Little Big Knives: What do you suggest?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alteran

Little Big Knives: What do you suggest?

Post by Alteran »

I have been a member of these forums for a little while now. However, I have not actually bought a spydie. Yet. I am a student, and have very little money to spend (usually). My birthday was September, and I have been planning to buy a few knives with some of the money I got. I have been debating this matter with myself since, well, September.

I live in Toronto Canada, and feel I am pretty much restricted to smaller knives, because I don't want to freak anyone out. I have been looking mainly at little big knives, (though the caly3 is also nice), and small knives from other manufacturers.

I have about $200 Canadian to spend, but less is always better. I am open to getting a few knives if I can. I also plan to get a sharpmaker. Can you all give me your experiences with little big knives, and your suggestions? I am also looking at the CLB Bokers and the Imp by Nemesis Knives. The knife would be general light duty. Envelopes, fruit, the occasional package. I am particularly interested in the lava and dragonfly. But, like I said, I simply cannot make a decision. Pictures would be appreciated if you don't mind. Thanks in advance for all help! (Especially if you read that all! :p )

Alexander
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

The Lava is a great little knife, as is the Dragonfly. However if you want or need to have a knife that can be more of a general purpose knife, I don't think you can look past a Delica 4 or a Caly 3.

Lava

Comparison pic of the Native III, Native II (S/S), and the Dragonfly (S/S)

A few Delicas

Caly3 in G10/ VG10

Caly3 vs Delica 4

Others to look at would be the Native (much underated for its price point), Salt, Persian (mini).

Cheers mate, and good luck. I don't envy the task you have of choosing between so many good small/ medium sized blades that Spyderco produces.

Daniel
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

One of the greatest "little big knives" is the C93 Navigator II. Small blade, but a powerful workhorse of a knife. The finger choils lock the knife in hand - even for those with bigger mitts like me. Credit for this photo goes to Mr. Blonde (Wounter) who has taken some of the finest photos of this knife that I've ever seen.

><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

you might have enough money for a sharpmaker, delica, and something like a dragonfly!

i just got the sharpmaker to revive my copilot and it worked wonders.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the LBK's. Cricket, kiwi, lava, d'fly, Salsa, Nav, Copilot, and even a SPOT have been in my collection at one time or annother, and they all worked great.

I probably would order the top three at Salsa, Cricket, Lava, but I guess I'm a huge fan of the little salsa (even though it is the biggest of all those I listed)
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
spydie fanatic

:-)

Post by spydie fanatic »

cobrajoe wrote:I don't think you can go wrong with any of the LBK's. Cricket, kiwi, lava, d'fly, Salsa, Nav, Copilot, and even a SPOT have been in my collection at one time or annother, and they all worked great.

I probably would order the top three at Salsa, Cricket, Lava, but I guess I'm a huge fan of the little salsa (even though it is the biggest of all those I listed)
What CJ said!!!
"To Care for Those Who Shall Have Borne the Battle..." Abraham Lincoln

Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I like the MeerKat if you can find one....all the other suggestions posted are really good, that being said I think one of the best little big knives one could own is the Chad Los Banos Subcom series knives (any one of them will do)....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

whatever you do, the sharpmaker is a must. hopefully none of your rods come chipped like mine. i'll send an email to Spyderco tomorrow hopefully.

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

dete

Post by dete »

I really like this thread,

so far I'm leaning towards the lava,

what do you guys think of the salsa?
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I like the MeerKat if you can find one....all the other suggestions posted are really good, that being said I think one of the best little big knives one could own is the Chad Los Banos Subcom series knives (any one of them will do)....Doc :D
100% agree on that Doc :p

I have the all black Subbie as my constant EDC whenever I am in business attire (clips my business cards together.... when I hand out business cards people always comment on how funky my 'card-holder' is ;) ). And the Lava is also usually within very easy grasp in my watch pocket or back pocket.... oh yeah, Ladybug is usually on my waist, and Salt in back pocket. (nowhere near the amount carried by yourself Doc..... not within cooe of you by stretch !)

Seriously I'd take Docs' advice. If anyone knows little big knives it is our Doc.

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bh49

Post by bh49 »

If you can afford Caly3, go for it. There is no better small/medium knife, at least IMHO. Otherwise I would get Dragonfly.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
KaliGman

Lava

Post by KaliGman »

The Lava is my top choice for "little big knife." The ergonomics are superb.

Because of its high retention handle, you can do some surprising things with this little guy, as is shown here: http://www.albokalisilat.org/folding3.html
:D
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Live in Toronto? Make sure your knife has an adjustable pivot like the Caly 3 or D4. You don't want to be caught with a "flick knife".
The only exception I would make to that is the Lava (I have one on the way), which due to design is just about impossible to flick open.

And yes, my suggestions are the Caly 3 (ZDP-189 available) and Lava. If you want to draw less attention to yourself the Caly would be better. The Lava is very wide, it looks and feels twice it's size.

I recommend getting both.

I like to use NGK for my purchases. They are the most professional dealer I have dealt with. Make sure to ask them to tighten pivot pins before shipping.
http://www.newgraham.com/default.aspx
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

ugh right now im between a caly3 SE and a delica4 CE. i think im going to have to get both!

i wont feel bad using the delica abusively.

Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

quattrokid73 wrote:i wont feel bad using the delica abusively.
:spyder: Ummm... who are you going to abuse with it? :o :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

dete wrote:I really like this thread,

so far I'm leaning towards the lava,

what do you guys think of the salsa?
Personally, I love the salsa. It has an extremely high flat grind, a nice thin edge, a fat little belly, and great egros. I kinda consider it my "mini Lil'Temp". Also with the non-pointy tip, the often goofy color, and the "Salsa" pepper on the handle, it's very people friendly.

It does have a few small idiosyncrasies about it that some do not like. The comp lock on the aluminum model seems to develop a little play (only noticable if you press down on the spine when it's open though), the ball detent on the lock dosen't "snap" the blade closed, and some don't like the cobra hood.

This makes for a knife that is extemely easy to open and close though, and that is a large reason why I like mine so much. If you do go for a salsa, I'd reccomend against the CE, the serrations on it are too rounded and it dosen't leave much room for the PE.

If you'd opt against the salsa, I'd reccomed the lava if you like the salsa's blade shape (almost exactly the same except a little shorter, comes with some awesome egros too), or the Navigator if you would like the salsa's handle.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

Thanks for all the input, guys! So far I'm leaning towards the dragonfly and lava. Still. :o
araneae

Post by araneae »

I like my Dragonfly, but I would go for the etched version as it should provide more grip. The lack of grip is my only complaint for my SS D'fly. I added some jimping to the thumb ramp to help. Have you thought about a Byrd Robin? You can add that to the of list possibilities for about $20.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I just got a new pe vg-10 ladybug to replace my sheepsfoot ladybug II thais sucker's sharp! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

i just dont feel bad about a delica getting banged up and scratched, whereas a caly is something i would probably baby...like my copilot.