit of using folding knives for food prep. So I'd really like to hear the reasons from those who actually use their Spydies in this way.

I'm asking this in a spirit of genuine curiosity, not hostility. Thanks.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

On the road, especially at this time of year - it's apple season :D - because I find fixed blades are less convenient to carry.

At work, because the idea of walking from my cube to the break room, where the communal microwave and refrigerator are located with a fixed blade, either to use it, or to wash it after use, does not appeal to me. A folder can be transported much more discreetly.

At home, partly because it's the easiest way for me to test the relative edge holding and slicing ability, partly just because. ;) :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
korbiaka

Post by korbiaka »

I'm pretty sure most of us just do it for fun, I know I do. :)
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

hey its a good chance to "test" out a clipit.... :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What they all said, and, why not? :spyder: :)
-best wishes, Jazz.
feeny

Post by feeny »

I seldom if ever use a folder for food prep on "wet" or "sticky" foods - I just dont want to go through having to clean the mechanisms if it all gets messy.

What I can say is perfect though - and where a CE shines - is the SE portion does great on a crusty bread without squishing it, and the PE portion does great on the accompanying bit of yellow cheese - and wallah...

I often purchase crusty bread and great cheese before long train trips. A mini-manix really excels here. And I know, I know, whats a heavy duty lock back like the mini-manix doing cleaving its way through baguettes and fromage... well, as Deacon says, thats the :) :D ;) part!
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I use a Wusthof chef's knife in the kitchen,but when it comes to sheer verstatility i always have my serrated D4 and a plainedge D4 on me in the kitchen.
The nice thing is, that their always there on me, when i need them and carrying my fixed blade Wusthof isn't that practicle.
I always keep my D4's thorougly clean,washing them in hot soapy water and hot water rinse after,when using them for foodpreperation.
It boils down to practicality,versatility and a foldingknife is safer for me to use than just a fixed blade for foodpreperation.
Thalestin

Post by Thalestin »

I use my knife for food prep usually when im away from home at school. Im lazy so i just throw a few tomatos etc in my bag and then make a salad at school haha. Plus i love eating fruit in cut off pieces. Something ive loved doing ever since i was a kid. Reminds me of the good ol days of mankind for some reason.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I never try to justify things I do on a whim. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
araneae

Post by araneae »

I generally only use my folders for opening food packages in the kitchen. I have some Wusthof and Lagiuole knives for most kitchen chores. If I'm away from home folders may do food duty.

I do prefer to eat my apples one slice at a time. I also pack a good ole Imperial Hobo knife in my lunch bag.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
thread

Post by thread »

I've got a healthy appetite for folding knives,
why start the same thing over for fixed kitchen knives?
a cheap chef's knive (for the aforementioned cabbage head) and a maintained spydie for the paring knife do my kitchen duty more than adequately.
giant1

Post by giant1 »

korbiaka wrote:I'm pretty sure most of us just do it for fun, I know I do. :)
You got it Korbiaka

Could there possibly be another reason to use your favourite folder other than for shear fun and pleasure to be had each time. :eek:
:spyder: Collector 118
What goes around, comes around
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

If I am going to prepare food at someone else's house, I can just use the Spyderco that I have on me rather than using their knives. I used to pack a Cento III or Stretch and do this at my girlfriend's place all the time.

Other than that, sometimes it is convenient to use the knife that is on me for food prep, but usually I just like to use my Spyderco folders. Using them as kitchen knives allows you to see how the ergos work for you and compare slicing ability, etc.

Quite often though, I prefer a fixed blade kitchen knife for ease of cleaning and longer blade length.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
huugh

Post by huugh »

Most folders are under 4" - that's good enough for parer but not for anything else. (I do keep one small (3" blade) folder as a parer in the kitchen and it's fine for that)

I've tried my folders and fixed blades in kitchen and they SUCK at it. Usually too short a blade to cut anything in one pass or even if the length (in case of FB) would be sufficient you have to use quite uncomfortable angle and grip. Not to mention that longer FBs are usually much thicker than kitchen knives and this lowering of their cutting ability makes them even less practical.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

My SaltI is very effective in the kitchen.

And (low and behold) its PE :eek: :o

Sharpened to a very corse(sp? :o ) edge though, almost serrated :D

Haven't used it for a while though :o
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The only time I use a folding knife in the kitchen is when what I have in the kitchen is not sharp. We don't have any really "good" kitchen knives. It's pretty sad when you get out a serrated bread knife to cut a bagel in half and it just smashes the bread. However I get a Native III out of my pocket (or any other Spydie) and it slices through the bagel like it's not there. Plain edge Spydies are a lot better for bread than I ever thought. We get uncut bagels.

I would love to eventually get some Spyderco kitchen knives, or even some Shun knives from Kershaw but right now I have too many other things on my plate. ;) So, until then I substitute a folder when needed.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
dialex

Post by dialex »

Indeed, there are several tasks in the kitchen that can be performed better with a longer knife (the cabbage example is quite concludent).
But there are also a lot of small cutting chores where even a small knife does nicely. Peeling an apple, opening a bag of crackers or making a sandwich, for instance. In such case, I preffer a folder because it's closer to reach, I am used with it and I know how sharp it is :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
bowarrow2000

Post by bowarrow2000 »

It may be the Redneck Factor. Yes, I have used my folders at times for kitchen work but not very often. Sometimes that folder is very handy when you don't have a good paring knife at hand. Then again that folder comes in real handy when you go eat some place that gives you that plastic silverware, your folder will cut you food up and also double as a fork. Nothing beats a good sharp folder for cutting out pecans when you are out stomping around in the woods. Mighty handy to cut a plug of chew with.
udtjim

Post by udtjim »

Cleaning would be the only draw back to using a folder for food prep. I do it sometimes but give me a 6 or 7 inch Santuko and I need nothing else except a paring knife. I also have the 8 inch Wusthof. It doesn't get much better than that.
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Thanks, everyone! Your insights were both interesting and entertaining, and they gave me a better context for this application of folding knives.

A couple of nights ago, I tried out my Caly3 on substantial food preparation for the first time by dicing several tomatoes for dinner. The spine was a bit thick and the ergos were a bit weird for downward cutting against a cutting board. But the extremely sharp blade, which slid right through those tomatoes, made up for much of those drawbacks. I'll probably stick with my dedicated kitchen knife, but I can definitely see the appeal of a :spyder: now.