Para Military (C81) or Manix (C101)- Help me decide please.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sharkattack

Para Military (C81) or Manix (C101)- Help me decide please.

Post by sharkattack »

I’d like to get some opinions from you guys on my next potential purchase. The two models I’m looking at are: C81 Para Mil and the C101 Manix. I don’t have any experience with the Nested Compression Lock that the C81 uses, but I’m assuming that it’s an extremely strong locking mechanism, correct? The C101 is a lock back, which I’m familiar with. The sizes of the two models is pretty close as well. Each one is within ~ 1/8” of the other one. Also, I believe each one uses the same G10 handle material.

As far as the steel used on each model, they both use CPM-S30V (which doesn’t mean a lot to me yet since I’m still learning.) Is this a decent steel? I’m thinking it is since these models aren’t inexpensive. The weight of the C101 is 5.5 ounces and the weight of the C81 is 3.75 ounces.

One thing that’s pushing me towards choosing the C101 is the fact that it is ambidextrous tip up or tip down carry, while the C81 is Right hand, tip down carry. I like to have the option of moving the clip around a bit. Sometime I wear them in my back pockets and sometime I wear them in my front pockets. It’s nice to have the option of choosing where to carry it.

If appearance counts for anything, I prefer the Para Military over the Manix. Not that I don't think the Manix is great looking, but if I had to choose only one, which I do per my budget, I'd prefer the looks of the Para Military. I'm just not sure of/familiar with the Nested Compression Lock the C81 uses.

Oh yeah, I guess I should state the intended use of this model. It’s going to be rotated with others as an EDC. Typical duties could be anything from opening mail, cutting boxes, cutting some rope or string, playing with while talking on the phone at my desk :D , etc.

If any of you guys, particularly any of you who happen to own one of these (or better yet, both) models can chime in with your thoughts and suggestions, I’d sure appreciate it.

Kind regards,
S.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I prefer my baby-manix over my manix. Baby manix is closer to the para in size. My hands don't quite fit the para-military unluss I use the choil, which I prefer not to do, also I only carry tip up so the para's a no-sale for me. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

First of all the para is C81 (which it looks like you corrected half way through). C36 is the military.

Anyway, on to your questions. I have only a para, but have handled the manix as well. The compression lock took only the first day of playing around with it get to love it. It is now my favorite locking mechanism. It is extremely strong and i find it very easy to use. The Manix's back lock is very heavy duty. I also find that the Manix fits my hand like a glove. The para is also great, but the manix is better (for my hand anyway.)

You mentioned the weight difference between the two, and it is very noticable. The para is very light in the pocket.

CPM S30V steel is a very high quality steel that takes a great edge and holds it.

I would say that if you are looking for an edc, the para is great due to its weight and strength. On the other hand, if you are left handed or want different carry options the manix or mini-manix may be better.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
hanswurst

Post by hanswurst »

I'd go for the Para. It is lighter, uses less pocket space and the compression lock is not only quick to open, but also quickly closed one handed. I can close back locks one handed, but it feels like I'm trying to tie a knot in my hand.
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

My Mini Manix seems to be the exact length of my Para.

Mini Manix:
Heavier
More comfortable in hand
Clip positioning options
Better detent

Para:
Lighter
A lot smaller when closed
Still very comfortable in my hand
Love the compression lock

Both have same steel and handle materials. Both have some very strong and secure locks. I rotate them both for EDC and I like the Mini Manix just a litle better because of the detent and the extra comfort in hand. not by much at all though.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
KaliGman

I like the Manix

Post by KaliGman »

This is a completely personal, subjective opinion, but I prefer the Manix. There are many here who love the Para, and it is a good knife. It just doesn't "feel right" in my hand. It is not bad, just not great. The Manix fits my hand like a glove. I really like the Military, and vastly prefer it over the Para, mostly due to the way the Military feels. This may have something to do with my hand size or maybe just personal preferences.

Either of these two knives should accomplish about any cutting task you could throw at them and come back begging for more. It pretty much comes down to which one you like better or which feels better to you.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

Let's start off by answering some of your questions. Yes, S30V is a top of the line knife steel.

The compression lock is extremely strong, don't have to worry about that. No doubt about it, I myself think it's quite exotic. I like being able to tell people why I spent $130 on a knife, it has, hehe "a S30V blade with a full flat grind w/ dual steel liners, a compression lock, and G10 Epoxy handles." LOL Most people give me the weird lock by that time.

The back-lock is pretty standard among Spydie's, many people can vouch for it as a very good locking mechanism.

Like you already said, the Para-Military weighs in @ 3.75 oz (I've weighed it myself) and the 83mm Manix is 5.5 oz. Size? Well, in this category, they are quite different, the Mini Manix is still quite large compared to the Para-Military. Maybe someone would be kind enough to post up comparison pics so you can see. The Mini-Manix has a huge blade on in hence the weight, the full steel liners also contribute to this. If you are one to pry w/ a knife, this one would be more suited, though I highly reccommend you not pry with any kind of knife. ^_^

Another difference is the Para-Military is open-back construction which I feel makes it quite easy to clean compared to something I already have like my Delica with lock-back. Depends on what you prefer.

Yes, the Mini-Manix is ambidexterous as far as the clip goes, neat feature. I myself only keep the knife in my right pocket though, always have. It's instinctual for me to grab for my right pocket for my knife.

Both of the knives have 14mm holes which I have come to love extremely. It's so different having used a smaller hole before. Both knives are also full flat grind, though, you hear more about the Para-Military coming razor sharp out of the box than any other knife for some reason. Nothing much else comes to mind.

If the only thing keeping you from the Paramilitary is the compression lock, I say go for it, don't let that stop you. You'll love it. Of course I could have said the same about the size and weight of the mini manix when I MYSELF was considering the two. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of these knives, they are both great.

If you want a mini-manix, you should get it soon becuase it is supposedly going out of production soon. Don't expect spare parts to come easy if it does.
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
TVOSK

Post by TVOSK »

No question...the Para-Military.....best knife I have ever owned...
Native Justice

Post by Native Justice »

Easy answer, buy them both and return the one that doesn't quite fit you. Done this plenty of times and is the easiest route to take with no risk. Personally. I like the bigger daddies of both and ended up keeping them both. Good luck.

NJ
Be safe.

NJ

“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai
BOK

Post by BOK »

For me the Para wins this battle every time. The Manix is too bulky in my pocket.

With the I feel like I'm getting the same cutting ability but in a slimmer package...handles also fit my hand better than the Manix.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Myself, I agree with all posts, and replies in this thread; With this said, I personally prefer the Manix/mini for edc for its lock strength, thick/robust blade, and of course, 4-way clip options for us lefties, and those who like to switch the clip carry from tip-up/Lh, to tip-down/Rh, etc. If you are looking to go light, and still have great lock strength, the Para is just as good a choice as the Manix. I own a few of both, and love them both. Good times!
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
Cuccos19

Post by Cuccos19 »

Somewhere I've read that Military/Paramilitary has made for hard streets (rather weapon), and Manix/Mini Manix has made for tripping/outdooring (rather tool). Well, Millie's open back is easier to keep it clean, which can be a point at outdooring for me, but Manixes are more sturdier. Stronger handle, not as needle sharp and fragile point as Millies. So I not totally agree with this statement. And for SD, maybe Manix is more useful in that point, to hit with its strong and pointed butt-end. But Millies avaible with black blade, what I personally perfer at nighttime. So my friend, think about that for what and how would you use your knife, and after make decision. Anyway, both Spydie could be a trusty "pal" of you.
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

As an edc, I think the paramilitary is a better choice. The full sized manix is heavy and bulky and probably overkill for edc tasks. I used to (long time ago) carry a manix but now I carry a military. Weight makes a huge difference IMO.
sharkattack

Post by sharkattack »

Chucula wrote:As an edc, I think the paramilitary is a better choice. The full sized manix is heavy and bulky and probably overkill for edc tasks.
I'm interested in the Mini Manix, not the full size.
My collection so far: Delica SS PE, Delica 4 FRN PE, Endura FRN SE, Manix 2 G10 PE. Since I've officially been bitten by the bug, the collection is sure to grow... :)
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

sharkattack wrote:I'm interested in the Mini Manix, not the full size.
I see. My post was more about the military vs manix anyway, but the argument is the same--less weight is what I like and what I think will work for you as an edc.
sharkattack

Post by sharkattack »

Chucula wrote:I see. My post was more about the military vs manix anyway, but the argument is the same--less weight is what I like and what I think will work for you as an edc.
What's wierd is at times I really like the FRN Delica 4 I have as an EDC, but it's almost 'too light' if you know what I mean. I kind of like feeling a little bit of heft to a knife in my pocket.

However, the fact that the blade on the Mini Manix is only a touch bigger than the blade on the Delica 4 I already have, I may look for another model. If the blade on the Mini Manix was about 3-1/2" it'd be my next knife for sure.

I'm picking up my Native tonight, so maybe that will fill the gap nicely. Until then, my credit card will be breathing a sigh of relief that I'll be holding off until I'm 100% certain of which Spydie I want next.
My collection so far: Delica SS PE, Delica 4 FRN PE, Endura FRN SE, Manix 2 G10 PE. Since I've officially been bitten by the bug, the collection is sure to grow... :)
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

sharkattack wrote:What's wierd is at times I really like the FRN Delica 4 I have as an EDC, but it's almost 'too light' if you know what I mean. I kind of like feeling a little bit of heft to a knife in my pocket.
Yeah I know what you mean. G-10 with small or no liners is the solution to your problem (if your problem is finding a light handle material that still has some heft) :D
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Definitely the Manix over the Para.

Mini or full size - either one - tha Manix is the best Spyder IMO.

Hold out for the new revamped version of the Para. I've had two and each one developed blade play pretty quickly because of the comp lock. When the new Para comes out, that is when I'll try one out again. But then again, my brother has a Para that doesn't have the slightest hint of blade play.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
SpydercoKnut

Post by SpydercoKnut »

I have handled both of them and the Mini Manix gets the nod from me but not buy much and you can't go wrong with either one of them

:spyder:
Lusting for a Spyderco in A2 or 154cm

:spyder: