Have you lost a Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Did you lose a Spyderco?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 59

MNJON

Have you lost a Spyderco?

Post by MNJON »

I'm curious how many have ever lost a Spyderco when carrying it in your pocket with the pocket clip? I had a nice Left handed Rescue years ago and lost it. I had carried it for 6 months or more, but lost it when hunting one time. Not sure how/when.. but it must have got caught and pulled out of my pocket.

So..... is it common or not that common?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm not really sure how to answer this. I had the wire clip on my first MeerKat snag on something in a tenant's apartment and pull the knife out of my pocket. She later returned it to me (locked open, she couldn't figure out how to close it) so I can't really say I lost it. I have lost a couple of non-Spyderco knives I was carrying clipped, but that 'Kat was the only Spydie to go AWOL.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

P.s. Welcome To The Forum!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Darnit, I voted before I read the post. I have lost a spydie recently, I had my cricket out and was playing with it in a computer lab, and then I forgot to repocket it when I left.

But with the pocket clip, no. I've had a couple close calls when my coat pulled the clip out of my pocket, but I've never lost one that way.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
griff76

Post by griff76 »

I lost a Tasman PE a couple of months ago. I was shore fishing and was throwing my throw net to get some bait. The net caught the clip and took it for a ride into the ocean. My brother and I put on the masks and snorkle's, but it was too rough that close to shore so visability was minimal. We did see 5 or 6 large tarpon while we were out there which was a kick (didn't catch on though).
I lost an old Delica years ago while getting calves out of a cow corral.
"There was never a good knife made out of bad steel"
-Benjamin Franklin
Darrell3644

Post by Darrell3644 »

I have probably lost at least four enduras over the years and one other model that had a belthook on it. I can't remember the model name
MNJON

Post by MNJON »

yablanowitz wrote:P.s. Welcome To The Forum!
Thanks for the welcome!!

I have a new Caly 3 on the way and I am a little nervous about carrying it clipped in my front pocket. I don't like the idea of losing a good knife like that! I had a Sebenza and took the clip off, only carried it DEEP in the pocket... but that is not so fast to retrieve if needed.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

I haven't lost any when using the clip, but I have lost a lava by carrying without. With it's weight and size and slick stainless steel, it slid out of my pocket a number of times. Getting in and out of a car, sitting on a couch, etc. etc.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Most of my clip-related losses have been from leg pockets on carpenter jeans, with one being plucked out of a back pocket. All occurred while operating tractors, skid-steer loaders and dump trucks. I wouldn't worry too much about front pocket carry, especially with the wire clip.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Welcom MNJON!
MNJON wrote:I have a new Caly 3 on the way and I am a little nervous about carrying it clipped in my front pocket. I don't like the idea of losing a good knife like that!
sometimes ya gotta live dangerously ;) Have fun w/your new Caly 3!! :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Agent Starling

new knife superstition

Post by Agent Starling »

never vote No on a "did you lose your knife poll" :spyder:

I just did and now I'm worried I'll lose a spyder :eek:

that would freak me out because I'm a huge neat fanatic and everything has it's place...when i lose something it's like a big shock! :eek:

if you believe any of the above (except the last sentence :cool: ) I've got some great swampland in the Mojave desert for ya... ;)

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Misplace one "occasionally" among the clutter of my living space. Have given a bunch away as gifts. But can't say I've ever lost a Spyderco. However, since I rarely ever use a clip, I refrained from voting.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MNJON,
Welcome to the Forum,
Enjoy your stay.
The answer on your question: Thanks God, NO.
I misplaced my Caly3 shortly after I bought it, I thought I will have stroke or heart attack. Thanks God I found her.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
KaliGman

I lost an Endura

Post by KaliGman »

I lost my first Spyderco, an Endura with integral FRN clip (purchased in 1992), near the Mexican Border while working a surveillance operation :( . The FRN clips, after a lot of carry, would "stretch" a bit, leaving the knife somewhat loosely clipped. I prefer the metal clips.

In the same area, I bailed out of an SUV and snagged a Yojimbo clip on the door , bending the clip about 90 degrees. A quick call to Kristi had a replacement clip on the way and I never lost the knife :) .
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
knarfeng

Post by knarfeng »

Lost a Delica at the beach. Bummer.
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

I've lost a few Spydercos but not by them falling out of my pocket. Spydercos tend to be pretty grippy compared to other knives in this respect. The G-10 and FRN esp.

I lost a grey CJ once and it really bothered me. I have lost others that were more expensive and it sucked but it was hard to get over the CJ for some reason.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

I did lose a D1SE long ago in the Colorado River though it was no fault of the clip. It was actually clipped to a rope lashing that held together a raft (going for the "Lazy Rat" award in Boy Scouts). Had to repair a lashing and had clipped it there for lack of a better place on my orange "marshmallow man" vest :rolleyes: A friend of mine accidentally bumped it with his foot and dropped it into the water. I was angry, but yes we are still friends :)

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
zeus

Post by zeus »

Lost my Endura II SS SE about eight years ago while climbing around on some coastal rocks near Point Mugu in SoCal. It was clipped in my right rear jeans pocket.
I picked up a replacement at the next gun show. Exact same model, now used mostly for minor kitchen work.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I've lost a trainer and a grey caly jr. I really beat myself up both times over it as well. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I voted before I read the post as well. My yes vote doesn't count. My loss was someone's sticky fingers and had nothing to do with the clip.

I have a SS Police model that prefers to stay on a soft comfy sofa even when it is time to get up. Since carrying that knife, I've just developed the habit of checking pockets when getting up from sitting. Keys? check. Pocketknife? Pocketknife? Pocketknife? Checkx3. Phone? Check. Wallet? Check. etc etc. It takes much less time than typing it. ;)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.