Looking Back AT: The MERLIN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Looking Back AT: The MERLIN

Post by JD Spydo »

Yes that's right I said the MERLIN. Are some of you surprised? Most of you think of the Merlin as one of Spyderco's more economical FRN blades and it is that. But in the succession of progress that Spyderco has made in the Hawkbill arena the MERLIN has played more of a pivotal role in the progression of not only Hawkbills but in the progression of hard use knives and corrosion proof knives as well. Hence the Salt Series. Hence it's stellar blood brother the TASMAN.

The one Merlin I lost a year ago April I still languish over. Because the more you use a knife the more you can see the importance in it ( RIGHT Manix Guy ???) and the more you find it to be a necesary tool. I've even referred to the Merlin as an FRN HARPY. Some would think that I am talking down the Merlin>> not at all> Let's look at that comment for a second. That's not a condescending remark at all. Comparing anything to the Harpy is truly complimentary in my book. And if you need a Harpy that is impervious to corrosion and has total ease of cleaning then there are certainly many instances in which the Merlin plays a role and can certainly be advantageous in many cutting chores in harsh environments.

The TASMAN undoubtedly owes it's accolades and high status to it's predecessor the THE MERLIN because the Merlin not only paved the way for it, but it paved the way for a bunch of hard users with FRN handles and made Hawkbills seem more practical than they had previously been perceived.

The Merlin will go down as a significant Spyderco Hawkbill model in the line of progression. Not to mention that it is a great tool for fishermen and many other demanding/harsh work environments. Also a great beginner's Hawkbill as well. And not a bad one to end up with. :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Merlin ? I carry one everyday ! Why ? It does the job at work and in the yard at home . Perfect size for getting big or small jobs done . I have always been happy with ATS 55 steel the Merlin is a complete package for a small hawkbill . Someday need to find another to pack away . MG2
Majidoc

Post by Majidoc »

I EDC my Merlin. Always have...always will.
Life is a process not an event!
JD Spydo

Sucession of user Hawkbills

Post by JD Spydo »

I am finding that more people than I ever imagined are carrying EDC either the Merlin or the TASMAN. That even surprises me in a way. I knew that there were some Hawkbill fans out there but there's more EDC Hawkbill users than I even thought there were.

I sure liked the handiness and the lightweight of the MERLIN and TASMAN both. The only reason I took my TASMAN out of my EDC rotation was because I obtained a User G-10 Harpy and it is a really superb little Hawkbill. G-10 does that knife justice.

Also it's interesting to see so much interest in the TASMAN. I just have to believe that the MERLIN truly did pave the way.
Agent Starling

thoughts on Merlin and Tasman

Post by Agent Starling »

I really like my Merlin, and have used it a lot. The Tasman has probably been my least used hawkbill...and least carried, probably because it's tip up, and I don't quite trust tip up for IWB carry. :spyder:

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
catamount

Post by catamount »

Agent Starling wrote:I really like my Merlin, and have used it a lot. The Tasman has probably been my least used hawkbill...and least carried, probably because it's tip up, and I don't quite trust tip up for IWB carry.
The FRN Merlin is tip up as well :confused:

I don't see that the FRN Merlin offers any real advantage over the Tasman, as a user.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
catamount

Post by catamount »

This hawkbill with G10 scales (top) from Deacon's page is listed there as a Harpy.

http://paulberetta.com/hawkbills.htm

JD,

is this the same knife that you are calling a G10 Merlin?
Tom

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
catamount

Post by catamount »

This hawkbill with G10 scales (top) from Deacon's page is listed there as a Harpy.

http://paulberetta.com/hawkbills.htm

Agent Starling,

is this the knife that you have?
Tom

Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

catamount wrote:The FRN Merlin is tip up as well :confused:

I don't see that the FRN Merlin offers any real advantage over the Tasman, as a user.
I guess if it is, I hadn't noticed! :o I've never tried to carry it, it's strictly been a user Spydie. :spyder:

Agent Starling
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

A while ago I got a Merlin/SE from my great serrations friend Wotanson(Rob) as a bonus to a trade :cool: :cool:

I haven't actually used it because I heard so many bad rep about ATS55 and rusting. That is one of the main reasons I don't EDC my blue ATS55 Delica very much either.

I lost my Tasman/SE at work, my CF Harpy is my son's favourite :( :D and my SS Harpy devellopped too much play, so I am hawkbill less at the moment.

Maybe I should order me another Tasman/SE or take my chances with my Merlin.

The Merlin is a mighty fine knife though.

And I really like a hawkbill as a EDC.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
JD Spydo

A cure for rust>> actually 2 cures

Post by JD Spydo »

spydutch wrote:A while ago I got a Merlin/SE from my great serrations friend Wotanson(Rob) as a bonus to a trade :cool: :cool:

I haven't actually used it because I heard so many bad rep about ATS55 and rusting. That is one of the main reasons I don't EDC my blue ATS55 Delica very much either.

I lost my Tasman/SE at work, my CF Harpy is my son's favourite :( :D and my SS Harpy devellopped too much play, so I am hawkbill less at the moment.

Maybe I should order me another Tasman/SE or take my chances with my Merlin.

The Merlin is a mighty fine knife though.

And I really like a hawkbill as a EDC.
Arend my friend I just got to set you straight on ATS-55. I truly think this blade steel is getting bum rap. Because the only stainless blade steels that I've never been able to put rust on are X-15 TN & H-1. So I don't know what your circumstances were when you got rust on one of your ATS-55 blades and it doesn't matter because I have a cure for it.

There is a great company called "Sentry Solutions" who have a sterling product called "Tuf-Cloth". I don't care if your blade is 52100 high carbon steel because if you rub it down with Tuf-Cloth you won't have any rust period.

So now you have absolutely no excuse what so ever to not EDC that Merlin. And let me tell you I've had VG-10 rust easier on me than I've had ATS-55 rust on me. Also the Flitz company who makes that great polish we all love and use also make a metal wax that I use on a lot of my fixed blades. And I've never had a fixed blade rust that I've used Flitz metal wax on. OK Arend you have no excuses at all.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have a question for you hawkbill gurus. is the merlin and the tasman the exact same shape...i know they look very similiar but is one blade more curved that the other? any differences besides the steel? thanks. i own a yellow se and a black pe tasman.
tony
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
JD Spydo

H vs M vs T

Post by JD Spydo »

tonydahose wrote:i have a question for you hawkbill gurus. is the merlin and the tasman the exact same shape...i know they look very similiar but is one blade more curved that the other? any differences besides the steel? thanks. i own a yellow se and a black pe tasman.
tony
I have found the TASMAN and MERLIN virtual identical twins in blade geometry and handle. Now I've always found the Harpy irrespective of which handle it has to have a significantly thicker blade with a thicker spine and my G-10 Harpy is much thicker at the tip over the MERLIN and TASMAN both.

It appears to me like my 2 Harpys have slightly more bend to them and the handlles are thicker on all the Harpys. But for all intent and purposes they are all capable of the same chores IMO. Personally I think the G-10 Harpy tops them all but the MERLIN truly paved the way for the TASMAN and the TASMAN is truly winning over more people to the Hawkbill each day. They are affordable and practical. Whereas the Harpy is bit more for the Hawkbill purist and for users that plan on owning one long term.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

agreed, if the Tasman wasn't quite affordable I wouldn't have the chance to try if I like hawkbill or not. Now I know that even though hawkbill is interesting, I will have to wait for what I like before I purchase the next one, something like a flat grind PE VG-10 or S30V blade with a G10 handle, 3" blade 4" handle. Sounds close to a Superhawk doesn't it?
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

LowTEC wrote:agreed, if the Tasman wasn't quite affordable I wouldn't have the chance to try if I like hawkbill or not. Now I know that even though hawkbill is interesting, I will have to wait for what I like before I purchase the next one, something like a flat grind PE VG-10 or S30V blade with a G10 handle, 3" blade 4" handle. Sounds close to a Superhawk doesn't it?
And a Superhawk looks close to a sickle, at least to my eye... ;) :D

Agent Starling
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Let me jump onto the I'm a big fan of the Merlin Bandwagon....I EDC one everyday and it has become my most used Spyderco for daily chores and tasks, don't know where I'd be without my Merlin ;) Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
JD Spydo

Merlin EDC: What a surprise?

Post by JD Spydo »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Let me jump onto the I'm a big fan of the Merlin Bandwagon....I EDC one everyday and it has become my most used Spyderco for daily chores and tasks, don't know where I'd be without my Merlin ;) Doc :D
Even over on Bladeforums in the last month I've run into a couple of guys who EDC a Merlin. This is truly interesting. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all because when you think about it the Merlin is truly an ideal EDC. You are less apt to lose one and they are so lightweight and handy to have around.

Again the Merlin really paved the way for the TASMAN. Maybe the specialty steel was all that was needed to give this model sort of a head start. For as little of fanfare as the Merlin got when it was in the line up it's really interesting to see how quickly they've become coveted in such a short time.

It's also interesting to note that there are many more Merlin owner's bragging up their knife here of late than there are owner of the Harpy doing so.
Agent Starling

in a class by itself...

Post by Agent Starling »

JD Spydo wrote:It's also interesting to note that there are many more Merlin owner's bragging up their knife here of late than there are owner of the Harpy doing so.
ah, well, I guess the Harpy deserves a thread of its own, then... :cool:

Agent Starling
deeker

Post by deeker »

I'm carrying my PE Merlin today, inspired by this thread.
JD Spydo

Good Day For Hawkbills

Post by JD Spydo »

deeker wrote:I'm carrying my PE Merlin today, inspired by this thread.
This is really encouraging. Spyderville's finer citizens are speaking out on the Merlin in an unprecedented manner :cool: So much for the naysayers who consistently give "thumbs down" for these great Spyders. Also it just goes to prove that if you honestly give the Hawkbill a fair trail you'll soon see it's positive attributes. This is a good day :)