Blanchard Eagle Police Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This thread is so zombie, I wouldn't even know where to start. Where is Deacon when we need him?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

xceptnl wrote:This thread is so zombie, I wouldn't even know where to start. Where is Deacon when we need him?
Fast asleep. :D

Can't be a whole lot of help, either, as it's been a year or more since I followed Spyderco prices on eBay the way I use to, so I have no real information on current value. Can say that, a few years back the serrated ones were bringing $225 to $250, and occasionally more, and the plain edged ones brought even higher prices.

I also suspect that eBay is still the best place to look for an existing one, but there may be another option as well. A quick check on Google shows that Gary Blanchard is still making knives and, although he seems more into high end art knives now, he may, or may not, still have the parts and be willing to assemble a "flying eagle" overlay casting and apply it to a current SS Police. Only way to know is to contact him and ask.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bill Kozloff

Post by Bill Kozloff »

Do you think this knife on eBay can buy for $300?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hard to say Bill. Interest level is normally the driving force for prices on the secondary market. I haven't followed prices there for quite a while so I have no idea if interest in Spydercos with Gary Blanchard engraved overlays has increased, decreased, or remained about the same. I can tell you it's more than I paid for any of mine, including my plain edged one. However, the last time I bought one was 7 or 8 years ago, and some of the knives I bought back then are now worth considerably more than I paid, but some are worth considerably less, so that doesn't mean much. I can tell you there's a Spyderco Hunter with the Blanchard "Wolf" overlay for sale on eBay right now, with a BIN price of $350. But a BIN price doesn't mean anything unless and until someone actually purchases the item. The Wolf overlay Hunter was always the least popular of the three Blanchard embellished Spydercos, and the most I ever saw a Wolf overlay Hunter sell for was less than half that, so my guess would be that $350 is wishful thinking on the seller's part, but you never know. Mr. Blanchard is now creating very high end art knives, but I have no idea whether that has increased interest in his earlier work, and particularly in the Spyderco knives he embellished.
Paul
remnar

Post by remnar »

The Deacon wrote:Hard to say Bill. Interest level is normally the driving force for prices on the secondary market. I haven't followed prices there for quite a while so I have no idea if interest in Spydercos with Gary Blanchard engraved overlays has increased, decreased, or remained about the same. I can tell you it's more than I paid for any of mine, including my plain edged one. However, the last time I bought one was 7 or 8 years ago, and some of the knives I bought back then are now worth considerably more than I paid, but some are worth considerably less, so that doesn't mean much. I can tell you there's a Spyderco Hunter with the Blanchard "Wolf" overlay for sale on eBay right now, with a BIN price of $350. But a BIN price doesn't mean anything unless and until someone actually purchases the item. The Wolf overlay Hunter was always the least popular of the three Blanchard embellished Spydercos, and the most I ever saw a Wolf overlay Hunter sell for was less than half that, so my guess would be that $350 is wishful thinking on the seller's part, but you never know. Mr. Blanchard is now creating very high end art knives, but I have no idea whether that has increased interest in his earlier work, and particularly in the Spyderco knives he embellished.
I have two of the Blanchard Hunters with the Wolf design and if I thought that I could get $350 for one, then it would be listed immediately. I've seen them for sale for around $200 and not attract a buyer. I think that seller is a little off if that's what he expects, but It would be nice for me if I'm wrong.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

I think you are correct, the interest in the Blanchard models seems to not be as high as it once was (anecdotally, from my watching eBay). That's not to say they aren't amazing knives, but maybe most of the people who are interested in acquiring them have already done so. My guess is you would probably get half that.

Also, I think you mean Pro-Venators (C13) not Hunters (C03). To my knowledge the Hunter was never embellished (at least as a regular production model that is).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bengaiser wrote:I think you are correct, the interest in the Blanchard models seems to not be as high as it once was (anecdotally, from my watching eBay). That's not to say they aren't amazing knives, but maybe most of the people who are interested in acquiring them have already done so. My guess is you would probably get half that.

Also, I think you mean Pro-Venators (C13) not Hunters (C03). To my knowledge the Hunter was never embellished (at least as a regular production model that is).
You are correct, the catalogs list the Blanchard embellished "Lone Wolf" and "ScreamingEagle" knives as Pro-Venators and their wide blades confirm that. For some reason I've always thought of them as Hunters. Obviously an error on my part, but possibly because the idea of doing an overlay over the void left by the Kraton on the C13 seems odd and possibly because I was under the mistaken impression they were contemporaneous with the David Yellowhorse Hunter.

As an aside Massad Ayoob use to have a website for the Lethal Force Institute. That site is gone now, but up until a four or five years ago his ex-wife had a page on it called "Dot's Attic", and had both the "Lone Wolf" and "ScreamingEagle" Pro-Venators for sale. IIRC, the price was $150, perhaps $175.
Paul
remnar

Post by remnar »

The Blanchard Pro-Venator was one of my first Spydies. My wife bought it for me, and when I told her it was too nice to carry she got me the Kraton model. It's seen a lot of pocket time.

UK KEN

Re: Blanchard Eagle Police Model

Post by UK KEN »

Hello All, I'm reviving this thread as I have been out of touch for so long and would like you to consider the current values of the Blanchard Police and Pro-Venators. All comments very welcome. Cheers.
UK KEN

Post by UK KEN »

Answered my own question.....Gary Blanchard Police Eagle now $340.00 n his site.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

The last two Police Blanchard Eagles I followed on ebay , pre-owned but unused, went for $169 and $189 six and four months ago. The one for $189 listed for $249 twice for ten days each, then $199 unsold for ten days, then went for sole starting bid of $189. A Bighorn Provenator (gorgeous) kept relisting in similar fashion, finally sold for $179 IIRC. (?October?)

good luck,
nicked.onaut
UK KEN

Post by UK KEN »

Thank you. I have just sold the Police Blanchard to a UK buyer.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I sold a couple of Blanchards about ten years ago. IIRC they went for around 150. They just have never been hot sellers IMO. It looks like they still sell slightly above that range.