Native Observation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluntrauma

Native Observation

Post by Bluntrauma »

I don't own but 6 Spyerdo's so maybe this isn't a good observation at all, but, has anyone else noted the thin strip of steel on the native between the coil/jimping (?) and the top of the hole? Has anyone had breakage at this point or think that it might be more apt to break because of the small amount of metal supporting this area? I have had no issue with my native but I have wondered from time to time if I dropped it, would it stand the test. Just wondering.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Bluntrauma wrote: Has anyone had breakage at this point or think that it might be more apt to break because of the small amount of metal supporting this area?
No and No.

I've been carrying Natives for years and never had any problem.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I doubt this would be a place for breakage, steel is rather strong and it is not a very high force area there.

I have heard/seen a couple other spydies crack through the hole though. One here complained about a SPOT cracking, and I have a worker that I bought with a crack through the top of the hole (but, I bought it used with a large amount of the tip broken off too)
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

The Native is one tough blade if my dozen or so Natives are anything to go by. Don't think you should have a problem with yours at all, unless of course the one you have is a defective one :rolleyes:

You'll find that your fingers/ wrist will get sore before the knife breaks. If that is the case then you should be using a different tool to a pocket knife such as a Native..... maybe a Manix :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The steel at that point is at least as thick, or thicker than the thickness of the blade itself. There are also a number of models with even smaller cross-sections between the top of the :spyder: hole and the spine and, IIRC, no complaints of breakage at that point on any of them. So no, I cannot see it ever being a problem unless the user does something intentionally destructive, like smacking the spine at that location with a splitting maul.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Hey guys thanks for your opinions. I have had no issue at all with the knife and have given it a pretty good work out. I have just looked at the area from time to time and thought "what if it took a good whack." It does seem to be a very tough knife. Love it!!!
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.