I need some counsel!! Help!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

I need some counsel!! Help!

Post by SpyderNut »

I am doing a college report on domestic and foreign businesses. I naturlly thought of Spyderco as my topic, as it makes it's products both in Japan and the USA. I guess my question is, do I need the Spyderco Story book for this report? I know that this is more nor less the 'Bible' of Spydie buffs, and I was planning on getting it sooner or later. [By the way, I already cleared this with my professor, and he gave me the the go ahead.] If I could get some insight on this, I would be grateful. Also, if anybody has any information on the early beginnings of the Company, I would be thrilled to get that information as well. If there is a cost for it, I wouldn't mind.

I think it would be great to have the entire class enlightend to the absoulute beauty and usefulness of Spyderco products. I have already shown my Ladybug and Spydercard in class. They really liked the card.

So, if somebody can help me, I would be indebted to them!

Thanks guys! [and gals too!]

Spydernut
Allen E. Treat

Post by Allen E. Treat »

To Spydernut ;
I STRONGLY recommend the
book "The Spyderco Story"; it is "pricey"
at about $70.00 but is the MOST comprehensive compendium of the companies
history, as well as Spydie evolution.
You might also wish to write the
beleagured Sal Glesser for more info, but
I say, lay your money down for the book !

"A word to the wish is sufficient!"

A.E.T.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SpyderNut. In what aspects of Domestic and foreign business are you planning to focus? There are many parts of business. What is the course?

sal
ellylab

Post by ellylab »

Hey SpyderNut, Check out the web site below. It looks like you could pick up a good used copy for $34.95. If you must have a brand new copy, you might want to check www.amazon.com. They have it for $48.96, but you may have to wait a couple of weeks.

Dan

http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cp ... &meta_id=1
ellylab

Post by ellylab »

Hey SpyderNut, Check out the web site below. It looks like you could pick up a good used copy for $34.95. If you must have a brand new copy, you might want to check www.amazon.com. They have it for $48.96, but you may have to wait a couple of weeks.

Dan

http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cp ... &meta_id=1
ellylab

Post by ellylab »

double post...sorry

Edited by - ellylab on 12/10/2001 2:29:10 PM
ellylab

Post by ellylab »

Sorry about the TRIPLE post...

Edited by - ellylab on 12/10/2001 2:29:46 PM
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks everyone for your input on the 'Spyderco Story' book. Yes, you have talked me into it. I will order it shortly!
I appreciate you guys getting back to me so quickly, you guys are great!

Sal, the course I am taking is the Introduction to Business. My professor is looking for businesses that use both inport/export markets with their products. I also think that he is looking for how the company might have had to overcome some of the cultural differences that came up from time to time. [i.e. The difference how the Japanese business culture might have contrasted the U.S. business culture.] I knew that since Spyderco made some of it's knives in Seki Japan, and also some here in the States, that I might use Spyderco for my main topic in my assignment. Yesterday, I got an e-mail from Joyce Laituri, from Spyderco, and she said that she is going to send me the business-related parts of the 'Spyderco Story', so I can get an idea for my report. I so appreciate the helpfulness of the Spyderco company. Sal, I want you know that I feel it is more like a family.

Today I plan to buy my brother a Spyderco for Christmas. I don't know which one yet, maybe a Delica, or Dragonfly. There are so many choices!

Thank you again, Sal.

Spydernut

"When in doubt, buy it"
mschwoeb

Post by mschwoeb »

hey spydernut, what college/school are you at? I am myself attending butler right now and am interested anytime I see some one in here that is from Indiana
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Mschwoeb!
It's great to see another Hoosier here!

I am attending Tri-State University here in Angola. I am currently working on getting my Associate's degree in Business. I would then like to go on and get my Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering. I live about 3 blocks from Tri-State U., so most the time I just walk over there.

Where about is Carmel IN.? I have probably been through it, but I can't remember where it's at. I do know where Butler is, if it's the same Butler. The one I know of is southeast of us by about 30 miles. It is a small town, I think it has only one stoplight. At any rate, I took my drive test there, and I like the place.
Good luck at school!

Spydernut

"When in doubt, buy it."
mschwoeb

Post by mschwoeb »

Carmel is a small town only 10 miles from the center of Indianapolis. Butler is Butler University, which is in Indianapolis. How far from indy are you?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Oops! My mistake. I should have known, Butler U.
Anyway, I am about 160 miles from the center of Indy. If I keep my foot on the gas, I can be there in a litte under 2 and a half hours. I just get on 69, and it's pretty much a straight shot all the way. I'm about 37 miles from Fort Wayne, and about 18 miles from Auburn IN. That's where they made the Auburn Cords and Duesenburgs. [Sp?]
Angola is about 10 miles from the Ohio border, and 15 miles from the Michigan line.
Yup, that's why it's call the 'Tri-State' area.

Spydernut

"When in doubt, buy it."
sal

Post by sal »

Hey SpyderNut. Cultural differences do exist and must be learned both on the import and export sides.

Even cultural problems like the local knife laws in each country have to be considered in the world of knives. Some of these problems may not exist in other industries.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you, Sal, for that info.
I am beginning to get a bigger picture of what goes on in a knife business. I am really excited about this report. I can't wait until the info. from Joyce comes in!

Until then, Thank you for your help!

Spydernut

"When in doubt, buy two."