How heavy is "too heavy" for EDC knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sharkattack

How heavy is "too heavy" for EDC knife?

Post by sharkattack »

I was all set to get the Mini Manix to rotate through the EDC line up that I'm building, but I've read several posts that indicate that people think it's too heavy to be used as an EDC piece. I'mnot sure if those kind folks actually own a Mini Manix or they just looked at the spec sheet and saw the weight of the knife, which is listed as 5.5 ounces.

Like I said, I was about ready to get one, but maybe I should look at other models, such as the Para Mili (3.75 ounces) or possible the Native (2.65 ounces in FRN & 4.6 ounces in SS). BTW, does the Native have steel liners like my Delica 4 does?

I guess my biggest hurdle in not getting the Para is the Compression Lock and the posts that I've read that indicate that the knife needs adjustment to minimize the blade play since it tends to loosen up over time. I'm just looking for a knife I can pull out of my pocket and use. I'd rather not have to tinker with a relatively expensive (to me) knife to get it to function as it's supposed to.

If it makes difference, I only carry in my pockets, no belt pouches, so I obviously don't want a knife that's going to be pulling my drawers down, at least on one side, lol.

All input and suggestions are welcomed.

S.
My collection so far: Delica SS PE, Delica 4 FRN PE, Endura FRN SE, Manix 2 G10 PE. Since I've officially been bitten by the bug, the collection is sure to grow... :)
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

I don’t own an Mini Manix however after handling them I didn’t want to EDC one because of the weight. Just to heavy. So I went with the Para its light, can take any beating you can throw at it. Easy to clean. And very easy to do any work on. I was weary for quite a while about the aspect of play showing up, and I have discovered over time that you will never find a lock that doesn’t have play in the design or will develop some play in its life.

The lockback on the Manix will have some play as well, and that will never be fixable. Compression lock will be rock solid as a lock all its life. Over time (particularly if you like to flick you knife open and closed a lot) it will develop some play. However this play can be removed. I have had my Para for 1.5 years so far and have yet to see any play. However I to do restrain myself from "playing with it".

What I'm trying to say is. Don’t worry about the play that might develop after use. I have never used a knife that didn’t need maintenance at some point. Have to keep them sharp, have to keep them lubed, have to keep them clean, sometimes you have to adjust the pivot sometimes (that’s why I like screw construction). You don’t buy a car expecting to get away with never changing the oil. Give the comp lock a chance, trust me you will love it. Plus the Para is in my opinion one of the best knives that Spyderco makes. As well as a designer, I think it and the Caly 3 are two of the best designed knives ever (yes even against customs).

Anyways I'm rambling now.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

I would't worry about it. I carry a Chinook and think it works just fine. I always use a belt, so maybe that is the difference.. :)
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

I edc a Mini Manix with no problems. I also have a Para, and though I really like it, I like the Mini Manix better. It does come down to presonal preference though. I can carry my Mini Mamix in the gym with just windbreakers on with no problem.

If you're used to carrying smaller knives, then it's going to feel a little strange. It's all relative to what you're comparing to. I had a Caly Jr for a little while and after playing with it for about an hour, I picked up my Mini Manix and immediately noticed how big it was. Prior to playing with the Caly, I never noticed much at all.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I own one, and a full size Manix as well. It's their bulk, or more precisely my feeling that they are bulkier than necessary, rather than their weight, which keeps me from carrying them. Plus, I don't do anything with a knife that a 4mm thick blade is better suited to than a 3mm one, so the extra blade thickness just translates to increased drag when cutting thick material, another point against them, for me.

In the final analysis whether any given knife is "too heavy" for you, or too a lot of other things for that matter, is a judgment call that only you can make and, like whether music is "too loud" it is both subjective and selective. I can have "Twilight Zone" playing so loud that the mirrors on my car shake when I'm sitting at a traffic light, but barely audible is "too loud" for anything by Queen. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

sharkattack wrote:I was all set to get the Mini Manix to rotate through the EDC line up that I'm building, but I've read several posts that indicate that people think it's too heavy to be used as an EDC piece. I'mnot sure if those kind folks actually own a Mini Manix or they just looked at the spec sheet and saw the weight of the knife, which is listed as 5.5 ounces.

Like I said, I was about ready to get one, but maybe I should look at other models, such as the Para Mili (3.75 ounces) or possible the Native (2.65 ounces in FRN & 4.6 ounces in SS). BTW, does the Native have steel liners like my Delica 4 does?

I guess my biggest hurdle in not getting the Para is the Compression Lock and the posts that I've read that indicate that the knife needs adjustment to minimize the blade play since it tends to loosen up over time. I'm just looking for a knife I can pull out of my pocket and use. I'd rather not have to tinker with a relatively expensive (to me) knife to get it to function as it's supposed to.

If it makes difference, I only carry in my pockets, no belt pouches, so I obviously don't want a knife that's going to be pulling my drawers down, at least on one side, lol.

All input and suggestions are welcomed.

S.
Wasn't that only a problem with the original models or something? I know my knife doesn't have any play at all. My lock-back Delica, however, does have a little vertical play and some others have had blade play with it too, so I don't see what the difference is. The compression lock is extremely solid. You won't be dissapointed, trust me.

Considering the Paramilitary is the biggest Spydie I have, I couldn't imagine carrying something nearly twice as heavy and significantly larger for nearly the same blade length for everyday carry.
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

It's all subjective: I carry my Charge TTI clipped everyday (but not at school). It weighs in at 8.2 ounces. It works fine for everything but track pants.
WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf »

too heavy = when you need two hands to weild it.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

The Deacon wrote:In the final analysis whether any given knife is "too heavy" for you, or too a lot of other things for that matter, is a judgment call that only you can make and, like whether music is "too loud" it is both subjective and selective.
I agree with what was said by Deacon. If you have a store that sells Spyderco knives where you live I'd go in and see how the knives feel in your hand. Two knives may weigh the same yet feel different in the hand because of the way the weight is distributed in them. Also, I've personally learned not to trust specs, not because they aren't accurate, but because the real thing is always a lot different than it looks on paper. :rolleyes:

Going with the music analogy, I once found the perfect pair of speakers based on specs alone. When I went to the store to have a listen, they sounded awful! Hope that helps! :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I find anything over four pounds to be quite annoying for pocket carry. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
bigcat

Post by bigcat »

For EDC I personally like to clip my knife to my RBP and then forget that I have it in my pocket...About 4 ounces does it for me......This 4 ounces is also direced to a specific type of Spyderco handle shape and material......and that would be the SS handle that is on the Pro-Venator, Harpy, Worker, Standard, and the Spur, which is a little less than 4 ounces.

BigCat
"The Power that made the body, Heals the body."
carrot

Post by carrot »

I don't think that the Manix is too heavy. I don't like carrying it in my front pocket because it minimizes my access to the pocket but it rides very comfortably in my back pocket. I usually forget it's there.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
Grey Mullet

Post by Grey Mullet »

One ounce and over is too heavy for EDC. Two ounces and over is too heavy for every other day carry.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Grey Mullet wrote:One ounce and over is too heavy for EDC. Two ounces and over is too heavy for every other day carry.
:confused: Do you wear them as earrings?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I think this again falls under the "subjective" rather than "objective" questions. Like many things the question here is what are your EDCing purposes. If you are a wildlife ranger for instance a Forester FB strapped to your utility belt may be acceptable. But if a minister at your local church then maybe a Dragonfly may be more acceptable in weight for you.

However, if we are generalising...I'd say that if it drags your shorts down (oops...it may have happened once or twice :p ) then possibly it is too heavy.

If you find you keep adjusting your grip, it may be too heavy for you. If you find you are getting lactic acid buildup in your forearms then it may be too heavy for you.

Personally I have about half a dozen blades which get rotated depending on what I wear. If I am in heavier clothing (jeans & jacket etc... I tend to whack on my mini Persian or Lava .... and hopefully soon bear to break open the Caly3 :p . If in lighter gear (like T-shirt & shorts) I will tend to grab a Native or Salt or Dragonfly. Almost always I will also go for my Ladybug.

I do not have a Manix or Para. I don't think I'd consider them EDC blades for me anyway. If I strapped one on it would most likely be if I went fishing or camping and would almost be able to guarantee that I'd be left alone ;)

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

It's not to heavy it's too bulky. I'm always in situations where I might be laying on my knife, crawling under dashes and stuff. I tried it with the chinook and it kept getting in the way. Military and endura are great though.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

WinstonWolf wrote:too heavy = when you need two hands to weild it.
Nah, too heavy = when you need three hands to wield it. ;)

For me it is also about bulk, I EDC the SS E4, even though it is heavy (5 5/8 oz), it is slim and disappears in pocket. In hand it feels solid and reassureing.

The Manix was too big for EDC for me, it just took up too much pocket space.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
TVOSK

Post by TVOSK »

I have owned both the Mini Manix and the Para Military, and to me there is no comparison...I sold my manix because it was way too heavy...I just think that a good HD EDC needs to be of good quality, but also needs to be pratical.. the Para and the Mini Manix are of equal quality, so why not but the one thats lighter in the pocket? Besides the ParaMilitary is a much better looking knife anyway...
ASHTXSNIPER

Post by ASHTXSNIPER »

I would say somewhere in the 10 lbs + range.
KaliGman

The man has a point

Post by KaliGman »

ASHTXSNIPER wrote:I would say somewhere in the 10 lbs + range.
I have carried a Manix a bit, even while wearing a suit. When wearing Dockers and a polo shirt (my standard work attire for several years)/tactical gear/jeans and a T-shirt/etc. I carried a Gunting in my right front pocket and a Chinook II in my left front pocket quite a bit. The Gunting was pretty much EDC for years, while the Chinook sometimes was kicked to the curb for an ATR, Yojimbo, Spyderfly, Emerson Combat Karambit, etc. I never found the Chinook, Manix, ATR, or Gunting too heavy. The Kris is no featherweight and it is the official knife of Albo Kali Silat, so you know I carry that one quite a bit (including today).

I have not found any Spyderco folder too heavy for EDC. There are some that I like more than others, but none I discarded solely based on weight. I carry a Blackberry, .45 ACP or .40 caliber handgun, spare magazines, a Surefire flashlight or two, and other gear on me every single workday. I pretty much carry the same load on days off. A few ounces of knife weight here or there is normally trivial to me.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper