ATR for sheeple friendly EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kn00b

ATR for sheeple friendly EDC?

Post by Kn00b »

Lately I've found myself carrying only a muti-tool due to "sheeple influence". But I definately miss having a 'real' knife for cutting chores.

I like my Yojimbos and thought the blue one would be potentially sheeple friendly due to color but find they both just sit in the drawer or I'm too leary of pulling them out to use in public.

Would the ATR possibly solve this problem with its more utilitarian look? I've been wrong before on this mindset hoping the Yojimbo would look enough like a boxcutter to fly under the radar though.

So should I sell off the Yo's hiding in my drawer and start carrying an ATR or would it be destined for the same fate?

Any advice?
Whoever said you can't buy happiness must not have had to pay for their Spyderco's. :spyder:
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: NKPs see the ATR as huge. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: NKPs see the ATR as huge. :spyder:
Heck, I see the ATR as huge.

I think the best way is to either have a classy mid sized knife (like a micarta caly jr or a mini persian), or to carry a smaller blade along with your large blade. I used to love to pair up my cricket with any of my large blades, man I miss that little guy.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Kn00b

Post by Kn00b »

Looks like two votes against it so far. I understand the idea about backing it up with a Cricket but that kind of puts me back where I am now. Same reason I wouldn't own a Millie as I'd feel that I could never justify its carry.

Maybe I need to stick with just the Leatherman :mad: Hmmm.
Whoever said you can't buy happiness must not have had to pay for their Spyderco's. :spyder:
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I have 3 atrs', and LOVE them...But, to try to answer your question, most people I would think would consider this blade as HUGE, and personally isn't something I use in a eat out setting. Like the other gentleman said, pairing up a small, classy folder with your atr(which I sugjest you buy)would be ideal for going out. Atr is a good choice!
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

Kn00b wrote:Maybe I need to stick with just the Leatherman :mad: Hmmm.
:spyder: or a spyderwrench :spyder:

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am working for manufacturing company and several people here carry knives (mostly: spyder: ). Usually I carry R2, Caly3 and Kopa, but I am bringing my other knives (C83 Persian, Milly, Lil T, Dodo) once in a while. ATR was the only knife, which received a comment:” This knife looks intimidating" from the person, who carries Delica4 or Native2. So I can only imagine a reaction from sheeple.
And do not sell off the Yo, or you will sorry later.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Don't sell that Yo! :spyder:

bluemist

Post by bluemist »

I've only had two comments on my knives, both times the ATR, one guy made a big deal about it being unnecessary then showed me his Buck, I then showed him that the blades were the EXACT SAME size!

Then a few weeks later a guy complimented by ATR by calling it "THAT EVIL KNIFE"

So, no.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
merciful

Post by merciful »

Kn00b wrote:Lately I've found myself carrying only a muti-tool due to "sheeple influence".

(snip)

Any advice?
Yeah: screw them.
Those who give up their freedom for safety will soon find that they have neither.[SIZE="-1"][/size]
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

ATR is the furthest thing to being sheeple friendly. The thing just looks scary :D
ballistic

Post by ballistic »

[quote="Kn00b"] Same reason I wouldn't own a Millie as I'd feel that I could never justify its carry. /QUOTE]

Justify? How about "regret".
"I regret i only had a (cricket/ladybug....) when confronted by that grumpy pitbull with no owner in site." Dont be this person !! ;) Carry a large folder for true multi-tasking, but also carry a mini for faint-of-heart viewers.

This thread reminds me, time to rotate the ss Worker and grab something else.... AHH ! the Caly3 will do nicely :D
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

If you decide to go for a multitool after all, I suggest the Spyderench, Charge TTI, or Charge AL. I only have the TTI (I love it!) but I know they all have good blade steel, a pocket clip, and are well-made. I think that blade steel becomes much more important on a multitool if you don't plan to supplement it with another knife.
Kn00b

Post by Kn00b »

Alteran wrote:If you decide to go for a multitool after all, I suggest the Spyderench, Charge TTI, or Charge AL. I only have the TTI (I love it!)
I've been EDCing a TTI for the past month or so and do like it. Although it hasn't failed me in anything I have to say that shipping duties (cutting boxes, tape, etc.) are more enjoyable with a proper knife. But I'd be leary of say pulling out a Yojimbo at the post office to start trimming duct tape off a larger box before shipping it out.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

People are afraid of anything that looks pointy, or that looks like a claw (thus, even the Cricket looks scary to most people).

My suggestion would be the Ocelot. Very gradual curves on that knife, not to mention the paw prints.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

I love the ATR, but wow.....really far from people friendly.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Definitely not a sheeple friendly knife. Try a Dragonfly or maybe a Byrd Robin or even the Flatbyrd. None of them should raise eyebrows, but all are competent for opening boxes/cutting tape.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I'll second the Ocelot. It is perceived as rather 'cute' due to the paw prints, plus it is a great knife in it's own right.
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

aj1985 wrote:ATR is the furthest thing to being sheeple friendly. The thing just looks scary :D
And yet my beautiful wife, who has seen enough of my knives that she does not notice them any more, has called the ATR "cute" on more than one occasion. :D
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

bluemist wrote:Then a few weeks later a guy complimented by ATR by calling it "THAT EVIL KNIFE"
Oh, puh-LEEZE! Evil?! I guess it'll be a long day in the coldest level of Dante's Inferno before most people accept that one can own a knife as a utility tool or as pocket jewelry... :(

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."