Any Byrd owners here?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sharkattack

Any Byrd owners here?

Post by sharkattack »

While glancing through the catalog, I started to look at the Byrd line up a bit closer. They have a few models that are really nice looking. I haven't heard much about them. Anyone own any of them? You can't beat the price.

I was taking a hard look at the Flight G-10 ~ BY05G. I like the looks and the specs don't look too shabby. Here's the specs:

length overall 7 7/8" (200mm)
blade length 3 7/16" (87mm)
blade steel 8CR13MOV
length closed 4 5/8" (117mm)
cutting edge 3 3/16" (81mm)
weight 4.1oz (117g)
hole diameter 15/32" (12mm)
blade thickness 1/8" (3mm)
handle material G-10

Looks pretty decent, right? What do you guys think? I wouldn't mind getting one, especially for the price, but if I'm used to the 'regular' Spydies I already have, will I be disappointed in the Byrd lineup?

Thanks for your thoughts.
S.
Attachments
BY05G_L.jpg
BY05G_L.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
My collection so far: Delica SS PE, Delica 4 FRN PE, Endura FRN SE, Manix 2 G10 PE. Since I've officially been bitten by the bug, the collection is sure to grow... :)
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

For $20-30, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I'm considering a G10 Cara Cara myself. :o
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
sharkattack

Post by sharkattack »

My main concern would possibly be disappointment with edge retention of the blade. But like you say, for $30 it's not a lot to gamble on.
My collection so far: Delica SS PE, Delica 4 FRN PE, Endura FRN SE, Manix 2 G10 PE. Since I've officially been bitten by the bug, the collection is sure to grow... :)
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Run a search here for "Byrd" and I think you'll come up with quite a few past discussions. Much has been discussed about the Byrd line.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
sharkattack

Post by sharkattack »

New guy error. Sorry, folks. :)
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

sharkattack wrote:My main concern would possibly be disappointment with edge retention of the blade. But like you say, for $30 it's not a lot to gamble on.
I think you will be quite pleased with the byrds. They are a little 'rough around the edges' compared to Spydercos, but amazing for the price.

As far as the blade, the byrd steel is really nice - similar performance to AUS-8 in my experience, and I have read that it is RC61! I think the heat treatment must be right on, b/c the steel performs quite well. And again, amazing for the price.

Personal favorites are the Robin and Meadowlark. Both have great ergos, and it's cool that G-10 can be had for so little money.

That new G-10 Flight looks great.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
huugh

Post by huugh »

There is one thing I'd add: if you are to get Byrd, get SS version. From the Byrds I have bought (SS Caracara, G-10 Caracara, all black SS Caracara and Crosbill) the "plain" SS models seem to have better fit and finish.
I think they are good deal, but after experiencing SS models I was not very pleased with the G-10 and all black versions.
Of course YMMV, maybe I just had luck with SS versions or bad luck with others. Just my experience.
Agent Starling

go for it!

Post by Agent Starling »

sharkattack wrote:While glancing through the catalog, I started to look at the Byrd line up a bit closer. They have a few models that are really nice looking. I haven't heard much about them. Anyone own any of them? You can't beat the price.
I have 3 - Crossbill, Cara Cara, Starling. They're great!
sharkattack wrote:I was taking a hard look at the Flight G-10 ~ BY05G. I like the looks and the specs don't look too shabby.

I like that one too, it will probably be my next Byrd. :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
zozo

Post by zozo »

The byrds tend to have slightly less refined fit and finish, and the steel is a little less super (not much, though), but for the price, they're unbeatable, especially the G10s.

My G10 Cara Cara is an enormous amount of knife for ~$25. It's got a smooth action, a tight lock-up, and holds an edge very well. My G10 Robin is the perfect size for in-pocket carry and is a very nice little pocket razor.

I've got a few spydies, and I love them, but I'm still going to be buying the occasional byrd, especially the G10 Flight.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SharkAttack,

Spyderco will generally give you a great deal of "bang for the buck".

I think the G-10 Flight will surprise you with quality, performance and ergos. Eric spent a great deal of time creating that design. Eric and I spent a great deal of time working with the maker to ensure our customer will be pleased.

sal
malice4you

Post by malice4you »

I can't find any CE G-10 Flights from when I've looked (not that hard, but i have looked). I want one. I own a FRN Cara Cara and want a G10 version, I'd love a G10 Crossbill, though I'll probably get a SS one anyway, and I need to get a Raven CE.
The flight and the raven are the closest knives I've seen to my old Buck Odyssey that I loved. I've been looking for a knife that mimics that knife for a long time, and those two might be the ones to get. I might even have them as a primary EDC if they're as nice as the cara cara is....
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

I have a Raven. I'm not impressed, but then again it was about $25 at the spyderco outlet. The aluminum handle is slippery. The texture on it does not help provide grip in my opinion
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I've had a few of the byrds go through my fingers, and the only problem is a little bit of "roughness" to them. Not that they were poorly made or inferior materials, but just that they wern't quite up to spyderco standard.

Examples? The Robin I gave my bro has a really stiff lockbar (though not as bad as the Blade-Tech mouse lite I just got), The raven I had a sticky locking spring and took more force to unlock than the one I gave my dad, and my crossbill had a high angle bevel so it never seemed to take an edge until I reprofiled it.

Other than a few minor things, the byrd line is absolutely the best thing at the price. The egros are most certaintly on par with spydies, and the steel will perform nearly as well as a true spydie (heck I had a friend try to sharpen my crossbill with his carbide pull through sharpener, and after 20 min he had to give up because he did absolutely nothing :D )
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

Purchased a Byrd Meadowlark Rescue as a glovebox knife for my car. As others have posted, the finish is a little rougher than Spyderco branded knives - sharp corners very lightly broken, a little coarser grind finish - but totally acceptable. Byrds are made to a lower price point, and finishing operations are expensive. My Meadowlark Rescue is a tight, sturdy knife, and the Byrd line is probably the best value for money out there, IMO.
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

I own about 10+various Byrds.....you can't go wrong with the current line ;) the edge retention is very good.... much better than my Aus-8 experiences...
I prefer the FRN/G10 versions mostly for lighter weight, the G-10 Flight is on my "to get" list ... :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
araneae

Post by araneae »

So far my coop of Byrds includes:
Meadowlark, G-10 & FRN
Meadowlark rescue
Cara Cara, G-10 & FRN
Flatbyrd
Crow

The G-10 Flight is also on my "to get" list. You will be pleased with how much knife you get for the price. Fit and finish is more than acceptable, just not as nice as a Spydie :spyder: .
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

gotta agree w/you aranea.....but I think the F&F on my FRN Meadowlark or Robin is on "par" with that of my black Salt PE ..... My only gripe with the byrds is that I wished the pocket clip was more "discrete" but there are phosphor bronze "washers" in my FRN Robin, Meadowlark, Cara Cara which seems to be a "high end" offering ... :rolleyes: :D

brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Agent Starling

a few more Byrd thoughts...

Post by Agent Starling »

Another comment on the Byrds - they're pretty sturdy. When I first got my Crossbill, I was surprised to find that it is a pretty heavy duty knife, very solid, and an all-around good performer.

So...when I buy a Byrd, I realize that it is what it is...as well made a knife as you likely can get for that particular price point...I don't expect it to be a Spyder :spyder: ...it's like, if you buy a Honda, don't expect it to be a Mercedes Benz :eek: , if you want what the Mercedes has to offer, buy the Mercedes :D ...that's my perspective, hope it helps to give a bit of additional insight.

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Bulls eye - Agent Starling! Bulls eye!
Enjoy your byrds.
Jurphaas. :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Sharpy_swe

Post by Sharpy_swe »

So far I have two Byrds, Cara Cara G10 and Meadowlark G10, IMHO they are both great “user” knives. Sharp and robust and fits my hand very well. Maybe the tip of the Meadowlark is a little bit too delicate, but I not going to bend with it anyway.