i need a knife for my dad!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LOOKABIRD

i need a knife for my dad!

Post by LOOKABIRD »

HELP, HELP! I am a huge spydie fan and im hoping to turn my dad onto them too. For Christmas i want to get him an EDC. I don't think he carries a knife now but im sure that as soon as he starts carrying a Spyderco he will never leave home without it. He is 57 and works as a CEO of an internet telephone company. He has been known to varry his wardrobe from a suit to a denim shirt and jeans. He doesn't thing serrations are necessary so I'm going to go with a PE. I want to get him somethign useful, yet classy and something that will do him justice. I was thinking between a Centofante III, Caly3 G10 or a Delica4 SS PE. If you have any ideas or other suggestions please let me know, I want to know what I'm going to get him a while before Christmas so I have a while to find one and buy it. THANKS!!!!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Caly 3 in CF
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

If it's for your dad, I would buy something really nice. So no Delica for me.
My dad (same age) loves his Volpe and R2. Both are beautifull knives.
Maybe a Kopa with some nice wood or something?
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

C93 Navigator II in plain edge. Discontinued now but still available through online sources. Classy little knife that would fit the full range of dress options that you noted. It's a workhorse!
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
DelicaDarling

Post by DelicaDarling »

If you're looking for a knife thats useful, yet classy, i would go with the Centofante III.
LOOKABIRD

Post by LOOKABIRD »

thanks for the replies, guys. i nevereven thought about the kopa. i likedthe delica because it was really popular and the centofante because itwas pretty adn cheap. i was really leaning toward the caly3 g10 but the cf might be better because it would also put less wear on his pockets if he clips it. I'll look into the kopa. its a really cool little knife. OH i jsut realized that the first knife he ever got me had whale bone inserts. does the kopa come with darkened whale bone? or bone in general?
LOOKABIRD

Post by LOOKABIRD »

the only negative i can fidn about the kopa is that its really tiny. the cutting edge isnt even 2 inches. while the caly 3 is about a half inch longer by the dimensions on the spyderco website. Im gravitationg more and more toward the caly3. does anyone have experience with it as an EDC? i really want to know that im making the right choice.
Thalestin

Post by Thalestin »

I think the caly 3 is a great knife. Id still edc mine but sadly mine has a bit of vertical blade play and I cant stand it=(. Im a little bit anal that way...
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i'd say a kopa also or maybe a kiwi with some cool scales. check out deacon's site for some different ideas. the kiwi is small but if he never edc a knife it could be a good way for him to get used to carrying one and it shouldn't freak out anybody when he pulls it out to use. the added bonus is that it is clipless and nobody has to know he has it on him.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
LOOKABIRD

Post by LOOKABIRD »

i didntthink abotuthe kiwi either. and it has jigged boen as an inlay option. so now its a matter of if i want to spend the extra money on the caly3. is it better than the kiwi? it looks more user-friendly
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

LOOKABIRD, I think you have some excellent choices there - all three are nice and nice sized. The SS Delica may be a bit heavy for a suit. Out of your choices there, I would definately go with the Caly 3 - simply awesome knife!

- best wishes, Jazz.
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

I got my grandfather a red bone kiwi for Christmas last year and he really seems to love it.
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

I would go for the Caly 3 LOOKABIRD. :)
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
bowarrow2000

Post by bowarrow2000 »

Don't over look the UK Pen knife. Not a bad choice either.
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

Centofante 3 is the real gentleman knife for me. Still need to buy one. If ever it comes out with smooth CF handles, I'll be all over it right away.

Sal ? :)
Help science, join Folding@Home !
LOOKABIRD

Post by LOOKABIRD »

thanks guys! i think im going to go with the caly3. does anyone know where i can get one for a low price? if anyone is selling one, either CF or G10 i would love to know.

much appreciated

Tom
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

I would say the CF Caly or a Kopa.
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

LOOKABIRD wrote:thanks guys! i think im going to go with the caly3. does anyone know where i can get one for a low price? if anyone is selling one, either CF or G10 i would love to know.

much appreciated

Tom
http://www.newgraham.com
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
malice4you

Post by malice4you »

I'd also think even the SS dragonfly might be a good one, especially if he'll use it around other people.

I'm personally looking for a 'dress knife' to add to my rotation for when I'm out and need something more 'dressy' than the knives I currently own. I'm looking into a Caly3, a Dragonfly, and Volpe (and knowing me, I'll own all three so I have a 'formal' EDC rotation too).

I gave my father a Spyderco Jester a number of years ago, and he now EDC's it, and finds it useful. However, watching him dig it out of his pocket and open it two-handed is painful. I've thought about other little big knives for him, especially the dragonfly so he has a clip option, as well as a flat grind. However, my father doesn't seem to especially like carrying a knife clipped (not that he has tried, but he's against it from the start it seems.) Be aware that you might not be able to get your dad to change his preconceptions easilly - he might carry it loose in his pockets anyway.

If you don't know how he'll be with a knife, I'd say a dragonfly or caly is a nice way to guage his reaction. If he carries it all the time, talk to him about it and see how he feels - is it too bulky, too small, etc. He might also like an FRN model for those jeans days, and a volpe in other days.

for reference, the list of knives I considered or still consider for the formal EDC are: micro dyad, volpe, dragonfly, native SS, caly3, delica SS, Navigator II, Lava; to a lesser extent, persian 75mm, scorpius, centofante III, minimanix, and probably a couple others that I'm forgetting.

I dunno what you're looking to spend, I was looking at Santa Fe Knifeworks' site yesterday, and a dragonfly with a customized handle was a somewhat reasonable $165, would be a very unique knife, and would be a nice dressy knife that's unlikely to scare even non-knife-people (they might even ask to see it up close).
JD Spydo

Ward Cleaver

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I bet your dad is a pretty conservative guy. I'm sure him and Ward Cleaver are a lot alike ;) . So you want to get dad something modest but yet effective. Therefore I have 2 very pragmatic folders to recommend to your fine dad. First off it's about time that Dad got himself a decent Hawkbill. I think to start him off with a VG-10 Civilian. Or maybe something modest with an FRN handle like a Spyderhawk :eek: .

Seriously though I think there are 2 folders that would be slam dunk for your dad. Either a Micarta handled Calypso Jr and/or an older Rookie if you can find one. Either one of those 2 would certainly meet all of his cutting needs. But I bet he would dig the Hawkbills too :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!