Fun Place

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re:

Post by awa54 »

sal wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2000 8:25 pm
RLR - Thanx. Information, humor (some of these guys are downright "interesting").

We'll see what we can make of it.

sal

I'd say that Spyderco's "new" endeavor has worked out fairly well! It's also cool that the two people on the OP are both active here almost 21 years later... think of how many forums have come and gone in that time.

I was 32 back then and hadn't yet become a convert to pocket clips or the Spydiehole, though I unknowingly owned Spyderco knives (a couple Solos and Mokis) and had a CS small Voyager (I resisted the tanto and went for a clip blade), that used the same integral FRN clip design and likely came out of the same factory as the early Delica family knives.

The fuel for my knife mania back then was the periodic arrival of the A. G. Russell catalog... sadly, the enabling here *much* better! ;)

Thanks to Sal and everyone else who has built this haven/school for the Spyder-addicted over the decades!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Eratus

Re: Fun Place

Post by Eratus »

Fun year and date!

I was working as a bartender on Mallorca, Spain. Was a pretty crazy time to be sure. I was 23 at the time.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

1999 was a huge year for me. I sold everything that I owned, cashed in my 401k. With the funds I bought a Suzuki GSX-R750 and camping gear and headed to the San Bernardino National Forest to camp for 6 weeks in the Fall. In 2000 I landed my first job out of college in Silicon Valley as a NOC Analyst.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

In 2000, I was 18 and getting ready to graduate from homeschool (homeschooled K-12). That year, a lot of folks were going crazy with stockpiling food and supplies while anxiously waiting for the fallout from the “Y2K” scare (it never came).
I was aware of Spyderco, but didn’t own any of their knives due to lack of funds. It wasn’t until 2001 that I finally had enough money to start delving into the world of Spyderco. My goal back then was to become a full-time knifemaker. Plans changed, however, after my father passed away unexpectedly in July ‘01. I ended up going to college, where I met my wife. (She was the best thing from my college experience). I still make knives, but on a part-time basis. Funny how the “curve balls” in life sometimes work out in your favor.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I was 23 at the time and still a student, living in a shoe-box apartment. I had already discovered Spyderco and was probably either carrying a Military, Moran or a Lil' Temp. I was also a member of these forums at the time.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram